• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 9 "Repairs" Discussion Thread

I'm just watching this episode but FitzSimmons are easily my favorite parts/people of this entire show. I seriously laugh out loud every time they're on screen. Also, great episode so far (I'm in a commercial break)

tumblr_mrlg5hDO3g1qaj0h3o1_250.gif

How do you like that attention?

You watch AoS?! Why don't you post here? :wow:

#WelcomeSawyer!

Things are finally starting to click for this series. After the subpar pilot and lackluster first few episodes i was more or less indifferent to the show. Watching was part of my routine, but the show was more of an afterthought. The last 3 episodes have really started a shift in my psyche and the steady improvement of quality has now made me excited about the show. Even more remarkable is that im finding myself caring about the characters.

This last episode was the best so far! Too bad next weeks is a repeat cuz the ratings were a nice increase but the repeat will kill some of the momentum. The show still isnt what it could be, but its now at least good for what it is!

Yggdrasil in Norse mythology is the 'World Tree' that 'connects' the 9 realms, including Midgard (Earth)

So the Hel of Yggdrasil you mention, would technically be called Niflheim if you're following the Norse mythology of the Marvel Universe. I'm only speculating, but that's my opinion.

All in all a good episode and the ending was too funny :D

There's a Hel in Norse mythology as well as in the Marvel Universe. Apart from both Niffelheim and Muspelheim.

Fitz Simmons are the Zander and Willow of this show.

Coulson, May and Ward = Buffy, Eliza Dushku and Angel

It's TV by numbers. Anyone over-critiquing is wasting their time.

It involves Superheroes. I'll settle for that

I'm not saying they'd be shocked, I'm saying that if the incident were truly that traumatizing for May that she would probably remember the body. That's supposing that she and Coulson didn't immediately make the connection between Skye's parents killed in incident with SHIELD agents --> Skye dropped off at orphanage 20 something years ago. Meanwhile, in that same time frame, we were in an incident that left a lot of people dead ---> we saved a baby and dropped her off at an American orphanage.

I mean, is this a pretty frequent occurrence for SHIELD agents? Is there a form 1-D that deals with parental slaughters followed by infant stairway deposits, that's just how often this little situation pops up? Because otherwise, I expect that if May or Coulson had anything to do with it they would remember. Especially if, as was suggested, the whole "death of Skye's parents" was the same event that earned May the nickname "The Calvary". That's something May relives everyday. If that's so then I feel like she would have a very clear memory of saving Skye and leaving her outside the orphanage, right?

And if that's true, then why would she and Coulson need to further investigate the files to uncover the whole truth behind the incident? In the scene after Coulson tells Skye that a SHIELD agent dropped her off, he asks May to help him find out everything they can and shows her the file. If they were there during the original murder, wouldn't that be unnecessary?

You pretty much nailed the problems with that line of speculation. Add to all that the fact that Skye was born and abandoned in 1989. From what Coulson has said, May retired from field work soon after the Bahrain incident, so if that involved Skye's parents May would have spent 24 years behind a desk. It doesn't add up.

You pretty much nailed the problems with that line of speculation. Add to all that the fact that Skye was born and abandoned in 1989. From what Coulson has said, May retired from field work soon after the Bahrain incident, so if that involved Skye's parents May would have spent 24 years behind a desk. It doesn't add up.

Yeah, I'd place the "Bahrain incident" sometime in this century, probably during the Dubya administration. Likely connected to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Then May's "downtime" would've only lasted a few years, instead of decades.

Something just occurred to me about Bahrain and the "gifted" person whose followers May had to wipe out. Perhaps the "gifted" was the Clairvoyant and the girl being held hostage was Raina, the girl in the flower dress.

As loosely as people use the word "girl" when referring to females, Raina could have been in her late teens or a bit older when the incident happened. Since she was young and SHIELD appears to have treated her as a victim, she would have been released afterward. Raina could then have rejoined the Clairvoyant and continued working for him and Centipede.

That's just speculation on my part, but if true it would tie some of the loose plot threads together. It also makes more sense than Skye being the girl, as that would mean that Melinda May has been piloting a desk for over 20 years. It would have been hard for her to become a SHIELD legend while in her 20s, much less maintain that rep after decades on the sidelines.

Something just occurred to me about Bahrain and the "gifted" person whose followers May had to wipe out. Perhaps the "gifted" was the Clairvoyant and the girl being held hostage was Raina, the girl in the flower dress.

As loosely as people use the word "girl" when referring to females, Raina could have been in her late teens or a bit older when the incident happened. Since she was young and SHIELD appears to have treated her as a victim, she would have been released afterward. Raina could then have rejoined the Clairvoyant and continued working for him and Centipede.

That's just speculation on my part, but if true it would tie some of the loose plot threads together. It also makes more sense than Skye being the girl, as that would mean that Melinda May has been piloting a desk for over 20 years. It would have been hard for her to become a SHIELD legend while in her 20s, much less maintain that rep after decades on the sidelines.

:up:

I like that idea. Raina seems about the right age, and probably the right ethnicity. Ruth Negga could definitely be portraying a Middle Eastern Raina who could have been from Bahrain.

I think next episode is going to answer a lot about the whole Centipede thing as well as pose some new questions. Yay.

I don't think so. A "ghost in the machine" cyberspace entity doesn't equate with a guy whose particle accelerator zapped him to another world and trapped him in between them.

Um, are we thinking of different Ghost's? The guy I remember is a superspy who uses technological devices to become invisible and intangible. He had nothing to do with cyberspace, predating it by like a decade.

Um, are we thinking of different Ghost's? The guy I remember is a superspy who uses technological devices to become invisible and intangible. He had nothing to do with cyberspace, predating it by like a decade.

I don't recall Ghost too well, but he was sort of in an in-between state, able to travel through computer networks even in the pre-Internet era. He was caught in an explosion/accident of some sort that bonded him with his own "ghost" technology that he had been developing. Hence the "ghost in the machine" reference.

I don't recall Ghost too well, but he was sort of in an in-between state, able to travel through computer networks even in the pre-Internet era. He was caught in an explosion/accident of some sort that bonded him with his own "ghost" technology that he had been developing. Hence the "ghost in the machine" reference.

Which.... isn't "too far off" of the guy from this episode. It's basically ghost without the ghost-tech.

Fitz Simmons are the Zander and Willow of this show.

Coulson, May and Ward = Buffy, Eliza Dushku and Angel

It's TV by numbers. Anyone over-critiquing is wasting their time.

It involves Superheroes. I'll settle for that

There's barely any resemblance between any of those characters.

I've been watching every episode and would have to say this was the lamest one. Hope they rebound off of this.

I really enjoyed all the suspense in this episode. The nature of the danger, plus the dark and confined space used for the setting made the story very suspenseful. And I liked how they tied the plot elements to the larger MCU elements involving Thor, Asgard and other worlds.

The ending with May was great. I liked how they focused on her throughout the episode, and the end was perfect. :D

Anyone think tobias might be the mcu version of Ghost? The gas mask somewhat similar powers, and constant wordage of "Ghost" seemed to certainly be nods at him

Yeah, I had the same thought. His powers were similar to the Ghost in the comics, with his constant vanishing. Here it was shown that he did it by moving between worlds. Also, Tobias was shown to be a technician, and the Ghost in the comics was also a tech expert. And you're right, the constant use of the word "ghost" made me think of the comics Ghost too.

Well directed episode; very suspenseful. Melinda May is my favorite character in this series along with Coulson, hope she sticks around.

This show does best when using lore - these last two episodes are a testament to that imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"