• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 10 "The Bridge" Discussion Thread

Well, I finally got around to watching the last episode.

After seeing the first few episodes, I asked myself the question "What is the purpose of this show's existence?" After half a season, I still find myself asking the same question. Seriously. When you have the entire Marvel universe to play with, why go ahead first with a bunch of no-name/non-comic SHIELD agents as opposed to Daredevil or someone else? The only logical reason for going this route is to use SHIELD as a means of expanding the rest of the universe. However, that is not what they did so far. There have been very few comic book stuff and the plot itself as a whole moves very slow. This is not a comic book. You can't have as many ongoing titles as you want and cancel them whenever you want (either after 2 or 1000 issues). Live-action doesn't work that way due to the obvious physical reasons. So what is the point of doing a show with these particular characters and that barely touches the rest of the Marvel universe?

"But the show needs to stand on its own two legs!" I keep hearing that argument and frankly, I don't buy it for multiple reasons.

1) When you're doing a Marvel TV show, it is foolish to go into it not expecting universe-building Marvel stuff, especially in a SHIELD show. Thus arguing "Why do you want/were you expecting more Marvel stuff anyways?" is a bit unfair IMO.

2) "Standing on its own legs" and doing more comic book stuff are not mutually exclusive. Arrow is littered with comic book stuff every week and is still a show that stands on its own legs. The key is to not make it obvious to the GA that you're just adding more comic book stuff in.

But most importantly....

3) This show isn't even doing a great job of making the best of what they have with the material they're working with right now. The plot is too episodic and too slow paced - the background stuff with Coulson and May drags on for way too long.

Certain characters aren't even used to their full potential and, in many cases, are pushed to the side in favor of less interesting + less complex characters.

I'm going to say something that I'll probably get tons of crap for: Mike Peterson should have been the guy who got on the plane instead of Skye at the start. He would have been a much better "window" into the show IMO. If you think about it, he is in the exact same situation Skye is in: a character with a messed up but interesting backstory who is trying to become a different person and has joined SHIELD in order to do so. The differences between Mike and Skye though? Mike has powers thus you can do more interesting things with him (since we are in a superhero universe), has already had his superhero "origin" in episode 1, is more likeable, less annoying, is played by a major actor from Angel, would have given the show a stronger tie to the MCU due to Extremis without ever touching Iron Man characters, etc. Furthermore, Mike had a character fits perfectly in tone with their direction. They want a show about how normal humans feel compared to superheroes? Mike had that theme written all over him. Let's see: was a normal guy with bad luck in life, felt inferior to superheroes, then gained powers and used them in the way a normal human would, then learned Coulson's message about what really separates the Avengers from normal humans (what they do with that power, not the power itself), and is now applying that message in his life + is on the path to hero.

Another example: Ward. They state in episode 1 he has "the best espionage skills since Romanov". Think about what that means, especially for a young character like Ward. Black Widow is at superhero status. Why not have more focus on Ward and his espionage skills to show how a young "normal" spy can evolve to someone on Natasha's level? Again, still in line with the whole "normal humans can be just as heroic" theme. Furthermore, Ward has a much more interesting past than Skye's "Where are my parents" past IMO. Yet the show's motto so far seems to have been "We'll develop Ward whenever we are not busy with Skye". Mike & Ward...both characters shoved to the side since episode 2 in favor of propping up Skye.

Why not further explore the Coulson/Ward dynamic? They have something original here - the young agent being the cynical "by the book" one and the older & experienced agent being the optimistic one. 99% of fiction usually does the same dynamic in reverse. They actually bent the formula for once. But nope. We need more Coulson/Skye dynamic development.

Then there is Fitz-Simmons. Originally two-dimensional symbiotic characters with barely any character, if at all. Now we will do an episode where we'll temporarily separate them to show Fitz's potential as a field agent. Then we'll just return him to his symbiotic status with Simmons. Of course we also had the chance in one particular episode to kill off Simmons and use that as an opportunity to further grow Fitz into his own character, but we decided not to go for it. Back to the "half a character" status with both of them.

If the mysterious leader of this Centipede organization doesn't end up being a comic book character, that would be another wasted opportunity at expanding the universe IMO.

The show is ok so far, but it isn't doing much to keep people excited. The whole "this is in the MCU" hype only lasted the first 2 or 3 weeks. It isn't surprising the show is losing ratings. They seriously need to step up their game IMO.

Libra would be cool. I think Blizzard will actually be real Blizzard more or less, and is another comic book character they're adding. I think it just takes time, Marvel has probably already found out who the favorite characters on the show are...

If they use the latent inhuman route for Blizzard, and Centipede experiments on this young version of Blizzard they might extract freezing powers or something out of his genetics. Other characters on the show might secretly be latent inhumans, whose powers became active early in life. Coulson hints that Skye has a gift for reading people in one episode, and that's why he wanted her on the team. He hinted that one day she could maybe do her own thing. Coulson gives her a name for the Asset/Liability Index and she says it's a bad name...We don't know Skye's real name, or her past, but some of it matches up with Jessica Jones, who starts her own private investigation firm called A.L.I.A.S. in the comics. I believe Coulson was hinting that she will leave the Show and start Alias on Netflix eventually.. I think there's a huge chance Skye actually is Jessica Jones, and will be spun off this show to Netflix, sometimes returning. If Skye is Jessica Jones, and Jones secretly has latent superpowers activated by a chemical spill, that continue to unlock later in life, then I can see things changing quite a bit in the end of the season.

The character Equinox has control over fire and ice powers and might show up in the show and/or Ant Man.. Blizzard only has the ice powers, but Equinox might end up having a balance of the Extremis fire shooting/melting powers, super soldier serum, a little bit of gamma radiation, and Blizzard's unique genetics in him. He's able to handle having all the powers in him so they call him Equinox. Libra, Equinox, and Scorpio start out working for Centipede and Raina but Po and/or the Clairvoyant knows about the Zodiac key that Peggy dealt with in the one shot. Shield recovers the Zodiac key and Po and Tarleton eventually want it. The Clairvoyant is Modok who is in constant contact with Po's mind (he didn't have to really go meet him). When Raina touched Po's hand Modok felt it in his mind, the sensation traveled down his tiny clone body, and he doesn't like anyone seeing him or touching him after what happened to his head, brain and body. Po is the only one Modok/Tarleton trusts and sees, but Centipede knows The Clairvoyant was an AIM scientist who was working with Killian. And can give them details on Extremis etc. Once the Clairvoyant's mind was able to be reached through Po, Centipede/Hydra could fix Extremis on their own... The plan changed to grabbing Coulson to find out more about how to make perfect clones... (modok's clone bodies wither, and his head is all wrong after trying to become biomechanic in some ways like Coulson now is... Modok's forced to ride around in a hover chair, they wanna know more about how Shield makes their clones and programs their minds like computers).

Right now only Po would be able to meet/talk to Modok telepathically because he too possesses some latent powers of clairvoyance. Both Po and Modok are clairvoyants, Raina has this power too ("I like your dress", "I know"). Skye knew people with such powers existed..but Modok took his powers even further and makes people gauge their eyes out if they see his true form. If Raina does get past Po's mind and sees Modok behind it he will gauge her eyes out. Modok doesn't like being seen anymore...And works through Po right now. If someone gets a mental picture of who he really is he makes it so they never see again, and Raina has such pretty eyes...

Last edited:
Presumably, Cap would push it with the superhuman strength the MCU version possesses. The issue is less that, and more. . . if those weight values for it are accurate, it seems like pushing it would be a step too far for Cap. I can easily buy Cap pushing it if it weighed 5-10 tons ( note that "pushing" is not the same as "lifting" ). 50 tons? Seems a bit much. I haven't really seen anything in the movies to point to Cap being Spider-man strong; he seems more a step down from that.

It was brought to my attention that the bulldozer pushed looked more like a John Deere 764 which actually weighs more like 7 tons. (I remember a three diver number on the side of bulldozers but I don't remember what they are, can someone check who taped it?) Bulldozers range in sizes and I was told that the one shown would be way to small for a bulldozer that weighed 50.

But then, I work in a lab, so I myself have no clue.

It was brought to my attention that the bulldozer pushed looked more like a John Deere 764 which actually weighs more like 7 tons. (I remember a three diver number on the side of bulldozers but I don't remember what they are, can someone check who taped it?) Bulldozers range in sizes and I was told that the one shown would be way to small for a bulldozer that weighed 50.

I posted the following in the Cap 2 thread. It's accurate. At this point I think the likeliest explanation is either that Cap is just that strong, or the writers simply weren't concerned with the exact weight of the equipment.

Liebherr PR 764. Operating weight: 97,488 - 116,150 lbs (48 to 58 tons)

3G6DL61.jpg

0LzhkTx.jpg

As you can see the John Deere 764 looks quite different (and weighs 17 tons according to the specs)

GsBjSHf.jpg

I posted the following in the Cap 2 thread. It's accurate. At this point I think the likeliest explanation is either that Cap is just that strong, or the writers simply weren't concerned with the exact weight of the equipment.

As you can see the John Deere 764 looks quite different (and weighs 17 tons according to the specs)

GsBjSHf.jpg

I think they just liked the idea, and underestimated the weight.

Or maybe he pushed it while it was in Neutral, I dunno.

If that's the case, than all my objections basically go away. Pushing a 7 ton bulldozer should be easily possible for Cap, given his general movie portrayal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"