Alex Proyas to Direct Paradise Lost

I am curious as to just what kind of visuals this movie was going to have that it just couldn't be made with today's technology.
I recently bought the latest Cinefex issue. Technology developed for Avatar was used to great effect for Reel Steel.
It actually helped the movie because the budget was kept under control.

More like great fortune. 300 doing as big as it did at the box office and becoming a pop culture sensation were great contributors of goodwill to Zack's credit. With the notoriety of the Watchmen story, WB felt confident he would be a nice blend of the fanboy sensibilities needed to please the core audience, but have enough mainstream acuity to know what the larger demographic wants in a comic book film.

Often in Hollywood you need your breakout film to get to pull off these (expensive) passion projects. It makes sense, as hundreds and millions of dollars are at stake. It's not demanding to ask a director earns that trust.

I agree.
You make the studios $$$ and in return the studios will give you money and creative freedom to make your movies.
Without TDK making a billion dollars , WB probably would've given that much freedom carte blanche to Nolan to make Inception.

Ditto James Cameron.
He frikkin got a 190 million budget to make Avatar. In the end it grew to 256 million but you guys get my point.

My point is, GL was just as much a risk, maybe more so because of the bigger budget, than this movie.

Every movie is a risk that could potentially create a multi million dollar loss.
At the same time you can sorta judge that based on brand recognisation and/or star power , movies might make money.
Which allows studios to take bigger risks like increasing budgets.

Crap. I was really looking forward to this. I was also looking forward to Arthur & Lancelot. Two of my most anticipated projects canned or shelved

I know a few people who were working on this. They're all pretty bummed. It was looking very cool. :csad:

i hope we will get to see the test footage in 2012 and not in 2016.

I have a shirt from NYCC hanging in my closet.

Wonder what should be done with it now lol.

someone needs to go to prison for Skyline and battle:LA

Say what you want about Skyline, but the production values and CGI for that movie was incredible. Of course, the Strause Brothers owned the company hydraulx, which did the CGI work. The cost control for that movie was exceptionally well-done -- $10M-20M without prints and marketing costs.

Shame about the script and acting. Beyond woeful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"