ALIEN going to be remade?

Nathan

Avenger
Reaction score
First Predator, Now It's 'Alien' Being Remade
Thursday, May 28, 200

I know I defend (some) remakes, but there are those occasions that cause me to vomit a little in my mouth and then brush my teeth for hours trying to get the taste out. I just got back from spending an hour in the bathroom and no matter how hard I brushed, how much toothpaste I used, or how much mouthwash I swished, the taste just wouldn't go away. Alien is getting the ol' reboot treatment, courtesy of the fine folks at 20th Century Fox. Read on for the skinny.

Update (12:07am, May 28): We just heard from a separate reliable source that Fox is possibly working on an origins story, as opposed to a straight-up remake. Still...

In January we broke the news that Robert Rodriguez's Troublemaker Studios would be producing a reboot of Predator for 20th Century Fox. Our regular tipster was proven correct once again as the story was confirmed in April. Our tipster even scooped us on who would be penning the remake, now titled Predators.

So Mr. Anonymous is back again. And being that 20th Century Fox is remaking Predator, it doesn't surprise me at all that Fox is also going back to their catalog for a reboot of Ridley Scott's Alien.

What our tipster informed us is that - opposite the Predator situation - the plan is to stick with the original concept of only one alien on the ship.

Michael Costigan, Ridley Scott and even Tony Scott are all on board to produce and have tapped Carl Rinsch to get beyond the camera and bring a new Ripley to the big screen.

Who is Carl Rinsch? I'm being told he's a commercial/music video director and does work for Scott Free Productions, who is also producing the remake.

In the original, the terror begins when the crew of a spaceship investigates a transmission from a desolate planet, and discovers a life form that is perfectly evolved to annihilate mankind. One by one, each crew member is slain until only Ripley is left, leading to an explosive conclusion that sets the stage for its stunning sequel, Aliens (my favorite film of all-time).

We'll keep you posted on any updates, but that's what we got for you this evening. Remember to take it as rumor until confirmed as many projects change through the course of development.

Source: Bloody Disgusting

On the surface, this news makes me feel sick.

However, only a month or so ago there was news that Ridley Scott was toying with the idea of creating a new Alien film. Here's the story-chunk from /Film...

20th Century Fox head Tom Rothman revealed to IESB that there is “some talk” of an Alien “prequel” to go along with the recently announced Robert Rodriguez-produced Predator reboot Predators. Rothman confirms that director Ridley Scott is “toying around with the idea.” And the Fox head gives the impression that another Alien movie, be it sequel, prequel or reboot, would only happen with Scott’s involvement.

If he was on board, I'd actually be quite happy with a new Alien film, however it fits into the Alien story. It can't be worst than Alien 3 or Resurrection, can it? I just pray that talks with Ridley or rumors of his involvement won't fall through or turn out to be rumor, because we'd probably end up with a shaky-cam, CGI, PG-13, suspense-sparse Alien film.

"Alien" + Ridley Scott - David Giler = :up:
"Alien" + James Cameron - David Giler = :up:

"Alien" + David Giler + Some Hack who's not Ridley Scott or James Cameron = :down

"Alien" + Continuation or Prequel = skeptically :up:
"Alien" + Remake = :down

And any "Alien" - Sigourney Weaver = :down

Do the math, 20th Century...or don't do the project at all.

It better not be called friggin' "ALIEN".

IF it's a prequel, I don't care. If it's an actual remake/reboot, I will scream because this is desperate of Fox.

Yeah, if this is a prequel produced by Ridley Scott then.. right on! That's what it sounds like it's going to be judging by this update:

"We just heard from a separate reliable source that Fox is possibly working on an origins story, as opposed to a straight-up remake. "

then sites should STOP it with the 'reboot' nonsense then.

What they need to do, if anything, is finish up Ripley's story by having her (by her I mean the Ripley Clone from 'Resurrection') go to the Alien Planet and make a final stand on the actual homeworld of the Xenomorphs...maybe reveal that the Space Jockeys created the Alien as some sort of bio-weapon that got out of hand.

And then to make it really interesting, have the climax be Ripley and a Space Jockey piloting the ship off of the planet with a Queen on board. They pass through some sort of time displacement effect in space and decide to crash the ship in one last ditch attempt to destroy the Aliens once and for all. Ripley sets up a Warning signal to inform any passing ships to stay away and she crashes the ship into a barren planetoid, killing herself and all the Aliens on board.

But...the Space Jockey that was with Ripley gives birth to a Queen Chest-Burster just before they crash and die...

And it turns out the planetoid is what will become LV-426...the film ends with the Warning that Ripley sent out being recieved by the Nostromo!

Then the entire series not only wraps up Ripley's journey as a character...but the entire story becomes circular.

Last edited:
if the movie is about the Space Jockeys, I wouldn't mind that.

Then the entire series not only wraps up Ripley's journey as a character...but the entire story becomes circular.

I think her entire story became just a little too convoluted. I love Ripley as a character. But I really have no interest in the Ripley Clone character. It ended with three.

Well yeah it is convoluted...but at the very least it should be given a proper ending. Of course it already did with "Alien 3" but they went ahead and f**ked with it by making the 4th film...and since "Alien: Resurrection" can't be unmade, the next best thing would be to give Ripley a 2nd chance at a fulfilling ending and make it stick.

Having her actually go to their planet and sacrifice herself to wipe out the entire race (not just one embryo) would raise the stakes higher than her self-sacrifice on Fiorina 161.

But that's just how I feel.

Besides the sooner they wrap up Ripley's story and do her character one final justice, they could conceivably begin a new chapter in the "Alien" story with another character or something out of the comics...sort of broaden the horizons.

if the movie is about the Space Jockeys, I wouldn't mind that.

A alien prequel with those weird Space Jockeys produced by Ridley Scott and design by H.R.Giger would be awesome.

A remake of Alien terrible idea.

Also for the love of all thats holy Tom Rothman better not make this movie PG13 and an hour long. The last thing anyone wants to see is an Alien movie the Dragon Ball movie style.

reBOOT the Alien franchise by going back to it's horror/thriller roots? :up:

reMAKE the original Alien movie with another actress in the role of Ripley? :down

I know another movie that tried calling itself an origin story instead of a remake Halloween. And it sucked

If it's a prequel and has either Scott or Cameron involvement then im fine with it, but if it's a remake/reboot then I absolutely hate the idea.

Is anybody else starting to feel like with every one of these reboots/remakes they make, yet another piece of their childhood is being ret-conned?

This **** is getting ridiculous. I've said it before. Everyday now a new "re-imagining" is being announced.

My first gut reaction is to be totally against this, but i'll try to keep an open mind until some more details are released.

I hope 4 years from now this thread is still open and the movie rocks and everyone can go to the first page and laugh at what we thought because I'd rather look like an a$$ than have a crappy Alien remake out there

Let me guess:

Keanu Reeves is Alan Ripley

Seriously though, what is the point of remaking a timeless classic? Fox has gotten so desperate for a hit that now, they've resorted to recycling the good movies in their classic library. I hope this movie flops even worse than AVP 2! I don't care if it means the death of the franchise, because the franchise was completed with the second movie!

Seriously though, what is the point of remaking a timeless classic? Fox has gotten so desperate for a hit that now, they've resorted to recycling the good movies in their classic library. I hope this movie flops even worse than AVP 2! I don't care if it means the death of the franchise, because the franchise was completed with the second movie!

You know, I understand the hatred for Fox that a lot of you have, I do. But Fox does just as well as any other movie studio, hell they have the number one movie in America right now while WB's movie is flopping, so stop with the "Fox has gotten so desperate" bs. All of hollywood is going remake crazy now. It's like the writers strike caused all the writers to not be able to turn their brains back on and come up with original ideas.

NO NO NO

We don't need Ripley any more. We don't need a ****ing remake. Let's advance the story from Aliens, find out about their origin, or attack their homeworld or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"