All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a lawyer. i can only go off what i see and what I know.
If I had a car and I sell it to you and then you turn it into the Knight rider car and somehow make millions off of it...can I then turn around and sue you for some of that profit????

If you had the idea to turn it into the Knight Rider car and named it KITT then you might have a case.

Not sure if this has been posted, but I found this plot summary of the Man of Steel at Rotten Tomatoes.

Synopsis: Super powered Clark Kent has travelled the world for years as a journalist trying to find his place in the world. Arriving in Metropolis, he realises his place and potential as the world's greatest hero: Superman. An immediate hero, he soon comes... Super powered Clark Kent has travelled the world for years as a journalist trying to find his place in the world. Arriving in Metropolis, he realises his place and potential as the world's greatest hero: Superman. An immediate hero, he soon comes across the path of Lex Luthor, a business mogul who owns almost all of Metropolis through corrupt and illegal methods with the help of crime syndicate Intergang. Their battle is soon disrupted by the dramatic appearance of an alien ship and Brainiac, a rogue alien super computer who has come in search of an all powerful crystal. He recognises Superman as the owner of the crystal revealing his origin as an alien and holds the world to ransom in exchange for the crystal. Superman must find the strength to defeat Brainiac by using the full extent of his powers, will and hope for humanity and discover his true origins to become the greatest hero of them all.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman-man-of-steel/

Last edited:
Its funny getting all these snyopsis I remember several popping up for Superman Returns that involved Mettallo and Zod.

Hi everyone, as a person who's still warming up with superman mythos (i'm more of a Bat-fan), I want to discuss something about David Goyer's story in Action Comics #900. First of all, it was very moving for me ( although the art was awful ) . A lot of reaction about this particular story. This reactions, in my point of view why Superman is such a hard character to adapt, especially in a more Critical or Modern context. As a non-fan of Supes,( i love the character, just never a fan). To me, this is (so far,anyway) the most effective way to tell a contemporary Superman story. Maybe it's a little left-wing,or world weary for some people's taste. I don't want superman to be a political tool, but i want the reflective side of him. The side that maybe he's not so consistent after all, he's inability to solve social problems. Maybe this is how Goyer convinced Nolan about Superman Context. I wont spoil the story (it involves certain citizenship issue). What do you guys think? Is this story a gateway to MoS Superman character? Sorry for my bad english

The families and WB must reach a deal, otherwise we will see the real death of Superman. The Siegel and Shuster's may not like it, but some very important aspects of the Superman mythos were not created by their fathers. If they think fans will buy into Superman without these popular aspects, then they're out of their minds. If both parties want to continue making money they must settle this.

I must say the people who come in here with rose colored glasses and put the Siegel and Shuster families on a pedestal puzzle me. These people are willing to give a lawyer, who has made no contributions to the character, rights to Superman. Their intentions are less than noble if you ask me.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, as a person who's still warming up with superman mythos (i'm more of a Bat-fan), I want to discuss something about David Goyer's story in Action Comics #900. First of all, it was very moving for me ( although the art was awful ) . A lot of reaction about this particular story. This reactions, in my point of view why Superman is such a hard character to adapt, especially in a more Critical or Modern context. As a non-fan of Supes,( i love the character, just never a fan). To me, this is (so far,anyway) the most effective way to tell a contemporary Superman story. Maybe it's a little left-wing,or world weary for some people's taste. I don't want superman to be a political tool, but i want the reflective side of him. The side that maybe he's not so consistent after all, he's inability to solve social problems. Maybe this is how Goyer convinced Nolan about Superman Context. I wont spoil the story (it involves certain citizenship issue). What do you guys think? Is this story a gateway to MoS Superman character? Sorry for my bad english

It has been discussed further up in this thread and also in this thread in the Comics forum:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=352713

The families and WB must reach a deal, otherwise we will see the real death of Superman. The Siegel and Shuster's may not like it, but some very important aspects of the Superman mythos were not created by their fathers. If they think fans will buy into Superman without these popular aspects, then they're out of their minds. If both parties want to continue making money they must settle this.

Agreed.

Maybe this is how Goyer convinced Nolan about Superman Context. I wont spoil the story (it involves certain citizenship issue). What do you guys think? Is this story a gateway to MoS Superman character?

I was thinking about that supposed idea Goyer approached Nolan with while I was reading it- that it might be the whole aspect of Superman as a political tool, and the "American Way" idea. Also, we've seen them exploring Batman as a symbol and using it in the context of crime and corruption in Gotham. With Superman, it does look like they are going to explore his role in relation to world politics and how he deals with the real problems of the world. Also, with Snyder talking a lot about making Superman "real", in the real world, it's not just visually, but also I think they chose Zod because he is not only a physical match, but he is also political, the movie can explore "the Kryptonian way" as well. Superman will have to decide where he stands not only with the politics of his country, and other countries, but his homeworld, and their ideas of justice as well. So a more "human" villain can make the movie more grounded rather than fighting a giant monster right off the bat. Though of course the fact that Zod and co. can fly and fight will also provide the action and fight scenes.

Last edited:
I would would enjoy a story like that, but I hope they don't get too bogged down in seriousness. We need to have some balance between the political issues and fun moments, like Iron Man.

Last edited:
I would would enjoy a story like that, but I hope they don't get to bogged down in seriousness. We need to have some balance between the political issues and fun moments, like Iron Man.

It could very easily slip into too much seriousness, though they did fit in serious stuff with Begins and Dark Knight along with all the action. As long as the plot flows along it shouldn't get too bogged down. I remember the old rumour from moviehole:

“This Superman is neither a reboot or a sequel. It’s just a Superman film. The basic elements of the storyline are: BIG action, BIG set-pieces, witty dialogue, playful romance, a light-hearted feelgood mood juxtaposed with derring-do and danger, top-notch cast, epic feel, sci-fi background (sounds a little like Donner, right?) BUT with some sort of huge twist on the legend.”

though with Nolan involved you would expect some seriousness and they would want to put some weighty themes along with the action.

I havent read the issue as I am on vacation and away from my comic shop...however the story raises questions in my mind if Goyer understands Superman.

Superman:" People think I work for the US Government."
Man:"Why would they think that?"
Superman:"....well...um...i hold the flag a lot."
Man:"So do anti american protesters"
Superman:"Yeah well Im gonna have to renounce my american citizenship."
Man:"Couldnt you just hold a press conference and say your actions are not the actions of the US Government. That way you can still be an inspiration to all peoples around the globe."
Superman:"Nope I gotta do drastic stuff...next Im gonna take all the nuclear weapons and throw them into the sun."
Man:"When did I walk into a Quest for Peace prequel?"
Lol, funny stuff....
God, I hate this P.C. world we live in.

I must say the people who come in here with rose colored glasses and put the Siegel and Shuster families on a pedestal puzzle me. These people are willing to give a lawyer, who has made no contributions to the character, rights to Superman. Their intentions are less than noble if you ask me.

I think there will be a deal just a lot of people trying to get more by standing their ground. But good post.

im sure this plot line wont even appear again in the comics. but, it would be cool if they followed it up with superman going to give his speech to the UN saying he feels he needs to renounce his citizenship o his actions arent seen as american politics and starting international incidents. but, instead, in response to that, the UN grants him citizenship to every UN country. it'd actually be a really neat and touching moment.

im sure this plot line wont even appear again in the comics. but, it would be cool if they followed it up with superman going to give his speech to the UN saying he feels he needs to renounce his citizenship o his actions arent seen as american politics and starting international incidents. but, instead, in response to that, the UN grants him citizenship to every UN country. it'd actually be a really neat and touching moment.

that would be cool...except Superman was given that privilege a long time ago

that would be cool...except Superman was given that privilege a long time ago

right, i know, which is where the idea is obviously coming from, but clearly current continuity isnt recognizing it. so it would be a good way to re-instate it.

Its weird this Adam Harris could end up looking like the biggest liar on the planet, doing this isn't going to get him the Lex Luthor role so is there a possibility there's some truth in it?!

I'm thinking that too. Why would this guy be so forward about it? Then again, it's CBM and I think they are the only site that keeps mentioning this guy.

Adam Harris would have to keep quiet though, yet he talks about himself and the actress Lana Lang...If he were involved he wouldn't be talking about it.

Then again, it's CBM and I think they are the only site that keeps mentioning this guy.

Yeah, and all the "rumors" about Adam Harris were post by the same guy, with no other source...

The guy is really trying extra hard to get his name out there- "leaking" his name to "news" outlets, posing for those cheesy Lex photos, talking as if he were really in the casting process on Twitter. He's just using Superman to get some sort of name for himself. It's working in a way- we know who he is now- though it's a joke.

C'mon people,
He went out with this red headed chick and then as an obvious joke tweets that she is trying out for Lana.
This guy is a joke.
Since Andrew knows so much, someone should tweet him and ask him about the movie script, I'm sure he would have something to say about it. Hell, ask him what the new costume looks like.

You know, I can't believe a Superman fan would not only boycott DC and WB, but the character itself over Action Comics #900. Superman isn't David Goyer, Superman isn't Warner Bros. Superman is an idea that has existed for a long time and has been through many different incarnations. You don't like Goyer's Superman? You have John Byrne's version who boasts about being born on American soil after finding out he's an alien from a dead planet. Be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"