Sequels 'Amazing Spider-Man': 12 Burning Questions For The Sequel

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
Here is an article about the movie I found at mtv.com.

'Amazing Spider-Man': 12 Burning Questions For The Sequel

1. Who Is The Villain? That's question numero uno: who will Spidey face next, and will it be the same guy we saw in the "Amazing" post-credits scene? If so, who is that guy? Norman Osborn? Elektro? Mysterio? Someone else? But before we think too much about the new villain, let's dwell on the old for a minute...

2. Are We Done With Curt Connors? To the surprise of everyone — Rhys Ifans included — Doctor Connors managed to survive "The Amazing Spider-Man." Sure, he's on lockdown in some sort of maximum security facility, but when has incarceration ever truly stopped a super-villain? The question is, if we do see Connors again, will it be a major appearance, or more of a cameo ala Cillian Murphy's Scarecrow in the "Dark Knight" trilogy?

3. Will We Meet Norman Osborn? Whether or not he was the villain seen in the post-credits scene, Spider-Man's most iconic foe will have a role to play in the "Amazing" series. He's name-checked numerous times throughout the film, and is even seen in silhouette form at one point. Stormin' Norman's arrival isn't a matter of if, just a matter of when.

4. How About Harry? Less certain is the involvement of Norman's son and Peter Parker's longtime friend. Unlike Norman, Harry's name is never mentioned in "Amazing." Parker's high school social circle is already well established, and it does not include Harry, at least not yet. Will he make his debut alongside his father, or will this series of movies exclude the character entirely?

5. Maybe Mary Jane? Likewise, will the "Spider-Man" sequel introduce the fiery redhead once played by Kirsten Dunst? Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy is the leading lady to beat at the moment, but we all know how that story plays out. If we want to get the sense that love and life will go on for Peter even after his lowest of lows, wouldn't introducing MJ in the second "Spider-Man" movie help to reinforce that idea?

6. Will Gwen Stacy Die? Like Norman, the death of Gwen isn't much a question of if it will happen, but when. If the "Amazing" movies follow the "Dark Knight" model, Gwen's death could easily occur during movie two, following in the fragged footsteps of Rachel Dawes. Perhaps the upcoming sequel is still too early for Gwen's demise, but keep that box of Kleenex ready just in case.

7. Where's J. Jonah Jameson? And, more importantly, where's J.K. Simmons? The Daily Bugle clearly exists in the "Amazing Spider-Man" universe, which means JJJ exists as well. And we want to see him played by Simmons! If Dame Judi Dench's M can exist in both the Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig 007 continuities, there's no reason Simmons can't carry over from the Raimi era to the Webb-verse.

8. What's Up With Peter's Parents? The untold story remains untold. Though "Amazing" laid the groundwork for what happened to Peter's folks, we still don't have a clear answer — though somebody, namely that mysterious villain (and perhaps even Curt Connors), seems to have some inside scoop. Will we get an info dump on the Richard Parker mystery ala the Architect's infamous "Matrix: Reloaded" monologue, or more of a teaser along the lines of Yoda's "there is another" revelation near the end of "Empire Strikes Back"?

9. Will Marc Webb Return? I guess that last question depends on whether Webb is returning to direct or not. He did an excellent job with "Amazing," earning Sony truckloads of money and strong reviews for a film that many expected to fail on both counts. Webb's return to the "Spider-Man" director's chair would be a welcome one, but at this moment in time, it's still an uncertainty.

10. Will There Be Venom? Looking towards the future of "Spider-Man," will the sequel tease us on the existence of the Venom symbiote in the "Amazing" universe? Sony definitely has a "Venom" movie in the works, and producers have indicated their desire to see that film exist in the same universe as the new "Spider-Man" movies. Perhaps we can look forward to a Venom teaser as part of the next movie's post-credits scene.

11. Will It Be Mighty? Andrew Garfield wanted to be in "Avengers." Heck, even the "Spider-Man" producers almost allowed Oscorp Tower to appear in the Marvel Studios film's New York City skyline. With both of these movies kicking all kinds of box-office butt, will the "Avengers" and "Spider-Man" producers realize it's in their mutual best interest to join forces for either a "Spider-Man" sequel shout-out or, dare we dream it, a full-on "Avengers" cameo?

12. Will It Be Spectacular? I don't mean quality-wise. I'm talking about the title. If we're drawing from comics lore, then perhaps "The Spectacular Spider-Man" makes the most sense. But there's no shortage of possible titles to consider, from "Sensational" to "Astonishing" and beyond. Here's hoping it won't simply be "The Amazing Spider-Man 2." That would be boring and decidedly not amazing.

Last edited:
OT question but I've read "Stormin' Norman" alot of times, where is that coming from?

Isn't that from the first Spider-Man movie? He was referred to as Stormin' Norman I think.

OT question but I've read "Stormin' Norman" alot of times, where is that coming from?

General Norman Schwarzkopf was also known as 'Stormin Norman' he was a commander in the gulf war so it's just pop culture thing to call anyone with the name Norman "stormin" and on a side note, Peter refers to Norman as stormin Norman in an episode of ultimate spider man

I think Harry says something like "Stormin Norman is making his phone calls."

General Norman Schwarzkopf was also known as 'Stormin Norman' he was a commander in the gulf war so it's just pop culture thing to call anyone with the name Norman "stormin" and on a side note, Peter refers to Norman as stormin Norman in an episode of ultimate spider man

I think Harry says something like "Stormin Norman is making his phone calls."

Sweet, thanks for the info!

lmao I guess not! I don't think we ever talked about the general in class.

Well to be fair it is fairly recent history and we all know how dusty some history books are. I'm sure some of these questions will begin to be answered in the upcoming months. Production starts the first quarter of 2013 but for me, it all starts with Webb being back. If he's in I'm hype if he's not I'm disappointed

I really do hope that Marc Webb stays. However, him leaving may not be the worst thing. His focus seems to be on the relationships in the film, and perhaps a new director would be able to balance out the action and drama a little more.

I really do hope that Marc Webb stays. However, him leaving may not be the worst thing. His focus seems to be on the relationships in the film, and perhaps a new director would be able to balance out the action and drama a little more.

Fair but I also feel with him getting his feet wet, he'll have a better idea of how to balance it out. Gotta remember this is only his second flick

I always thought that since SM2 got a lot of the character development out of the way, the third film would be able to focus on more of the action. In the end it had the most drama out of all three movies. :doh:

I think now that we have Spider-Man's origin told, we can get right into more action and a villain that is really portrayed well. Lizard is nowhere near as bad as Sandman or Venom, but I am disappointed.

I wonder if they will introduce Harry Osborn in this film series. They might just ignore him like with Connor's family.

I always thought that since SM2 got a lot of the character development out of the way, the third film would be able to focus on more of the action. In the end it had the most drama out of all three movies. :doh:

I think now that we have Spider-Man's origin told, we can get right into more action and a villain that is really portrayed well. Lizard is nowhere near as bad as Sandman or Venom, but I am disappointed.

I wonder if they will introduce Harry Osborn in this film series. They might just ignore him like with Connor's family.
I don't think a spider man flick should ever skimp on character development. I think there always needs to be that which is why I love this flick so much. The action will be there because of the nature of the beast but the best spider man stories are always about Peter at their core.
And with Connors being alive still there's nothing that says Martha and Billy can't show up in a sequel but we'll see. And they're seniors in high school in this movie so there is a good chance Harry shows up at ESU

If they don't open the second movie with an all out brawl with a minor villain, I'm gonna smack somebody.

If they don't open the second movie with an all out brawl with a minor villain, I'm gonna smack somebody.
I think the movie could open up with a battle with a villain. We'll see. It could also open up with the man in the shadows, or something to do with Peter's parents.

Harry and Norman should definitely be introduced in ASM2 (perhaps TSSM? :p).

The movie needs someone to fill the void of the 'best friend' role. Harry is the guy. Norman can take the role of a supporting adult figure (who perhaps may end up suggest less moral things than the previous ones, Captain Stacy and Uncle Ben). And, Mary Jane can possibly be introduced in ASM2, perhaps in the way flickchick mentioned (the way Spectacular Spider-Man did it, introduce Peter to MJ to get over Gwen, but have them not click).

Mary Jane should be introduced as "there's this girl I want you to introduce to the neighborhood Peter, help show her around a little." "Maybe. I have a girlfriend though Aunt May." "You might end up liking her, just as a friend." "Maybe." Have that and THEN in the middle of the second act INTRODUCE MJ. Build up Green Goblin throughout this film and have him be the villain in the third film. Have Gwen die at the end of the first film.

WHAT'S THE TRILOGY ENDING?

Peter sad in his apartment, MJ closes the door for them to have a heart to heart alone.

Harry sees his father killed by the glider.

Just like in the comics. We already know what happens from there. We've seen a version of it before. And this will really be, in my mind, the best way to be accurate to the comics and set up the drama properly as well as the villains. Gwen's death and GG most certainly shouldn't be until the third film.

Also keep in mind in earlier interviews they once stated the possibility of MORE than three films. That would most definitely be the case in the scenario outlined above. It would close the door while still allowing it to easily grow beyond that.

Here is an article about the movie I found at mtv.com.

'Amazing Spider-Man': 12 Burning Questions For The Sequel

1. Who Is The Villain? That's question numero uno: who will Spidey face next, and will it be the same guy we saw in the "Amazing" post-credits scene? If so, who is that guy? Norman Osborn? Elektro? Mysterio? Someone else? But before we think too much about the new villain, let's dwell on the old for a minute...

I believe in a fairly recent interview Ifans said that the guy at the end would be the villian in the second movie and that guy was not Norman Osborn. Check the link below.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56771

If Mary Jane and Harry do get introduced in the next film, and honestly, I'd be really surprised if they weren't, I really hope we don't get a cliche love triangle (square?) plot. Especially if it's anything like the romance drama in SM3.

I believe in a fairly recent interview Ifans said that the guy at the end would be the villian in the second movie and that guy was not Norman Osborn. Check the link below.

I'm putting money down on Mysterio then. What other villain can appear then disappear in a flash? Familiar with means he's someone from the comics. Others have said Electro - but wouldn't we see some kind of conduit zap? There's no electricity in that room to merge in with.

I'm putting money down on Mysterio then. What other villain can appear then disappear in a flash? Familiar with means he's someone from the comics. Others have said Electro - but wouldn't we see some kind of conduit zap? There's no electricity in that room to merge in with.

Mysterio's one of my favorite villains, out of all the villains that haven't been used yet it'd be Mysterio then Electro for me. He can be a very cunning, dangerous and unpredictable foe when written well. I hate it when a writer takes a good Spidey villain and uses them as a joke pretty much, it's happened with quite a lot of Spidey's enemies at one point or another but recently they've really been making sure all of Spidey's rogues are really used to their potential.

Mysterio could make for a great cinematic villain, not only there being limitless ideas on what to do with his shtick he can really be a great psychological threat for Spidey. He can frame Spidey and make the public distrust him, he can make Spidey think he's seeing people who died in his life (his parents, Ben, capt. Stacy), make him think he's killed someone, basically just drive him nuts.

One other fun thing is that Mysterio preps for all his illusions for months to make sure they're all perfect and I love when he's written as just a smug ass. In it for either the cash, just making big overblown illusions, screwing everybody over (especially doing things to tick Spidey off). One of the best Mysterio stories has got to be the Dan Slott/ Marcos Martin one.

Last edited:

I believe Ifans about as much as I believe Marion Cotillard when she says that Miranda Tate isn't Talia al Ghul... which is, to say, not at all.

Mysterio's one of my favorite villains, out of all the villains that haven't been used yet it'd be Mysterio then Electro for me. He can be a very cunning, dangerous and unpredictable foe when written well. I hate it when a writer takes a good Spidey villain and uses them as a joke pretty much, it's happened with quite a lot of Spidey's enemies at one point or another but recently they've really been making sure all of Spidey's rogues are really used to their potential.

Mysterio could make for a great cinematic villain, not only there being limitless ideas on what to do with his shtick he can really be a great psychological threat for Spidey. He can frame Spidey and make the public distrust him, he can make Spidey think he's seeing people who died in his life (his parents, Ben, capt. Stacy), make him think he's killed someone, basically just drive him nuts.

One other fun thing is that Mysterio preps for all his illusions for months to make sure they're all perfect and I love when he's written as just a smug ass. In it for either the cash, just making big overblown illusions, screwing everybody over (especially doing things to tick Spidey off). One of the best Mysterio stories has got to be the Dan Slott/ Marcos Martin one.

What's that one about?? :)

Now in hindsight, Michael Massee who was the man in the shadows is a little too old for the role of Electro and not well known if enough to lead the film as say Norman Osborn. So that leaves Mysterio, maybe Vulture, or even Hydroman or Sandman again(both of which could enter or leave without detection--if was raining which could lend itself to Hydroman).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"