Comics Amazing Spider-Man #559 spoilers. I'll read it so you don't have to

Do you have a link to a quote from Marvel acknowleding that "everyone's dropping the book and being quite loud about it"?

Just curious.

Everyone dropping the book and being loud about it is all over the net especially Marvel.com. Marvel acknowledging this was in I believe issue 557 with Steve Wacker asking what it'll take to please us in place of a letters page, because apparently the positive letters aren't coming in. Oh and Amazing's down to about 79,000 an issue. Yes on a month by month basis this beats what Amazing did pre BND, but they have to put out the book three times a month for sales that aren't even doubling what the book was doing once monthly. Oh, and the sales are still falling. But if you're a glass half full guy you can say "stabilizing".

I also love how Wacker asks what it will take to please us, when this isn't something we asked for. This story is something Quesada mentioned publicly two years ago, and people were fighting him on it from the beginning. There was little to no fans speaking out for this.

Everyone dropping the book and being loud about it is all over the net especially Marvel.com. Marvel acknowledging this was in I believe issue 557 with Steve Wacker asking what it'll take to please us in place of a letters page, because apparently the positive letters aren't coming in. Oh and Amazing's down to about 79,000 an issue. Yes on a month by month basis this beats what Amazing did pre BND, but they have to put out the book three times a month for sales that aren't even doubling what the book was doing once monthly. Oh, and the sales are still falling. But if you're a glass half full guy you can say "stabilizing".

I also love how Wacker asks what it will take to please us, when this isn't something we asked for. This story is something Quesada mentioned publicly two years ago, and people were fighting him on it from the beginning. There was little to no fans speaking out for this.

Yeah, in the letters page in #557, Steve asks fans what they want, but i didnt get the impression he was worried about sales. Nor can i agree that a few vocal fans on the net constitutes "everybody".

FYI; sales for the industry as a whole are down, not just Spider-Man. No offense, but you're starting to come off as slightly fanatical. :yay:

Yeah, in the letters page in #557, Steve asks fans what they want, but i didnt get the impression he was worried about sales. Nor can i agree that a few vocal fans on the net constitutes "everybody".

FYI; sales for the industry as a whole are down, not just Spider-Man. No offense, but you're starting to come off as slightly fanatical. :yay:

If a company is pleading with fans as to what it takes for them to be happy, it's always about sales. And let all the extra copies on the bookshelves speak for themselves. Also the net isn't necessarily taken as being everybody, but people like Joe do pay attention to what's being said.

Hell every major message board was shut down due to high traffic after it was announce Waid was kicked off of Fantastic Four, and that was acknowledged as playing a big part in him getting rehired.

And I love how you call me fanatical, but don't call themanofbat, and Dark Spidey fanatical because they're on your side of the argument. But still Spider-Man sales are on more of a downward slope than most books, so saying it's the whole industry is just not gonna jive.

If a company is pleading with fans as to what it takes for them to be happy, it's always about sales. And let all the extra copies on the bookshelves speak for themselves. Also the net isn't necessarily taken as being everybody, but people like Joe do pay attention to what's being said.

Hell every major message board was shut down due to high traffic after it was announce Waid was kicked off of Fantastic Four, and that was acknowledged as playing a big part in him getting rehired.

And I love how you call me fanatical, but don't call themanofbat, and Dark Spidey fanatical because they're on your side of the argument. But still Spider-Man sales are on more of a downward slope than most books, so saying it's the whole industry is just not gonna jive.

Actually, im on YOUR side of the arguement. I just think you're putting a slightly skewed view on things. I mean..."pleading"? Show me the company that DOESNT want people buying it's product.

But hey man; whatever. If it makes you feel better to think along those lines, knock yourself out. :yay:

Actually, im on YOUR side of the arguement. I just think you're putting a slightly skewed view on things. I mean..."pleading"? Show me the company that DOESNT want people buying it's product.

But hey man; whatever. If it makes you feel better to think along those lines, knock yourself out. :yay:

Maybe pleading wasn't the right word, but that was an open acknowledgement to "No one likes this". They wouldn't ask that if they thought everyone liked it, and by a large margin more people are complaining than saying this is good. This board's almost a Bizarro World on BND fandom. And still I can almost guarantee the sales aren't near where they want them.

You're a funny guy Mikey...

Only in "your mind" is "everybody" dropping the book... obviously, even with March's lower numbers (at a time when ALL COMIC BOOK SALES took a hit), ASM averaged over 84 000 copies per week. And those are the last official stats... again, the book hitting 79k in a number made up in your mind (unless you can provide us with a link please).

And truth be told, the book would have to drop to 65k per week to simply be at the same level of total monthly Spider-Man books sold per month, so even if your 79k is correct (and I somehow doubt that), Marvel is still selling more monthly Spider-Man comics than before, so in the eyes of Marvel Comics Inc. & the stockholders, how is BND not considered successful?

And again, I just glanced at the letter's page to ASM #557 and there is NO pleading on Whacker's part... he's merely asking whether or not old and new readers will be pleased with each issue of BND? And only us the readers can answer that question... I'd like to know how that is considered pleading, but I understand I'm responding to an 8 year old who will not give me any clear answers, just a few condescending sock puppet comments.

Alea Jacta Est...

:yay:

Only in "your mind" is "everybody" dropping the book... obviously, even with March's lower numbers (at a time when ALL COMIC BOOK SALES took a hit), ASM averaged over 84 000 copies per week. And those are the last official stats... again, the book hitting 79k in a number made up in your mind (unless you can provide us with a link please).

And truth be told, the book would have to drop to 65k per week to simply be at the same level of total monthly Spider-Man books sold per month, so even if your 79k is correct (and I somehow doubt that), Marvel is still selling more monthly Spider-Man comics than before, so in the eyes of Marvel Comics Inc. & the stockholders, how is BND not considered successful?

And again, I just glanced at the letter's page to ASM #557 and there is NO pleading on Whacker's part... he's merely asking whether or not old and new readers will be pleased with each issue of BND? And only us the readers can answer that question... I'd like to know how that is considered pleading, but I understand I'm responding to an 8 year old who will not give me any clear answers, just a few condescending sock puppet comments.

Alea Jacta Est...

:applaud

I find it hard to believe that Wacker's comments in the letters pages of issue #557 are even being debated as anything other than SARCASTIC! :whatever:

But Marvel doesn't know people are enjoying it, because everyone's dropping the book, and being quite loud about it. Marvel's acknowledged this, and here you are flushing 12 dollars a week down the toilet, and I just laugh at you.

Well, if I was to care whether you laugh at me or not, which I don't. I would probably retort by saying that it is I that laugh at you. Because if you've dropped the book in attempt to show Marvel that you don't like Spidey's new direction, well, seeing as i'm buying a few extra copies, picking up the slack, I guess your lack of purchase counts for NOTHING!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! :woot:

-Just saying. You know, if I cared. Which I don't. So... :o

Well....it is debatable what the past/present numbers really mean.

When we had Amazing at , lets say 100,000 and FNSM at 50 and the other choice at 50,000.....obviously those numbers were NOT all the same people buying...or it would have been 100, 100, and 100....like how we have similiar numbers now....so we've got 80,000, across the board now...per arc...and dropping...those ARE the same people picking up that current arc...because they may like the artist of the month, the writer of the month, or the villian of the month maybe? I dunno, that's just it, we don't know.

Then I've been reading on multiple boards that some of these 80,000 are from people claiming to be buying multiple issues of BND, like Dark Spidey on this board does. So that further distorts what is going on if their claims are true and we take these many people at their word at buying multiples of BND.

So, it is hard to say, postive or negative what the numbers are saying....but overall, looking at the math it would seem they are selling less overall, because their is no choice, and those that are buying are fewer in number but buying entrie arcs of arcs that they like or buying multiples to make up for it??.... Plus, those that are buying, may or may not now be spidey fans....they may be "slott fans", or "artist fans", or newcomer trying it out fans...whatever....because things aren't as clear with so many variables that are now involved that weren't before when you try to compare these numbers.

Too many new variables now, is all i am saying, whether you like OMD/BND or not.

Alea Jacta Est...

April sales tomorrow. We'll see then. And really is 8 year old the best you can do? And the first time I threw the sock puppet comment at you you called me numb nuts and said you weren't one to be messed with. I obviously got to you there.

...Oh and Amazing's down to about 79,000 an issue.

Obviously, even with March's lower numbers (at a time when ALL COMIC BOOK SALES took a hit), ASM averaged over 84 000 copies per week. And those are the last official stats...

April sales tomorrow. We'll see then.

Within the same page of this thread, you show that you're own words are just BS...

Thanks for showing everybody that your comments really mean nothing factual and are nothing but the ramblings of a child.

Cheers...

The BND comics are good but not great. I just love how they have tried to turn back to good old days without all that Civil War mess and everybody knowing who Peter is. The only thing I don't like about them so far is absence of an intimidating villain. Freak, Menace, or that crazy Doc weren't much interesting villains. Mr. Negative may be have a shot at being a decent villain but its too early to tell.

Still not a reliable source, so until actual figures come in, we'll leave it at that...

And even if those numbers turn out to be real, the April average would still be 82k per issue (or 80k if you take away the spike from the Wolverine appearance), which are still good numbers, considering that 3 monthly Spidey books sold around 65k per issue prior to BND.

The only thing I get out of message board links like that one (and similar to this one) is that the majority of BND haters are not very civil not polite to those that do enjoy it. Of course, there are exceptions, and the nice ones on this board know who they are.

Guys, Miken Ayers is a textbook attention ****e. Ignore him and he'll go away...or die...or something.

Still not a reliable source, so until actual figures come in, we'll leave it at that...

And even if those numbers turn out to be real, the April average would still be 82k per issue (or 80k if you take away the spike from the Wolverine appearance), which are still good numbers, considering that 3 monthly Spidey books sold around 65k per issue prior to BND.

The only thing I get out of message board links like that one (and similar to this one) is that the majority of BND haters are not very civil not polite to those that do enjoy it. Of course, there are exceptions, and the nice ones on this board know who they are.

I'm just not civil and polite to people that pick fights with other people for just posting a letter they sent to Marvel. Nice try though Frenchie.

I don't know if that's telling you anything, Blader. It ranked at #s 8, 14, and 16. Sales numbers for last month (which was a big time down month by everyone's estimation) for those rankings were 82000, 81072, and 68651, an average of 77241. Wait a few days if you want the actual hard numbers. Since the industry as a whole seems to be declining, I think you need to look at the ranking: For March AMZ posted at #'s 4, 8, and 14. For April: #'s 8,14, and 16. I would call that a decline, but certainly not the apocalyptic one that some ore making it out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"