• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

An Original Justice League

Flash525

The Scarlet Messenger
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I thought Ben Affleck nailed both Bruce Wayne and Batman in his performance, both in BvS and Dawn of Justice. I wouldn't say Henry Cavill is that bad a Superman either, though would agree that maybe he hasn't received the best material.

Now, we know that Affleck and his position of playing Bruce Wayne again has long been in dispute, and more recently, we know that Cavill has had (financial?) disputes with the studio, so it's somewhat up in the air as to whether these two actors return to their respective roles.

DC/WB therefore have two answers; recast them, or leave them out. With the success of Wonder Woman, and (what I believe will be the further success of) Aquaman, Shazam and Wonder Woman 2, DC/WB aren't about to reboot their DCEU, regardless of whether they're going to subtly link the films in or not, so if they want Batman and Superman in their DCEU moving forward, they're going to need to recast.

Or would they somehow be able to do a Justice League film without these two characters? The Justice League founding members are Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, a Green Lantern, and then (depending on which origin) you've got Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl and/or Cyborg.

The original Avengers consisted of Ironman, Thor, Ant Man, Wasp and Hulk; no Captain America, no Hawkeye, and no Black Widow, and yet it's become a success in it's own right. Could DC/WB follow suit somehow, and release their own, original Justice League? Keeping the likes of Diana, Barry & Arthur, but maybe replacing Bruce and Clark with the Green Arrow and Black Canary? Maybe even Kara (Supergirl)?

Would it work? If not, then why not? Why can Marvel get away with it if DC/WB cannot?

I think almost any line up of heroes could have a sucessful film, if there is a good script, crew and cast.
However, a JL film with Superman and Batman can get an advantage from the fact that they are such well known characters.

Or would they somehow be able to do a Justice League film without these two characters? The Justice League founding members are Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, a Green Lantern, and then (depending on which origin) you've got Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl and/or Cyborg.

The original Avengers consisted of Ironman, Thor, Ant Man, Wasp and Hulk; no Captain America, no Hawkeye, and no Black Widow, and yet it's become a success in it's own right.
Cap, Hawkeye & Black Widow are either founders or join up fairly early in Ultimates. Why else would an Ultron movie include QS & SW so prominently?

Since, both universes go for more recent rosters, the next members would be Firestorm, a female Metamorpho, or a female Atom. However, just like the animated flick adapting the same Johns Story, Shazam took Aquaman's spot, so in the DCEU, he's bound to be the 7th Leaguer.

Superman and Batman can get an advantage from the fact that they are such well known characters.
As demonstrated that is actually a disadvantage. Those character bring baggage and expectation. The best thing for DC to do is bench the world's finest and do whatever they need to do to less known character to make them successful.

Batman and Superman CAN be an advantage, under the right circumstances.

They might not have been as useful as they could have been this time due to negative reaction to BVS. A year after BVS might have been the one time in the last fifty years that having Superman and Batman hurts a films box office rather than helping it.

One the other hand, it could be argued WB not including Superman in a lot of the marketing hurt the film. The film might have had an even worse box office if Superman and Batman were not in it.

there are no right circumstances, because you cant erase the MCU from existence and collective memory.

omitting Supes from the JL marketing did not hurt the film in any way. every one and their mother knew supes was going to come back so wb decided to keep the "how" he comes back a secret.

there are no right circumstances, because you cant erase the MCU from existence and collective memory.

omitting Supes from the JL marketing did not hurt the film in any way. every one and their mother knew supes was going to come back so wb decided to keep the "how" he comes back a secret.

Keeping how he came back is one thing but treating the audience like idiots (which they did by not including Superman in Promotional Material) is another

As demonstrated that is actually a disadvantage. Those character bring baggage and expectation. The best thing for DC to do is bench the world's finest and do whatever they need to do to less known character to make them successful.

Not doing characters based on expectations is silly. It took MARVEL its third Thor solo movie to fully embrace Thor on his own. They kept trying & did not ditch him just because people hated Thor 2 when they could have easily replaced him with someone else & killed him in Thor 2. The WB running away from Superman are cowards & just prove that they don't know what they are doing. This will always be one of the main differences between DC & MARVEL. The WB runs away & are cowards & panics when MARVEL keeps going until they find something that works & along the way earned the audiences trust

In my humble opinion, a JL formation or group cannot exist or be formed without Batman, Superman or WW. To not register their existence or have their input is just criminal in my view.

I don't want to see a JL movie without them. Could it work? Sure, but it's inherently less interesting to me as a superhero fan.

If Titans goes bad for DC I imagine they will over all stop using that overly dark tone. But the WB is also very stubborn & are likely in denial over one of the reasons that Batman v Superman failed with the majority of the general audience

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think a bad reception of Titans will turn Reeves Batman away from the noir style it's aiming for.

I don't think a bad reception of Titans will turn Reeves Batman away from the noir style it's aiming for.

When did I say Noir ? Noir is a Visual Style type of thing not a tone type of thing

Noir films generally have a dark tone, they are about serious, often depressing subjects, usually focusing on human failings and aren't predisposed towards happy endings.
A noir film with a light tone is a rare thing.

Noir films generally have a dark tone, they are about serious, often depressing subjects, usually focusing on human failings and aren't predisposed towards happy endings.
A noir film with a light tone is a rare thing.

Well considering Matt Reeves keeps going back & fourth on if its a Year One inspired movie or not & they still can't decide if its its own thing etc I doubt even they know what the movie is gonna be at this point as this is after all how Warner Brothers rolls

Well considering Matt Reeves keeps going back & fourth on if its a Year One inspired movie or not & they still can't decide if its its own thing etc I doubt even they know what the movie is gonna be at this point as this is after all how Warner Brothers rolls

DD, just wondering, are you a Leicester City fan by any chance ? As going by your user name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"