• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

and here we go again, manhunt 2 game banned in uk

the_ultimate_evil

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.
Reaction score
Censors ban 'brutal' video game
Screenshot of Manhunt
The original Manhunt game was blamed for a teenager's death
British censors have banned a violent video game from the UK for the first time in a decade.

The video game Manhunt 2 was rejected for its "unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying", the British Board of Film Classification said.

It means the Manhunt sequel cannot be legally supplied anywhere in the UK.

The parents of a Leicester schoolboy who blamed the original game for the murder of their 14-year-old son said they were "absolutely elated".

There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed
BBFC director David Cooke

The original Manhunt game was given an 18 classification in 2003.

Manhunt 2, for PS2 and Nintendo Wii consoles, is made by Rockstar Games.

The company has six weeks to submit an appeal.

The last game to be refused classification was Carmageddon in 1997. That decision was overturned on appeal.

David Cooke, director of the BBFC, said: "Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone.

"There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."

'Morally irresponsible'

The original Manhunt game caused huge controversy and was blamed for the murder of Stefan Pakeerah.

The boy was stabbed and beaten to death in Leicester in February 2004.

Stefan Pakeerah
Stefan Pakeerah was murdered in 2004

His parents believe the killer, Warren LeBlanc, 17, was inspired by the game.

Stefan's mother, Giselle Pakeerah, had condemned the sequel, branding the gaming industry "morally irresponsible".

"We have been campaigning against these games for a long time and the BBFC made the right decision," she said.

Police said robbery was the motive behind the attack on Stefan in Stokes Wood Park on 26 February 2004 - and not the video game blamed by Stefan's parents.

Manhunt's maker Rockstar North has always insisted its games are geared towards mature audiences and are marketed responsibly.

Leicester MP Keith Vaz, who campaigned with the Pakeerahs against the original version of Manhunt, praised the decision to ban Manhunt 2.

He said: "This is an excellent decision by the British Board of Film Classification, showing that game publishers cannot expect to get interactive games where players take the part of killers engaged in 'casual sadism' and murder."

i saw this on the news this morning, and as usual they started quoting things about the game that don't even happen, one woman said you spend the time stalking civilians and thinking of ways to kill them.

The game Original game should have been banned just for being really, really, really, crappy! This one should get the same treatment.

I do love when people who've never played a videogame are considered experts and I especially love when they pull out that censor brush to protect us. But can't we also ban rap, Mark Twain and all evolutionary theories as well? This just isn't enough to protect the world from itself. Won't some self righteous hippie save us?

dont get me wrong the man hunt games do go a bit far but i dont see the call for a banning, just better responsibly to enforce the ratings

seriosuly...video games dont make you do ****! when are people gonna learn? you gotta be mentally unstable in the first place.. oh and also its an 18 for a reason so i dont see why it was banned.

loved the first one, might dust off the ps2 for this one as well.

hooray america!

sorry all it's banned from even being released
Nintendo/Sony won't license it
it has to get edited

Thats bull****. Im so tired of self righteous crusaders who have to much time on their hands and have nothing better to do than create "moral problems in society" and try to fix them when it is clear they have no idea what they are talking about. Jack Thompson is the biggest ******* on the planet and pretends to care about children and protecting America but he is really just another blood sucking ambulance (game in this case) chasing lawyer. He's been campaigning against this game since it was first announced and he doesn't know one thing about it. And people actually listen to him even though every time he speaks he proves himself to be a rash arrogant moron and an *******. I hate him and all others like him (thats you Joe Lieberman and Hillary Clinton) there all the same just a bunch of pathetic politicians incapable of combating real issues so instead they try to win over voters and pad their image with witchhunts.

And by the way all ratings systems the ESRB the MPAA and others they all suck.

By the

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"