The Dark Knight Rises Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Rorschach2012

Batman is my Dad
Reaction score
I apologize if this thread has been created before.

I want to see who you think made the better Catwoman. For me its Pfeiffer by a mile.

My vote goes to Anne.

While Michelle Pfeiffer was iconic as Catwoman, Anne Hathaway was utterly and unbelievably amazing. One of the more better highlights in a film that I loved.

I think I love them both. But characterization wise, I like the way Anne Hathaway went with Catwoman in TDKR.

Michelle is a more natural actress and I liked her version a lot, but Anne's take was simply much more in line tonally with the version of the character that I love (which is more of a sly Robin Hood than a psycho).

I don't think either of them would match up to each other's performances if their roles were reversed.

I chose Anne. Michelle gave an awesome performance for what was written for her. But what was written for Pfeiffer was ridiculous in my opinion. It wasn't Selina or Catwoman at all, even though she looked like a great Catwoman visually.

Michelle is a more natural actress and I liked her version a lot, but Anne's take was simply much more in line tonally with the version of the character that I love (which is more of a sly Robin Hood than a psycho).

I don't think either of them would match up to each other's performances if their roles were reversed.
Well said.

I love them both, but Anne's Selina was the more traditional Selina Kyle that I've grown up with in the comics. The street smart jewel thief and anti hero type who treads that fine line between hero and villain. She has a heart and a conscience and she shows that when it counts.

Anne's Selina is my favorite character in TDKR. She stole every scene she was in for me.

I love them both, but Anne's Selina was the more traditional Selina Kyle that I've grown up with in the comics. The street smart jewel thief and anti hero type who treads that fine line between hero and villain. She has a heart and a conscience and she shows that when it counts.

Anne's Selina is my favorite character in TDKR. She stole every scene she was in for me.

My thoughts exactly.

Pffeifer had the better costume and is a more natural fit for the role, but I prefer the characterization of Anne's much more and she NAILED IT. Probably a toss up all things considered, but my preference for the characterization and overall film Anne is in, gives her the nudge.

They're even for me performance-wise but Anne had the advantage of a better written character so it allowed her to show more range.

i adored anne hathaway as catwoman she was the only catwoman i ever liked i liked the costume and everything id like to see her comic counterpart to look more like her

I really liked Anne but I would give the edge to Michelle.

I don't think it's really far to say who was "better" since the versions of the character are completely different, but I much prefer the characterization in TDKR because it's the comic version.

Anne, she was one of the best surprises from TDKR. Even after all the trailers, tv spots and leaked photos, I was still not convinced about Anne playing Catwoman. I was worried, even. But as soon as I sat my butt down and TDKR slapped me across the face, I fell in LOVE.

Anne, she was one of the best surprises from TDKR. Even after all the trailers, tv spots and leaked photos, I was still not convinced about Anne playing Catwoman. I was worried, even. But as soon as I sat my butt down and TDKR slapped me across the face, I fell in LOVE.

She made the role her own from her first scene, IMO.

She made the role her own from her first scene, IMO.
Absolutely. I'll never forget the excitement when she screamed and then shortly after uttered "oops".
2zssiud.jpg

Last edited:
I LOVE that scene and not just because of Anne Hathaway; Bruce Wayne's Howard Hughes moment was outstanding.

There's no real reason to compare them because they are such different characters, or rather, interpretations of the same character. But I will say this. Though I like Jack Nicholson's performance as the Joker thought he was very entertaining and appropriate for the role, for me Heath Ledger was much better. That isn't the case when looking at Pfieffer and Hathaway. Pfieffer's performance is one of the best of her career and of superhero movies in general and Hathaway would have been remiss to try and better that. And so she didn't, instead creating something unique that represented another side of Selina Kyle that hadn't been seen on screen before.

I don't think it's really far to say who was "better" since the versions of the character are completely different, but I much prefer the characterization in TDKR because it's the comic version.

This. They're both good in their own right and portrayed two very different versions of Catwoman (in comparison that is). Perhaps the better question is, who portrayed a more comic accurate version of Catwoman? :yay:

I agree with what you said 100% Happy Jack.

I LOVE that scene and not just because of Anne Hathaway; Bruce Wayne's Howard Hughes moment was outstanding.

:up: :up:

The Bruce/Selina moments are my favorite chemistry between two characters in any of the Batman films. Even outside of Nolan's.

They both just really nailed it. Beautifully. I rewatch the clips on YouTube on a semi-regular basis and am charmed all over again every time.

I didn't like Bale's Batman matched up against her Catwoman as much as the above, but that's on Bale's end of things, not Anne's. I loved how guilty and sober she looked as she watched on after having betrayed him. Also, when she kisses him before he goes to his seeming death. So well done. :hrt:

Bale's issues can easily be chalked that up to the writing ("So that's how that feels") and the suit giving him problems speaking/breathing. I'm not thinking it's actually his fault so much, as neither of these were problems with his Batman performance in Batman Begins.

Often wonder how Begins Batman would have interacted with Anne's Catwoman. Alas... :csad:

But hey, maybe if Anne gets her way and does a spin-off, Bale can have a supporting role... :wow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"