Apple: $99 iPhone and more

Raiden

Wakanda Forever
Reaction score
Apple: New iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3.0 Software, Macbook Pro, Snow Leopard, More

At Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco today, the company announced updates to its iPhone and Macbook product lines, as well as its Snow Leopard operating system.

Apple enthusiasts who weren't in attendance were glued to their computers in anticipation of the latest news, and to see if Steve Jobs would appear onstage (he didn't).

Here are some highlights from WWDC, as reported by PC World and Macworld:

New iPhone 3GS (faster performance, new features) available on June 19th in the U.S. and seven other countries. Pricing: iPhone 3GS 16GB for $199, and 32GB for $299.
Price cut for iPhone 3G: $99 for 8GB model
New iPhone 3.0 software available June 17th, with "100 new features" (voice dialing, copy-paste, autofill, etc). Free for current iPhone customers (both original iPhone and iPhone 3G models). Cost is $9.95 for iPod touch customers (both 1G and 2G models).
New "Snow Leopard" operating system will be available for all Intel Macs (no PowerPC support). Retail price is $129, but only $29 for current Leopard users. Available in September.
Price cuts and new updates for MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air product lines.
One of the more buzzed-about updates is for MobileMe customers -- a new service called "Find My iPhone" provides solace for those who misplace or lose their iPhone:

Users can log into MobileMe and it will show you where you left your phone. You can then send a message to your phone from the home, and it plays an alert (whether or not you left it in silent mode). And the sound alert means that you lost it at your house, the sound still plays so you can walk around to find it. If phone really is lost or stolen, you can also send it a remote wipe command to delete all of your data. Erase contacts, mail, and everything. And if you find it again, you can plug it in and it will restore from backup.
Even without Mr. Jobs on the stage, Apple still manages to put on quite a show.

I'd love to buy a $99 iPhone (even though I'm with Sprint currently, but my 2-year agreement has already expired), but I'm on the fence due to the steep monthly rate. How much is it exactly? I heard it's between $50-70. Right now I pay less than $40 for mine and I don't really want to pay so much for the rate.

HOW ABOUT THE ABILITY TO BUY THE NEW IPHONE ON PAY AS YOU FREAKIN GO FOR A NON INSANE 799 DOLLAR PRICE!!??

i have freakin identity theft that wont clear up so i cant sign a freakin contract...they wont let me. so PAY AS YOU GO PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

I wished they announced a new ipod touch. I've been wanting to upgrade from my first generation touch but am holding off til it gets a camera. Could I buy the new iphone and just use it as an ipod?

I'd love to buy a $99 iPhone (even though I'm with Sprint currently, but my 2-year agreement has already expired), but I'm on the fence due to the steep monthly rate. How much is it exactly? I heard it's between $50-70. Right now I pay less than $40 for mine and I don't really want to pay so much for the rate.

Agree about the monthly rate. It's way more than $70 a month right now. You're paying as much for AT&T as you are with Verizon on a monthly basis which makes me go :bh:

It's the reason I won't get an iPhone.

You're getting a great monthly rate of $40 a month.

Pay as you go for iPhone is not going to happen unless something better comes along that takes away iPhone customers and they're desperate.

Would love to get metroPCS for their reasonable monthly rate but I'm on the fringe of getting good reception at work.

Verizon iPhone damnit!

Individual plan:
$30 a month, just for the data plan. (Which is required, but that's understandable, because why would you get an iPhone without a data plan)

$40 a month for 450 w/Rollover Minutes (this is the lowest you can pick)

And then there is text messaging. (Why isn't this part of the data plan?, there is an option to go with no text message plan, however.)
$5 a month for 200 texts, $15 for 1500, $20 for Unlimited.

So, lets say you decide to go with no text messaging, and the bare minimum for minutes on the phone. (Which not very many people would to, I'd imagine.) It will run you $70 a month.

Now let's look at what most people would go with.
$30 a month for the data.
$20 a month for text messaging.
$60 a month for 900 minutes.
--------
$110 a month.

Now, with t-mobile I can get a plan

$40 a month for 1000 whenever minutes.
$35 a month for unlimited web and unlimited text.
------
$75. That's $35 a month cheaper.

AT&T sucks.

Last edited:
Individual plan:
$30 a month, just for the data plan. (Which is required, but that's understandable, because why would you get an iPhone without a data plan)

And then there is text messaging. (Why isn't this part of the data plan?, there is an option to go with no text message plan, however.)

So, lets say you decide to go with no text messaging, and the bare minimum for minutes on the phone. (Which not very many people would to, I'd imagine.) It will run you $70 a month.

--------
$110 a month.

------

AT&T sucks.

Thanks for the break-down.

How's T-Mobile's service, reception, dropped calls?

Thanks for the break-down.

How's T-Mobile's service, reception, dropped calls?
I've been with them since 05, and the only dropped calls I remember having (very few) are when the people are on different networks than I am. Reception is pretty well. It's a little difficult to find 3g in my neighborhood right now, but they've been upgrading around here so I'd imagine that will change.

so im hearing 3gs is on pay as you go but its going to be more expensive. (no contract right? is that the same thing?)

Individual plan:

--------
$110 a month.

------

AT&T sucks.

Ugh, looks like I won't be buying that $99 iPhone after all; their monthly rate plans are just too expensive for me. :csad:

Hopefully, Apple will wise up and look to other carriers when the exclusive contract with AT&T runs out next year. I think this will be the final straw:

The new model comes with the 3.0 software pre-installed, and that means MMS is finally on board. More of a surprise was the addition of seamless USB and Bluetooth tethering, making for two features that iPhone users have been vying for since day one.

But AT&T won't be providing these features any time soon; even if you just shelled out $499 to get the hardware upgrade.

"What we're trying to do is to be fair," said AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel. "Customers in the US enjoy very, very low device prices. [Our customers] have to look at the economic realities."

It's caused quite a stir on AT&T's user forums that MMS and tethering won't be awarded to the company's legions of loyal customer, who've already paid out a lot for the privilege of an iPhone.

The service provider is apparently working out a new data tariff to accompany the tethering function, though many suggest this is also a delay tactic as AT&T addresses internal concerns that its already struggling data network wouldn't be able to cope.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/iPhone+3G+S/news.asp?c=13760

Hopefully, Apple will wise up and look to other carriers when the exclusive contract with AT&T runs out next year. I think this will be the final straw:

The new model comes with the 3.0 software pre-installed, and that means MMS is finally on board. More of a surprise was the addition of seamless USB and Bluetooth tethering, making for two features that iPhone users have been vying for since day one.

But AT&T won't be providing these features any time soon; even if you just shelled out $499 to get the hardware upgrade.

"What we're trying to do is to be fair," said AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel. "Customers in the US enjoy very, very low device prices. [Our customers] have to look at the economic realities."

It's caused quite a stir on AT&T's user forums that MMS and tethering won't be awarded to the company's legions of loyal customer, who've already paid out a lot for the privilege of an iPhone.

The service provider is apparently working out a new data tariff to accompany the tethering function, though many suggest this is also a delay tactic as AT&T addresses internal concerns that its already struggling data network wouldn't be able to cope.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/iPhone+3G+S/news.asp?c=13760

Individual plan:

--------
$110 a month.

------

AT&T sucks.

My gf has the Iphone and pays around $75 which includes unlimited Text, the full data plan and 450 Anytime with Rollover & 5000 Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile Minutes

I have a similar minute plan and the data package as well for my blackberry and spend a little less.

Last edited:
The data plan for the iPhone is insane.
They really need to drop the price. Once the iPhone gets ported to other vendors .... which didnt happen, the prices will change because of competition...but its so expensive

My gf has the Iphone and pays around $75 which includes unlimited Text, the full data plan and 450 Anytime with Rollover & 5000 Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile Minutes

I have a similar minute plan and the data package as well for my blackberry and spend a little less.
I'm just going off of what AT&T's website says. *shrug*

I certainly will give my $99 to Apple when they kick ATAT out the door.

WAIT A MINUTE!! im reading on the apple boards that the 3g s is gonna be available no contract now?!?!? PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAIT A MINUTE!! im reading on the apple boards that the 3g s is gonna be available no contract now?!?!? PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they've always sold the iPhone without contract. But you have to pay full price for it.

I believe the 3GS is $599 and $699 for 16GB and 32GB phones.

I think they've always sold the iPhone without contract. But you have to pay full price for it.

I believe the 3GS is $599 and $699 for 16GB and 32GB phones.

well when i used to try and get the 3g on pay as you go they wouldnt let me...

The prices for iPhone customers who are returning, and have been users since the release of the first generation phones are insane. Borderline insulting to long-time Mac users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"