Are you handy?

Immortalfire

The Vectorman
Staff member
Reaction score
Male and female alike, are you able to fix things? Are you the kind who if the water heater burst in the middle of the night, you would know what to do to repair it?

FB27898F-EF36-4A15-B570-F0DB18468B69.jpeg

I’m not, I’ve never fixed anything in my life.

My handiness is rated "7/10, will do". But I'm working on it.

If I watch it as a DIY on YouTube then maybe I could. But I’m not real handy lol.

not really, but i'd like to be. i've put some bookcases together but that's about it. i mean everything was in the box with instructions so i couldn't screw it up too badly

Yes, my father taught me how to use some tools properly (a drilling machine, a sander, an electric saw, a tin welding machine, etc.).

It's fun! being able to say "I did that" gives me great pleasure.

I'm not hugely practical no, I get by but could do better for sure. Emotional intelligence is more my thing. Being caring, loving, listening, that's more my bag. Being the clumsiest f**ker in the world puts pay to me being overly 'handy'.

VnfPvaT.gif

Yes, my father taught me how to use some tools properly (a drilling machine, a sander, an electric saw, a tin welding machine, etc.).

It's fun! being able to say "I did that" gives me great pleasure.

Well aren't you a bundle of surprises. :p

I do pretty much everything around the house. I did the outdoor plumbing and electrical (added outlets and ran conduit for both under a sidewalk) for a backyard fountain. Put in new plumbing in my Santa Cruz house. I built and hung doors for the garage cabinet. Paint whatever (My first job at 16 was as a spray painter). Run cabling. When I do sheetrock, however, it looks like "I" did the sheetrock. That particular skill escapes me for some reason. Never welded anything, but am an expert at soldering.

I'm handy as a chicken with a fork.
I don't like to tinker and I don't like electricity.
If it's a computer issue...OK.

I can install a light fixture over something existing. I installed a pulley system in my garage to hang our bikes. But like I can't build a deck in the back yard type stuff.

I get by, not sure I could fix a heater or boiler if it broke, but I can change a lightbulb and if I've got a technical issue with my console or laptop then I'd like to think I'll be able to deal with it.

I think it's all relative; I can change and keep good maintenance on my cycle bikes, but I think I'd struggle to change a car wheel/tyre because I've never had too.

I can cook and bake, but I couldn't catch a fish. I can plant and pick fruit/veg, but not maintain a garden.

I get by, not sure I could fix a heater or boiler if it broke, but I can change a lightbulb and if I've got a technical issue with my console or laptop then I'd like to think I'll be able to deal with it.

I think it's all relative; I can change and keep good maintenance on my cycle bikes, but I think I'd struggle to change a car wheel/tyre because I've never had too.

I can cook and bake, but I couldn't catch a fish. I can plant and pick fruit/veg, but not maintain a garden.

I can cook & bake to a pretty strong standard and maintain my garden well, but what are considered 'manly' stuff (ridiculous notion of placing specific jobs on a gender, but that's another discussion, of which I did a thread sometime ago on, on the male gender's role in society) I'm not so 'hot' on, changing a tyre, high level DIY (can paint & decorate / shelves up, that kind of thing I can do, but high end stuff, would struggle).

I can cook & bake to a pretty strong standard and maintain my garden well, but what are considered 'manly' stuff (ridiculous notion of placing specific jobs on a gender, but that's another discussion, of which I did a thread sometime ago on, on the male gender's role in society) I'm not so 'hot' on, changing a tyre, high level DIY (can paint & decorate / shelves up, that kind of thing I can do, but high end stuff, would struggle).
I was thinking this yesterday, when I wrote my post, but didn't want to derail the thread, however now that you've brought it up...

I don't know whether we'd say it's a generational thing, as we've come a long way with gender equality in recent years (although we still have a long way to go), but the dated concept would be where men brought in the money and kept the building together whereas women nurses the children and did the housework. I guess.

In this day and age, people don't need to know everything because we have plumbers, electricians, cooks, childminders at the click (or two) of our fingers.

Anyone that would imply otherwise, or whom may imply that all men should know how to change a tyre or fix a boiler or even build a shelf are (possibly subconsciously) sexist, and maybe have that alpha male about them.

Alpha Males to me are a breed, and often lack some sense(s); similar to people that throw their weight around to get attention.

To repeat a quote I heard not long ago; it is said that if you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced to compensate. This is why people with no sense of humour have a heightened sense of self importance. You can replace sense of humour with anything, but the general message is the same.

I think 'thankfully', Alpha-Male-ism is dying out to a degree, they clearly still exist, but as one gets older, as one's 'tolerance' for walking in same circles or being affected by such behavior, reduces, the 'need' to be in contact with lessens too.

The attitudes and approach is out-dated and thankfully many people (of all genders) are seeing that and unwilling to put up with that kind of thinking.

I know more guys my age and younger who can cook than can change a tyre.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a guy who knows how to cook and/or bake.

The big advantage (if not the only one) of being handy, in my opinion, is that you get to save money every time something needs fixing around the house.

Now, electricity is not my thing. I'm terrified of dying electrocuted.

since i bought my house last year, i've been trying to do some of the fixer-upper stuff on my own, or at least learn it. i replaced a bulb in the bathroom that had blown out, and i've replaced a few switch plates. thats pretty easy. i've been learning to paint and have painted the trim in a few rooms. not fun lol

i do intend to try and learn more as i go.

since i bought my house last year, i've been trying to do some of the fixer-upper stuff on my own, or at least learn it. i replaced a bulb in the bathroom that had blown out, and i've replaced a few switch plates. thats pretty easy. i've been learning to paint and have painted the trim in a few rooms. not fun lol

i do intend to try and learn more as i go.
Never in a million years will I understand anyone who subscribes to a career as a painter or decorator.

Some five years ago when I moved into my current residence I had the joy of painting every room in my house, and god what a god forsaken chore that was. :confused:

I'm a certified electrician, and worked a lot of construction sites. It's been years since I've been out in the field. I would die if I went back out in the field, LMAO. Having been a homeowner and landlady I've done some tinkering and fixing of things.

I have very basic skills since I never planned on owning a house or anything that I would need to fix. I mainly move the heavy stuff for people, then get out of the way. Luckily, I married a handy lady, although I've gone to home improvement stores where I've had to convince the employees that I'm not actually buying things for myself and just pretending to give them to her as gifts. :funny:

I'm a certified electrician, and worked a lot of construction sites. It's been years since I've been out in the field. I would die if I went back out in the field, LMAO. Having been a homeowner and landlady I've done some tinkering and fixing of things.

That's pretty awesome. I put in a fountain at my mom's house and had to run plumbing and electrical under a sidewalk. I wasn't going to do the electrical until the electrician told me he charged $180 an hour and then I decided Google and the Home Depot guy were my friends. I got one of those water pressure things to put in a run under the sidewalk....what a mess, but the dogs liked it. LOL. You're an electrician. I think that's ultra cool.

I have very basic skills since I never planned on owning a house or anything that I would need to fix. I mainly move the heavy stuff for people, then get out of the way. Luckily, I married a handy lady, although I've gone to home improvement stores where I've had to convince the employees that I'm not actually buying things for myself and just pretending to give them to her as gifts. :funny:

I do the same thing when I order my wife coffee at Starbucks or whatever. I've never drank coffee and get confused. Tall, Grande, and whatever. Latte, Capuchino (sp?), etc. What can't they just call them small, medium, and large so idiots like me feel like they know what they're talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"