Are you handy?

I consider myself pretty handy... I’ll tinker with electrics or plumbing, but anything major I’ll call in a pro, either of those things can go real bad real quick if you’re not carefull

I’ll repair stuff... decorate.. tune an up engine etc...
give me something to build... hell yeah I’ll go at it

I’m a qualified landscape architect so am comfortable with earth works n stuff.

some of that kinda stuff is pretty fun

Some major plumbing, electrical or structural stuff is probably not something most people should tinker with unless they have a really good idea what they are doing.

My attitude towards a lot of handy jobs is 'how hard can it be', I've never started anything & ever had to call anyone to bail me out so that philosophy has served me well.

Also in this day & age you can pretty much find all the help you'll ever need on the internet if you ever get stuck.

Nope. My dad and my brother both are extremely handy and good at that sort of stuff but it's just not me.

Am I handy?

giphy.gif

Careful with the electrical panels near the thermostats located where insert each heating element. Overall, you'll need to turn the breaker switch off and have a way to test the electrical discharge (plumbers use 1 tester make sure breaker being off works).

The thermostat can then be made even at a lower temperature. If a heating element isn't working properly or thermostats set to high or uneven with one another overheating may occur but in most cases replacing with a new water heater least troublesome. The pipes above leaking and causing corrosion on the top is another common problem. The tank shouldn't touch the floor but be on blocks typically I think too. Make sure there's some insulation covering the electrical panel after put cover on for safety sake.

One can electrocute themselves if not proper precaution taken.

I service my own cars. I’ve laid all of my own hardwood floors. I’ve finished my basement in my old house including running electrical, studding out the walls and hanging drywall. I own probably 8 different types of power saws and use them each regularly. So I guess I’m pretty handy.

I was raised by a father who had three separate words of wisdom to live by:
1) never go anywhere that you don’t look presentable;
2) never handle the same thing twice. Do it right the first time and be done with it; and
3) you have two hands just like the guy you’d pay to do the work for you. So save yourself the money and do it yourself. Unless you find a man with three hands and then hire him.

I service my own cars. I’ve laid all of my own hardwood floors. I’ve finished my basement in my old house including running electrical, studding out the walls and hanging drywall. I own probably 8 different types of power saws and use them each regularly. So I guess I’m pretty handy.

I was raised by a father who had three separate words of wisdom to live by:
1) never go anywhere that you don’t look presentable;
2) never handle the same thing twice. Do it right the first time and be done with it; and
3) you have two hands just like the guy you’d pay to do the work for you. So save yourself the money and do it yourself. Unless you find a man with three hands and then hire him.
That's pretty impressive......

I have a table saw, my 18v DeWalt sets (2 drills so I don't have to think about swapping between a drill bit and a phillips head driver), miter saw, grinder, various hand saws, etc. My compressor comes in handy for my nail guns, paint guns, and nozzles.

I built a deck for my mom (Man, composite decking is EXPENSIVE, but I guess it's worth it long term) and when she wanted a fountain in her backyard, I ran the power and water under the sidewalk (that created a HUGE mess LOL). I had to figure out the code for the electrical because I had generally just run romex on the interior of the house. I figured it out exterior wiring after the electrician told me he charged $180/hour. :funny:

I can hang sheet rock, but taping????? If I do that it ends up looking like a 3rd grade art project. I really admire the guys who can do that. So, I guess I'm pretty handy (aka cheap). I always say "No job is too small, but some are too big".

That's pretty impressive......

I have a table saw, my 18v DeWalt sets (2 drills so I don't have to think about swapping between a drill bit and a phillips head driver), miter saw, grinder, various hand saws, etc. My compressor comes in handy for my nail guns, paint guns, and nozzles.

I built a deck for my mom (Man, composite decking is EXPENSIVE, but I guess it's worth it long term) and when she wanted a fountain in her backyard, I ran the power and water under the sidewalk (that created a HUGE mess LOL). I had to figure out the code for the electrical because I had generally just run romex on the interior of the house. I figured it out exterior wiring after the electrician told me he charged $180/hour. :funny:

I can hang sheet rock, but taping????? If I do that it ends up looking like a 3rd grade art project. I really admire the guys who can do that. So, I guess I'm pretty handy (aka cheap). I always say "No job is too small, but some are too big".
I own a table say, a compound mitre saw, which I use all the time, a band saw that I absolutely love, a jigsaw, an oscillating saw, dremel saw, a circular saw that I barely use anymore, a wet tile saw, and a bunch of hand saws. I have a couple of drills, including a cheap hammer drill, but I use my Dewalt 18v the most. I’ve learned that a good drill is not something to skimp out on. I also love to use my compressor. I have five different nailers, including a floor nailer which is a blast to use. My favorite though is my pin nailer which makes all the difference for putting up trim as it literally nails with a pin.

I built a deck from scratch at my old house. I got ambitious and put in built-in benches and they turned out perfect. I still have some flooring to put in but then I will probably start re-doing my deck. I am planning to use composite decking and to put in vinyl railing and stair rails.

One project that I’m particularly proud of is that I actually used my wet tile saw to cut quartz for a sidesplash. That was a messy job and very nerve wracking because one slip up and you can easily ruin a $200 piece of quartz. But it worked great.

Here are photos of my old house. None of this is my decor. I wouldn’t be caught dead with UofL stuff in my house. I just got the photos off the realtor’s website when it was re-sold. This was my wife and my starter home, but we ended up staying there for 13 years.

Here is the deck that I put in with the built in benches:
IMG_4097.jpeg
IMG_4095.jpeg

And here is the basement. It was just a concrete basement. I roughed in the studs, the electrical, the ductwork, hung the drywall walls and ceiling, built some half walls and put in the floors the trim and the stairs. Basically I put it all in.
IMG_4096.jpeg

Here are photos of my old house. None of this is my decor. I wouldn’t be caught dead with UofL stuff in my house. I just got the photos off the realtor’s website when it was re-sold. This was my wife and my starter home, but we ended up staying there for 13 years.

Here is the deck that I put in with the built in benches:
View attachment 88416
View attachment 88417

And here is the basement. It was just a concrete basement. I roughed in the studs, the electrical, the ductwork, hung the drywall walls and ceiling, built some half walls and put in the floors the trim and the stairs. Basically I put it all in.
View attachment 88418
There's no way I build that basement. Not to give you a pat on the back (cause I know you don't need one LOL), but that's damn impressive. The decks, I could do, but that looks like contractor grade work. I like the pics in the background "Get up!" :funny: Was it a home theater? I built one of those in my garage before it got turned into an ADU. I did the insulation, ran electrical, sheet rock (not taping LOL), painting, and equipment installation. My kids were young so the decorating reflected that as they would have friends over and would also have sleepovers (with me as breakfast caterer). I think I have pics somewhere, but would have to look.

There's no way I build that basement. Not to give you a pat on the back (cause I know you don't need one LOL), but that's damn impressive. The decks, I could do, but that looks like contractor grade work. I like the pics in the background "Get up!" :funny: Was it a home theater? I built one of those in my garage before it got turned into an ADU. I did the insulation, ran electrical, sheet rock (not taping LOL), painting, and equipment installation. My kids were young so the decorating reflected that as they would have friends over and would also have sleepovers (with me as breakfast caterer). I think I have pics somewhere, but would have to look.
I put in speaker wire before I finished the room to give the option for a home theater, but we kept our 5.1 receiver upstairs.

I put in speaker wire before I finished the room to give the option for a home theater, but we kept our 5.1 receiver upstairs.
Did you have help with the basement? I know you have "another" job, but how long did it take to complete? Like in total "hours" and over time (like in months). That's a boat of work, but you saved a fortune. In LA, that job (can't tell the size from the photos) looks like it could easily have cost you 80-100K, but I think construction probably costs more in SoCal than it does in KY.

Oh yeah......what's with the LOUISVILLE pillows? Why doesn't it say "Wildcats"? :funny:

One project that I’m particularly proud of is that I actually used my wet tile saw to cut quartz for a sidesplash. That was a messy job and very nerve wracking because one slip up and you can easily ruin a $200 piece of quartz. But it worked great.
i'd like to see that project

I own a table say, a compound mitre saw, which I use all the time, a band saw that I absolutely love, a jigsaw, an oscillating saw, dremel saw, a circular saw that I barely use anymore, a wet tile saw, and a bunch of hand saws. I have a couple of drills, including a cheap hammer drill, but I use my Dewalt 18v the most. I’ve learned that a good drill is not something to skimp out on. I also love to use my compressor. I have five different nailers, including a floor nailer which is a blast to use. My favorite though is my pin nailer which makes all the difference for putting up trim as it literally nails with a pin.

I built a deck from scratch at my old house. I got ambitious and put in built-in benches and they turned out perfect. I still have some flooring to put in but then I will probably start re-doing my deck. I am planning to use composite decking and to put in vinyl railing and stair rails.

I LOVE my DeWalt 18V set. It cost me a pretty penny, but I've had them for well over 20 years and haven't heard a peep out of anything. However, I've gone through more batteries than I can remember. :funny:

You'd probably make more money as a contractor. LOL

I'm handy, but not like, big power tool handy. I mean' an electric screwdriver or a drill or something, sure.... Something that can chop my arm or an installation that can electrocute me to death? Time to delegate to the experts.

I have 50,000+ posts in this site so yes!

But the most I could do, is use a vacuum cleaner and apply wall wallpaper.

I'm handy, but not like, big power tool handy. I mean' an electric screwdriver or a drill or something, sure.... Something that can chop my arm or an installation that can electrocute me to death? Time to delegate to the experts.

i'd like to see that project
It isn’t actually that amazing to look at. We bought a pre-cut vanity top, but the quartz backsplash was about 3/4 inch too tall and wouldn’t fit under the mirror. So rather than taking the mirror off the wall, which made me too nervous, I actually cut the backsplash down. What I am proud of is that no one would ever be able to tell that I cut it down:
IMG_4116.jpeg

Seriously, cutting quartz was crazy messy, even with a wet saw. There was junk flying everywhere. And I had to keep feeding the quartz because if I stopped, the friction would make the quartz start to burn. It was messy, and there was little room for error. I was seriously scared that it would crumble because I practiced on a spare granite sample piece and the granite would crumble. But the quartz was a lot harder, so it held up.

As nerve wracking as it was, it was very satisfying when it worked out perfectly and I was really proud of how it turned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"