Assassin's Creed: Origins

Back when Assassin's Creed Origins was called Empire, it was set to be a 3 part trilogy.

My guess is -> Egypt -> Greece -> Rome

Well you know what they say, there’s no place like Rome!

As long as the same dev crew of Origins is on it, it should be spectacular.

I'm not done with Syndicate yet, but I just picked this up and tried it for a hour and wow.... this is my 8th Ac game and I feel like every game has something different from its predecessors but this one feels really different. I don't think there's a map in the hud, the controls are different which could be a challenge and the skills table is ginormous! The graphics are really good and I like the desert setting!

If the new controls are bothering you there is an option to switch the attack buttons to Square and Triangle.

They removed the minimap because they did tests to see what players were focusing on and realized players spend too much time watching mini maps. They wanted players to spend their time watching the world so they ditched the minimap and instead put an unobtrusive compass with markers in the top of the UI.

They discuss it and other things in this featurette:

Yeah I always look at the mini map, so I think I would need to press the touch button more often in this game.

As for the controls, I would just need to get used to it. The loss of the mini map is more crucial of the two.

So I am playing this and I have to say this is the most tedious of all the Ac games I've played so far.

The missions have lots of walking around/follow this person/use your eagle to find... ugh! hate it! I'm thinking just skipping the side missions but I don't know if I can exactly do that as I need xp points and I need to level up like up to level 40. I'm now in level 29 and everytime I leveled up, the amount of xp points required to the next level increases.

I'm a bit disappointed with this. Like I've already visited every location but the missions are a bit tedious... I have yet to do naval combat but from what I've read from the net, is they are only a few of them and its just for story missions, eh.

So I have finally finished this. I would have finished it sooner, if I didn't get an illness and if I liked this game.

This is the one Ac game that took me the longest to adjust, like just the way things are represented is so different from the previous games. There's no small map, the chests here are fewer but harder to locate and to get due to the enemies. I didn't really like look of the menu especially when it comes to displaying the gears. It looked very mobile game to me. There's no progress tracker and sequences. Like it doesn't show the percentage you've have already completed. What it basically have is just a list of missions. The controls are different from the previous games and I just wish they didn't change so much stuff.

The graphics are really good. The attention to details is amazing. Love those big statues. The deserts are nice. I love riding the camels. The underwater sections are less claustrophobic than Black Flag. The map is humungous. The animals are nice as well especially the hippopotamuses.

The first thing I prioritized here is going to all of the locations available and getting the skills and upgrades. I liked destroying the statues and finding the constellation stuff. The rest like looting treasures, finding the papyrus can be a choir especially they aren't exactly quick to find. Taking down king animals and leaders were engaging if I could beat them. When I was around level 35, I cleared the map when it came to finding treasures and killing captains, which was really time consuming because I just went on and on. The elephants were the hardest, I thought I was gonna skip them but they reward ability points so I finished them. But I was always close to death with those elephants.

The story missions here were tedious as hell. For example, Egypt's Medjay had nine freaking objectives and I was just so over it. I hate using the Eagle to find the target and a lot of the missions here require that. Sometimes it took me 5 minutes just to find my target, it was so annoying. I really hated that a lot of missions had like 7 to 15 objectives and it takes at least 30 minutes to finish. Go to this, follow that person, go to this, talk to this person, investigate, talk to this person, go to this place times infinity. It was always like that! It could have just jumped right through the action after those long cutscenes. By the end of each mission, I was just over it. I also thought the final mission with Aya was odd. I was expecting one more mission with Bayek. There were some nice missions like the naval battles, shooting enemies in a horse ride and the Snake boss fight. But nothing really wowed me.

The side missions, I didn't care at all. There are so many in the maps. I just didn't feel doing them as I know they'd be as tedious as the story missions. Though I was forced to do some of them so I could level up to 40. I didn't solve those papyrus except for one, which gave me a fire weapon and that I used that one until the end.

One of the things I dreaded doing here is the tomb raids. I dislike going to these creepy locations especially in Assassin's Creed, in which a lot of locations are filled with people. I'm used to being surrounded by people in these games, and when I get to the more isolated locations and its just me, it creeps me out and it makes me not want to play or when I'm playing, I just want to get out there as soon as I can. I didn't even do all the secret areas in II and Brotherhood for that reason. In Origins, I felt like I would be missing if I skipped things so I went to all the tombs.

One of the things I hated in this game is you are pretty much doomed if the enemy is like three to four levels above you. And the thing is when I was on the road with my camel there were plenty of times I got killed because they saw me and I was just passing through in the freaking road. 1 arrow hit and I got desynchronized and those weren't even the bounty hunters. The map is big but almost too big, that I don't even remember what the other locations look like.

Bayek also doesn't have a "base", where his gears and weapons are displayed in a wall. Every Ac game I've played before, the protagonist has a safe place and you can view stuff. In Origins, its just gone and there's not even a database like character profiles! I just miss those. I didn't really like Bayek and the story just didn't interest me. Layla was meh and the present day scenes aren't as interesting as the present day scenes from the previous games. It didnt even have a proper ending. The only one I liked was Aya. The story also felt gloomy it wasn't fun and engaging to me.

I didn't really like this game. Sure, the graphics look great. But I wasn't that happy with the gameplay changes and the missions were really tedious and the worst in the series, in my opinion. The map quests though were addicting.

AC is now a full on RPG and it began with this game. Dont expect it to go back to how the older games are. With Odyssey, it leans into that even more

And the next one is rumored to be even more of an RPG than Odyssey.

This month, I reinstalled this as I linked all my Ubisoft games to my Uplay account. Then I decided to finally finish all the sides quests and I think I finished at least 60 side quests. They are just too many and I didn't know I already got the highest level (40, this excludes the dlcs) before. I also finally maxed out my gear. I also got the really weird Final Fantasy-ish part. And I finally got my Uplay rewards which, you have to wait for days for you to use them in the game - which is weird, it shouldn't take that long.

I kinda appreciate this game more now. Last year, I was sick for like two months. So when I was playing this, i had a lot of breaks becauss I easily got fatigue. And this game reminded me of that awful time. Like when I hear Bayek's voice and the sound effects, I instantly remember that time. But now, I can kinda play this more without being reminded me of those days. Also, the map of this game is huge and the details to the environment are impeccable. I kinda forgot that you can also dive into the ocean. Like you can criticize Ubisoft for a lot of things but they know how to make a beautiful looking game.

Yeah this game is easily one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever played with two of the best protagonists. It’s an interesting character study on how people process grief differently too; while Bayek is consumed with pain and vengeance over his son’s death, Aya uses it as motivation to liberate Egypt. It’s debatable whose motivation is more noble or heroic. It made me sad at the end when they split up.

I do think they could have done better with the Big Bad though. Like, introduced him earlier or made him more interesting. When it was finally revealed, I was like, “Huh? Who the hell is that?” And the fight against him was challenging but I still managed to beat him on the first try.

One thing I HATED in this game was the ship battles. Whenever they came up, my thoughts were, “Oh crap. This again?” They seemed to have worked out the kinks of naval combat since then though; I’m into Odyssey now and the ship battles are much more fun.

Last thing. I know Marvel said they won’t recast the role of Black Panther but if they ever change their minds about that, they might want to consider the dude who voiced Bayek. I legit thought it was Chadwick Boseman voicing the character when I started playing it; he sounded so much like T’Challa to me. Looked him up and he’s got a good look for BP too. Apparently he’s on Raised By Wolves, which I’ve been meaning to watch.

Yeah this game is easily one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever played with two of the best protagonists. It’s an interesting character study on how people process grief differently too; while Bayek is consumed with pain and vengeance over his son’s death, Aya uses it as motivation to liberate Egypt. It’s debatable whose motivation is more noble or heroic. It made me sad at the end when they split up.

I do think they could have done better with the Big Bad though. Like, introduced him earlier or made him more interesting. When it was finally revealed, I was like, “Huh? Who the hell is that?” And the fight against him was challenging but I still managed to beat him on the first try.

One thing I HATED in this game was the ship battles. Whenever they came up, my thoughts were, “Oh crap. This again?” They seemed to have worked out the kinks of naval combat since then though; I’m into Odyssey now and the ship battles are much more fun.

Last thing. I know Marvel said they won’t recast the role of Black Panther but if they ever change their minds about that, they might want to consider the dude who voiced Bayek. I legit thought it was Chadwick Boseman voicing the character when I started playing it; he sounded so much like T’Challa to me. Looked him up and he’s got a good look for BP too. Apparently he’s on Raised By Wolves, which I’ve been meaning to watch.
The ship battles are better in Black Flag and Rogue. If you want something smaller play 1, 2, 3, Unity, Rogue, Brotherhood, Revelations, Liberation and Syndicate. The only AC game I find as time consuming as the last 3 AC games is Black Flag which is one of the best in the series.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about checking out Black Flag. I was a huge fan of Black Sails and I know BF features some of the same historical figures.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about checking out Black Flag. I was a huge fan of Black Sails and I know BF features some of the same historical figures.
Here how I categorize the games
I & 2 - features the most well known protagonist in the series, I haven't played 1 yet but like 2 its not just 1 open world map but at least 3
2/Revelations/Brotherhood - Ezio trilogy, Revelations is the shortest and has the smallest map but features Altair
1 to 3 - if you want the full Desmond eXperience, its five games

3/Rogue - this two is similar because they feature North America, they feature a lot of same characters though the naval ship in 3 is for story missions only
Rogue/Black Flag - this two is similar as well but Rogue has three maps while Black Flag is just the most time consuming, you get to raid ships in these games
Liberation- originally a ps vita game and imo is the smallest game in the series but it featuresthe bayou and a town, two separate maps
Unity/Syndicate - set in a very populated city

I suggest you try the smaller games before Black Flag. Like I'd pick Unity or Syndicate for you, its different from Origins/Odyssey but both have a skill tree and costumes are more customizable like in Origins/Odssey. But if you want the most time consuming, play Black Flag, just beware there's plenty of frustrating tailing missions though that will automatically desynchronized your game if an enemy spotted you. Also the present day segment is in the 1st person perspective and has no character whatsoever, like youll control a random employee in the office.

Ah yeah I hate those missions in games where you have to sneak around like 100 bad guys and not get spotted. Shadow of War/Mordor had missions like that and they would drive me nuts.

Ah yeah I hate those missions in games where you have to sneak around like 100 bad guys and not get spotted. Shadow of War/Mordor had missions like that and they would drive me nuts.
Thats why you shouldn't try Black Flag next as that might disinterest you in trying the older games. Tailing missions are the main criticism about Black Flag.

Syndicate and Unity had fewer of these tailing missions and like Origins/Odyssey, those games give you options how to assassinate someone. Those games are shorter as well so if you want to binge play Ac more, those games won't overwhelm you with content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"