Awesome stuff I did at the Toronto Comic Con with my Press Pass!

random_havoc

The Golden Guardian
Reaction score
For those of you that don't know, I write comic book reviews for a pretty big website. As a result I got a press pass for this years Toronto comic convention. And let me tell you, there's nothing sweeter than seeing a line of hundreds of people, and then walking passed them all, flashing a press pass, and walking straight in!

Got to do so SO many cool things today.

To save time, I'll put them in point form:

-I got a brief one-on-one interview Joe Quesada!!! (more details on that in the thread of that name)

-Also got brief interviews with: Terry Dodson, Dale Keown, David Finch

-David Finch showed me the finished art for a cover to a Moon Knight comic coming out in the near future. Said he wasn't supposed to show it yet, but since it doesn't spoil anything he didn't care. It was basically just moon knight crouched down up on something in an alley but it looked bloody amazing.

-Chris Bachalo went against Alex Maleev in a sketch duel, both drawing Doc Doom. Chris' was alright, but not great (said he'd needed more time). Maleev's Doom looked incredible even just a couple minutes into the pencils, and looked like somethin they could use as a cover by the end of the 1 hr time limit. (Maleev is also hilarious by the way - as is Ethan Van Sciver on a side note).

-I almost got a full size sketch of the Sentry done by Deodato, but he had to rush off due to an emergency of some kind and left the convention 1 1/2 early :( Left his rep my card. Since he'd said he would and had drawn a few lines I hope to hear from him, but that's obviously highly doubtful.

-Had one of the random conventioners see my name when i passed my business card (as a comic reviewer) to someone, and the conventioner was like "Oh, I've read your stuff on comic bulletin!". Officially made my day even more awesome than it had already been.
-

In regards to the Finch, Keown, Dodson interviews:

-Finch: he's doing more moon knight for a little bit and not sure what to do next. I asked if there's any chance he'll go back to Avengers, and he looked quite uncomfortable and said "not for quite some time". He wouldn't explain why though (looked like he was going to but then stopped himself). He also said himself that virtually every review has given Ultimatum bad comments except for his art (at least he knows it). He wouldn't go so far as to say that he thought the writing was bad though.

-Keown: For fans of the character Pitt (freakin awesome character from the 90s that Keown not only created, but drew AND wrote), he of course is in the Darkness/Pitt 3 ish crossover out right now. When asked about his thoughts on Jenkin's take on the character Keown said he liked it alot but thinks Jenkin makes Pitt talk too much (thinks of him as more of a stoic charcter). Also said they're ignoring later issues of Pitt in which the kid (jeremy was it?) grew into a teen and eventually died. Keown said he just told Jenkin to take the character as he best liked him and write him from there.
When I said how many people love his Hulk art and whether he'd work back with Marvel Keown said he'd definitely like to work with Marvel again and that Hulk is his favorite character

Dodson: Said he's going to continue on in the x-men titles for quite some time and really enjoys alternating with Greg Land (my inner reaction: ugh).
... dangit, can't remember what else he said offhand and don't have my audio recordings with me.

Also, something said by Ethan Van Sciver during one session was that he plans to stay with DC forever. He said when he worked at Marvel he thought they have some unhealthy practices, and he felt like the people there weren't happy. Then he said "So I'm staying with DC..... unless Marvel offers me zillions of millions of dollars" lol

Oh yeah, also really cool about having a press pass and being a comic reviewer:
I had a number of the indie comic makers giving me free stuff if I agreed to review it on the site :woot:
Was given 3 graphic novels for free that were at a price of $20 each, plus a bunch of individual issues. Luckily I've got a colleague helping me review them or this'd take forever lol.

So you live in Toronto?

I have a friend that buys comics there... I wish I could remember the shop... it's the one that got Stan Lee to sign a bunch of comics for a fee last year...

Wow, you're lucky! :up:

I feel really blessed. Funny thing is, up until about 3 1/2 years ago I hadn't bought comics for years, but my wife encouraged me to get back into it as a hobby, then encouraged me to go to a comic convention, and now looks how great it's turned out :)

I feel really blessed. Funny thing is, up until about 3 1/2 years ago I hadn't bought comics for years, but my wife encouraged me to get back into it as a hobby, then encouraged me to go to a comic convention, and now looks how great it's turned out :)
Really? Wow, lol. :woot:

Sounds like you had a great time, random. That's awesome!

Probably because she knows comic fans aren't know for seeing much action :woot:

Seriously though that's a damn cool wife, I don't suppose she has a sister :D

Probably because she knows comic fans aren't know for seeing much action :woot:

Seriously though that's a damn cool wife, I don't suppose she has a sister :D

She does but she's also married lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume