RIP Comic-Con?

I really don't get it. Comic-Con is not some tool for these large companies to advertise and make money.

Studios saw that it could generate hype/money and moved in for the kill. Actors and actresses flocked to it.

Comic-Con went commercial.

Now studios are pulling out because the money they invested in advertising at Comic Comic isn't coming back with bigger movie ticket sales etc.

I do. :csad:

As for SDCC, I don't want it to change, unless it's changing the name. I LOVE having an all-encompassing Con for all the entertainment stuff I love in one place. I always look forward to the various panels like it's Christmas in July. I agree that it stopped being a "comic-con" a long time ago, but there are plenty of big comic-cons, no? Just change the name to Uber-Con and be done with it.

I agree. :up:

If they take the movie stuff, I have no intrest...:o

Not a comic guy.

The studios are missing a key thing here: SDCC is one of the few opportunities the big studios have to "workshop" their big mainstream projects. The smart ones can and have taken the negative stuff they encounter at SDCC and fixed it. It's almost like a major film festival in a way, in terms of being able to assess if their work is getting the job done. If they somehow expected SDCC to be an automatic audience-manipulating vehicle for them forever, they're stupid.

I really don't get it. Comic-Con is not some tool for these large companies to advertise and make money.

:up: I agree, and yet they do it year after year. I truly enjoy the movie panels but the expectations the companies have need to be re-evaluated. A lot of the time it's like sitting and listening the panelists sell you the movie, when most people are already sold, that's why they're there.

I accidentally ended up in the Solomon Kane panel and it was fun to have a panel which, was trying to garner fan but at the same time you could tell the Director was excited to share his experiences filming (never heard so may behind the scene stories from a movie panel in my life).

Other than Hall H, I have never had to wait more than 15 minutes in line for a panel I wanted to see. One time I waited 20 minutes for an Archer panel and was one of the last people in. That was probably the worst experience other than Hall H, which I now get up at 5 am and wait 5 hours haha (well maybe not anymore if WB and Disney don't show...)

Ballroom 20 is just as bad, and it also really depends on the panels and scheduling. One year I was in Hall H for an hour for one panel, the next day there was no line for Hall H and I walked right in. I always look at what's planned for later in the day in that room and then figure out a line time ratio to that.

But I have to agree, you meet the coolest people in lines and that is part of the experience in a way. If there were no lines there'd be nothing to slow you down and allow you to converse with total strangers who may or may not have the same likes as you, but on some level you share a common interest with. I have vivid memories attached to certain lines for products and panels that are some of my favorite ones. :yay:

The studios are missing a key thing here: SDCC is one of the few opportunities the big studios have to "workshop" their big mainstream projects. The smart ones can and have taken the negative stuff they encounter at SDCC and fixed it. It's almost like a major film festival in a way, in terms of being able to assess if their work is getting the job done. If they somehow expected SDCC to be an automatic audience-manipulating vehicle for them forever, they're stupid.

:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"