Batman Begins Bale's diet and training for BB

DeGenerate10

Br Ba
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been posted before. What did Bale do to gain so much weight and muscle for Batman Begins? I'd like to see his weight training routine. Man really beefed up from the Machinist.

Whatever Michael Phelps eats!

i think just about every guy online has looked for that one since 2004 when Wayne in training pics came out. no official diet log or training log but in interviews for the gaining weight part Bale consistently said he stuffed his face with donuts, pizza, and ice cream to gain weight fast, then bread, pasta, oatmeal, salmon, rice, sweet potatoes, protein shakes when lifting weights. Bale also had said his training took about 3 months to get prepared on top of the total 6 month weight gain.

As far as the weight training program goes, this is my guess, by trial and error, as to what bales' training regime was: *btw any fitness buffs here feel free to point out errors in my guess, this training program is what i used for my clients and the similar results i saw for their physique and bales'. AND after trading emails with Rodney Johnson, the marine who trained Mr. Bale during the filming of Batman Begins and owns a home out here in Santa Monica where coincidentally Christian Bale lives, he has graciously read this regime and said it was very much 'near accuracy' of what they did for Bale.*

Bale gained a LOT of mass esp when you see him in the training sequences. When watching the 'Shaping body and mind' I was surprised to see bale bigger than he did on the silver screen. To achieve this mass in a short time frame he would've had to incorporate the full body training program instead of the 6 day bodypart per day schedule that guys like tobey maguire for spiderman, ryan reynolds for blade 3, and sean williams scott for the rundown used to gain muscle while keeping a slim figure. *imo this program never appealed to me unless you gained mass then you went on to do spread them over 6 days because it's too long of a wait till you work out that body part again.. just my opinion though* To achieve the mass he gained, Bales exercises wouldve mostly have been compound exercises such as the "golden 5", the bench press, the deadlift, squats, bent over barbell rows, and the barbell shoulder press.
:3 day schedule/routine Month 1:
Monday
5 minute warm up
Stretch your body and take about a good 15 minutes to do so.
(use pyramid reps to stimulate slow and fast twitch fibers in the muscles and the first set should be for warm ups)
Chest: Barbell flat bench press 4 sets x 15 reps, 8, 6, 4 reps
Shoulder: Barbell shoulder press 4 sets x 15, 10, 8, 6 reps
Back: Wide grip pulldown 4 sets x 15, 10, 8, 6 reps
Quadriceps: Barbell Squats 3 sets x 10, 8, 6 reps
Hamstrings/Lower back: Stiff Legged Deadlift 3 sets x 12 reps
Traps: Barbell shrugs 3 sets x 10, 8, 6 reps
* this is day 1 and try not to focus on isolated bodyparts such as biceps, triceps, forearms because this is to gain mass all the while trying to keep your workout under 1 hour. I can go on and off about your cortisol levels rising after 45 minutes in the gym but i'll stray from that. Again, this month is to gain mass altogether. Also try to keep the first set under 1 minute and the rest of the sets up to and under 2 minutes.

Wednesday
5 minute warm ups (jog in place, treadmill, or jumping jacks - something to get your body temp up)
stretching
Chest: Incline 45 degree barbell bench press 4 sets x 15, 10, 8, 6 reps
Shoulder: Barbell upright rows 4 sets x 12, 10, 8, 6
Back: Bent over Barbell rows 4 sets x 15, 8, 6, 4 reps
Quads: Barbell lunges 4 sets x 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
Lower Back: Barbell good mornings x 12, 10, 8 reps
Traps: Dumbbell shrugs x 12, 10, 8 reps

Friday
warm ups
stretching
Chest: Decline Barbell bench press 2 sets x 8, 6 reps + 1 set dumbbell press x 8 reps + 1 set incline dumbbell press x 8 reps
Shoulders: Dumbbell shoulder press 4 sets x 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
Back: Dumbbell rows 4 sets x 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
Quads: Incline leg press 4 sets x 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
Hamstrings: Dumbbell deadlifts 4 sets x 12, 10, 8, 6 reps
Traps: Barbell shrugs 2 sets x 12, 10 reps + Dumbbell shrugs 2 sets x 8, 6 reps

well, this would be month 1 and the rep ranges are purposely interchanged to continuously shock the muscles and bring something new each workout. Hope this helped some of you. Off to bed and go into month 2 and 3 as well as diet according to height and weight tomorrow, cheers.

:o

Steroids don't help you gain weight, do they?

Oh yes they do. But they have the added benefit of turning almost anything you eat into Muscle...not fat. As long as you work out on a regular schedule to burn off the extra energy and jitteryness that comes from good old Deca-durabolin or Nandralone -deconate or standard Testosterone. So in Bales situation (if he was taking them) if he was a stick figure from the Machine-ist, and then started taking Steroids...eat like a horse...and workout like a madman you could easily end up putting on a bunch of weight(muscle). Most people think you just take Steroids and workout. No you take them...eat...workout...and you'll end up putting on a bunch of muscle.
And before anyone says that Bale would Never do that to his body...How would that be any different or more dangerous that what he did for the Machine-ist?
And was it just me or did it look like Bale was getting ready to do the Machine-ist 2 in TDK? He looked very thin and his face was sunken in and bony...

He definitely didn't have the biceps or appear to be 'full' he did in Begins for example, but he looked sunken in and bony in TDK? Hardly, that'd be going a tad bit too far.

begins5866865797ar2.jpg

789br2ff2.png

I know you can't see his arms too good here in this screen cap, but it's all I have at the moment.

Last edited:
He definitely didn't have that biceps he did in Begins, but sunken in and bony? Hardly.

begins5866865797ar2.jpg

789br2ff2.png

I know you can't see his arms too good here in this screen cap, but it's all I have at the moment.

hmmmm i wonder how he got those bruises and scars since the armor is supposed to protect him :confused:

Im talking more about how his face looked in the scene in the makeshift batcave where Alfred gives Bruce the story about the bandit and the precious stones. His face looks bony and his jaws are sunken. He didnt look too healthy in those scenes...

hmmmm i wonder how he got those bruises and scars since the armor is supposed to protect him :confused:

I was reading the novelization of Batman: Gotham Knight and in it he explains that when he gets shot it still leaves a deep bruise and hurts as if he was punched and not wearing the armor. It works for me...

Makes sense, because the most it could do is disperse the damage, which (if u google nano armor or w/e) you can see they are trying to make something like that, which they say will disperse the damage.

Makes also sense as to when
two-face shoots batman at the end and he falls down

Anyways, I wonder what was the reasoning for him to not bulk-up like he did in begins, if it was doctored order, or just him not wanting too this time around.

Anyways, I wonder what was the reasoning for him to not bulk-up like he did in begins, if it was doctored order, or just him not wanting too this time around.

I read in an interview with Bale he said he didn't bulk up as much as he did in Begins cause the new Batsuit was gonna be more flexible and make him more mobile. I guess with the new design worked better if he wasn't as jacked or maybe it was Bale's call on what he wanted to do.

I was reading the novelization of Batman: Gotham Knight and in it he explains that when he gets shot it still leaves a deep bruise and hurts as if he was punched and not wearing the armor. It works for me...

ahhh yes makes sense.... thank you for that! makes it much more believable.. but damn the man has taken quite a few bullets huh? the one he took from Harvey is gonna leave a nice one lol

Last edited:
i think just about every guy online has looked for that one since 2004 when Wayne in training pics came out. no official diet log or training log but in interviews for the gaining weight part Bale consistently said he stuffed his face with donuts, pizza, and ice cream to gain weight fast, then bread, pasta, oatmeal, salmon, rice, sweet potatoes, protein shakes when lifting weights. Bale also had said his training took about 3 months to get prepared on top of the total 6 month weight gain.

As far as the weight training program goes, this is my guess, by trial and error, as to what bales' training regime was: *btw any fitness buffs here feel free to point out errors in my guess, this training program is what i used for my clients and the similar results i saw for their physique and bales'. AND after trading emails with Rodney Johnson, the marine who trained Mr. Bale during the filming of Batman Begins and owns a home out here in Santa Monica where coincidentally Christian Bale lives, he has graciously read this regime and said it was very much 'near accuracy' of what they did for Bale.*

Bale gained a LOT of mass esp when you see him in the training sequences. When watching the 'Shaping body and mind' I was surprised to see bale bigger than he did on the silver screen. To achieve this mass in a short time frame he would've had to incorporate the full body training program instead of the 6 day bodypart per day schedule that guys like tobey maguire for spiderman, ryan reynolds for blade 3, and sean williams scott for the rundown used to gain muscle while keeping a slim figure. *imo this program never appealed to me unless you gained mass then you went on to do spread them over 6 days because it's too long of a wait till you work out that body part again.. just my opinion though* To achieve the mass he gained, Bales exercises wouldve mostly have been compound exercises such as the "golden 5", the bench press, the deadlift, squats, bent over barbell rows, and the barbell shoulder press.
:3 day schedule/routine Month 1:
Monday
5 minute warm up
Stretch your body and take about a good 15 minutes to do so.
(use pyramid reps to stimulate slow and fast twitch fibers in the muscles and the first set should be for warm ups)
Chest: Barbell flat bench press 4 sets x 15 reps, 8, 6, 4 reps
Shoulder: Barbell shoulder press 4 sets x 15, 10, 8, 6 reps
Back: Wide grip pulldown 4 sets x 15, 10, 8, 6 reps
Quadriceps: Barbell Squats 3 sets x 10, 8, 6 reps
Hamstrings/Lower back: Stiff Legged Deadlift 3 sets x 12 reps
Traps: Barbell shrugs 3 sets x 10, 8, 6 reps
* this is day 1 and try not to focus on isolated bodyparts such as biceps, triceps, forearms because this is to gain mass all the while trying to keep your workout under 1 hour. I can go on and off about your cortisol levels rising after 45 minutes in the gym but i'll stray from that. Again, this month is to gain mass altogether. Also try to keep the first set under 1 minute and the rest of the sets up to and under 2 minutes.

Wednesday
5 minute warm ups (jog in place, treadmill, or jumping jacks - something to get your body temp up)
stretching
Chest: Incline 45 degree barbell bench press 4 sets x 15, 10, 8, 6 reps
Shoulder: Barbell upright rows 4 sets x 12, 10, 8, 6
Back: Bent over Barbell rows 4 sets x 15, 8, 6, 4 reps
Quads: Barbell lunges 4 sets x 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
Lower Back: Barbell good mornings x 12, 10, 8 reps
Traps: Dumbbell shrugs x 12, 10, 8 reps

Friday
warm ups
stretching
Chest: Decline Barbell bench press 2 sets x 8, 6 reps + 1 set dumbbell press x 8 reps + 1 set incline dumbbell press x 8 reps
Shoulders: Dumbbell shoulder press 4 sets x 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
Back: Dumbbell rows 4 sets x 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
Quads: Incline leg press 4 sets x 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
Hamstrings: Dumbbell deadlifts 4 sets x 12, 10, 8, 6 reps
Traps: Barbell shrugs 2 sets x 12, 10 reps + Dumbbell shrugs 2 sets x 8, 6 reps

well, this would be month 1 and the rep ranges are purposely interchanged to continuously shock the muscles and bring something new each workout. Hope this helped some of you. Off to bed and go into month 2 and 3 as well as diet according to height and weight tomorrow, cheers.
16 years later, eagerly wait your response

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"