• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Batman: Earth One

Drz

Real Hero
Reaction score
Batman: Earth One

Watch from the darkest corners of Crime Alley as a young boy is struck by unbelievable tragedy that will forge the greatest crime-fighter to ever stalk the rooftops of Gotham City in BATMAN: EARTH ONE, by writer Geoff Johns and artist Gary Frank.

whats up with the Alfred redesign? Sean Connery is not only Indy's father now but also Bruce's adopted father? ;)

AICN interview has some nice details. Such as 1-2 GNs a year... This is basicly what "Ultimate DC" should have been. Not dissing All-Star Superman at all, but that story was about Supes' last days and well All-Star Batman is about Miller's Batman universe. =P

Screw Batman! Alfred could be Old Man Luke Cage of Gotham! Give him a shotgun and a cockney accent.

Batman looks like Christian Bale :D Alfred does like Sean Connery. :funny:

Last edited:
Best news in a while. I've been waiting for Ultimatee DC.

I'm really not too fond of batman's design. He's got a too superheroic and less demonic/scary appearance on that picture. I would have loved it if they went for a more gothic/pulp-noir look in this.

I'm still pretty excited for it. I, personally, love Batman's origin story and all the reimaginings it has got over the years. Although I hope that there is going to be an ongoing "40's pulp noir" batman series after the Batman/Doctor Savage oneshot. That sort of thing caught my attention much, much more. :)

I really like this for a number of reasons. First I don't buy comics anymore so graphic novels are more appealing and I think this will appeal more to adults who like the Batman character but that they're aimed toward building a new audience via bookstores instead of comic book shops.

Second, I love Geoff Johns comment where he says "BATMAN: EARTH ONE allows Gary and I to break the restraints of any continuity and focus on two things: character and story.” There is alot of baggage that has crept into the Batman mythos. I thought the addition of Damien was a mistake as it didn't make for neither good character or story development and they continue to prolong that mistake with the character appearing monthly in the comics.

Other reason, is that for me Batman is Bruce Wayne, not Dick Grayson. So its good to get a Graphic novel that will focus on the psychology of Bruce and the stories that result as a consquence of becoming a vigilante. In fact, Robin was originally added to get more children to purchase the comic. I have no problem with that and actually like the Robin character but I like the storytelling more with just Bruce himself and enjoy Nolan's approach without Robin and feel in that more realistic version is seems more plausable that a man doing with Wayne is attempting to do to not have a teenage boy as a sidekick.

Now that is not to say that Batman: Earth One will not introduce the Robin character but I get the impression that is not the direction this will go...at least for the foreseeable future.

This new series from DC seems to me to be more a fresh, mature and intellegent approach to telling the origin and the adventures of a very intriging character that was first introduced over 70 years ago and seems to be aimed to a non-traditional audience who do not buy comic books.

To quote a person from another forum, this new series seems "Much more user friendly, and I think DC is trying to get a "re-do", to make it easier to have a place for people interested in the characters to start and have a discrete, linear path to follow, without all the headaches associated with the random collection of books that make up the rest of the graphic novel section."

Cannot wait!

Batman looks like Christian Bale :D Alfred does like Sean Connery. :funny:
Actually Bruce looks like any number of handsome guys but Alfred looks more like Sam Elliot in Ang Lee's Hulk.

I'm really not too fond of batman's design. He's got a too superheroic and less demonic/scary appearance on that picture. I would have loved it if they went for a more gothic/pulp-noir look in this.

I'm still pretty excited for it. I, personally, love Batman's origin story and all the reimaginings it has got over the years. Although I hope that there is going to be an ongoing "40's pulp noir" batman series after the Batman/Doctor Savage oneshot. That sort of thing caught my attention much, much more. :)

Its certainly not a deviation from the superheroic look but I would not describe it as too superheroic. Its actually less and more military in design in my opinion and I think thats an indication of the direction this series is taking. As to the gothic/pulp-noir look well that has been done before and as it was said by one of the writers of Superman: Earth one, this approach assumes that the story is being told for the first time as of 2010, so as a result it would have a modern approach. Plus its only seems less scary because you are seeing a clear lighted picture of it. In actuallity, working in the shadows, any real look that most criminals would get of hm would be more of a glimpse than anything which I think would be quite terrifying.

Last edited:
This will be a definite change of pace from all of the convoluted storylines as Battle For The Cowl, that Damian kid, Batman RIP and Dick Grayson as Batman B.S.

Bruce Wayne is the one true Batman, he's just as interesting as being the billionaire playboy as he is playing Batman and when Bruce Wayne retires the Batman persona that will be the end of that, he's not gonna give the mantle to someone else.

I wish I could work for DC comics so show them how it's done right.

This will be a definite change of pace from all of the convoluted storylines as Battle For The Cowl, that Damian kid, Batman RIP and Dick Grayson as Batman B.S.

Bruce Wayne is the one true Batman, he's just as interesting as being the billionaire playboy as he is playing Batman and when Bruce Wayne retires the Batman persona that will be the end of that, he's not gonna give the mantle to someone else.

Great comments and I agree. I actually don't mind Dick Grayson trying to become Batman. The problem I have with DC is making him or anyone successful as Batman. I think with the conclusion that DC should demonstrate with that story is that no one, and I mean NO ONE can be successful perform the job of Batman other than Bruce Wayne, even with Wayne as your teacher and mentor. Its like Michael Jordan. You cannot duplicate that because its something that he possessed that went beyond mind and body. It was sheer will. Bruce is able to do what he does through that and his sheer will is constastly being driven by his inner demons.

EPIC WIN!

I have to say, I've never been a fan of the yellow oval as a symbol on the suit, but in the context of the rest of that awesome suit design, combined with the design of alfred, bruce, the creative team involved, and this being a graphic novel thing, there is NO WAY I am missing this. Johns and Frank have established themselves as one of the sickest creative teams in a while. After reading their Superman, I cannot wait to read thier Batman!

I loved All Star Batman, but THIS...THIS is ULTIMATE BATMAN!

Actually, that suit reminds me ALOT of the Ultimate Batman designed in an article Wizard magazine ran a few years back, it was like a "What if DC had an Ultimate line?" , all the way down to the yellow raised symbol, the costume seam lines, the balck belt, and the mask forehead plate.

I liked that design though, so I don't mind! :woot:

PS
With Alfred looking so HxC, I'm imagining him being a cross between how older Bruce was in Batman Beyond and how he was always driving Batman and Robin around in the 60s series, wearing his eye mask. Not that he'll have an eye mask, but I could see him being a little more gruff, helping bruce train, maybe driving the batmobile in a pinch. A little more involved in Batman's operation.

Like the Mickey to Bruce's Rocky, only a little bit younger and able to do more.

Last edited:

And they'd tell you it's a 12 issue story of a Batman character study with a tough Robin and a happy Batman. ;) Literally 1 day after Batman "died" they assured it wasn't anything that would stay.

Like it or not but the sales and fans are loving Batman & Robin, and Bruce is set to make his comeback in 2010. Dan Didio already confirmed it.

the only thing that interests me here is the talent attached. but honestly, everything else sounds rather boring. do we really need ANOTHER batman origin/character rehash? it just seems pointless to me. and having some brute ass kicking alfred is stupid.

No really this is about Batman's early years. The origin is going to be done thru flashbacks like in Burton's Batman but this is about a novice Batman in a modernized world with reinvented characters that range from simply modernizations to re-inventions. :) I think alot of people seemt o think these OGNs are just retells of the origin, but there really about the first years just like "The man who laughs", "the long halloween" and so forth are. :)

I love Batman's early years, I will try pick this up.

Not sure how i feel about this. Art looks cool, i'm a fan of Gary Frank's Superman stuff. It'll be interesting for sure, but I don't know. All i know is that this multiverse stuff is dumb. We'll see how my opinion changes as I hear more about this. On the other hand, they're bringing the oval back! YES!!

No really this is about Batman's early years. The origin is going to be done thru flashbacks like in Burton's Batman but this is about a novice Batman in a modernized world with reinvented characters that range from simply modernizations to re-inventions. :) I think alot of people seemt o think these OGNs are just retells of the origin, but there really about the first years just like "The man who laughs", "the long halloween" and so forth are. :)

i know its not just about the origins, but its everything you just described that sounds pointless and boring. yeah, i dig stories about the early years. but "re-inventions", "re-imaginings", and "modernizing" all sounds stupid.

Alfred reminds me more of Sam Elliot than anybody else. The people that thought bringing the multiverse back sucked could eat a fat one now ha ha :woot: we finally got ultimate DC and in graphic novel form at that. That costume is awesome too love it especially since I'm an oval guy. I'm more hyped for the Superman one cause I'm indifferent on Johns writing on Batman serviceable but nothing special and JMS has wanted to write Supes forever. I hope Aquaman is next.

It's made for a lot of great comics and I also got my excellent Detective Comics feat. Batwoman & The Question run because of it. If you want Bruce back either read Batman: Confidential or just wait for this it was made for people who aren't into the canon anymore.

I am looking forward to this. I like how Batman does have an ultimate look and you can see the eyes as well. Some how the emblem kind of reminds me a bit of Batman 89 for some reason. Alfred looks awesome. I can't wait to see other characters in the Batman: Earth One universe.

Geoff Johns and Gary Frank doing a series of Ultimate Batman graphic novels with unlimited creative freedom? Sweet merciful Christ, yes. It is not possible for this to be more excellent.

At a convention panel in August, I offered Didio twenty bucks to put Geoff Johns on a Batman book, haha. Maybe I'll mail it to him now with a "Thank You" note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogmanyoyo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"