Welcome to Earth One!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Morrison's Action origin is like 7 billion times better than Superman EO. :o
To each it's own while I think Morrison is doing a great job and really I could go either way on the origin I just prefer Earth One. I like Shane Davis artwork for the book and I like the fact Martha is still alive and I like how the Daily Planet staff were introduced and written and I like how they explored Clark trying to find his place. It actually showed him becoming Superman not just once he reached a certain age he popped on a suit and started helping people it showed the struggle it took for him to become that hero. Once again I think Morrison is doing an amazing job but I just prefer Earth One. And looking at the art for Volume 2 makes me wish that this was the ongoing Superman we see in the comics even more so or at least I wish they used their designs.

I am just glad they are using Parasite, instead of Zod or Luthor.

I am just glad they are using Parasite, instead of Zod or Luthor.
I think they should at least introduce Lex in this volume. You don't have to make him the main villain but at least show him or make him the guy pulling the strings here.

Eh, can't say I'm particularly interested in a younger Alfred. There's nothing wrong with the father/son dynamic we've seen between them for years, especially in stuff like "Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive." Giving Alfred more of a role doesn't necessarily have to mean making him 15 years younger and turning him into Sean Connery to me.

Then again, I was probably never going to buy this anyway, so my opinion's basically moot.
bah! making alfred a bigger character is the real selling point for me. plus i love batman origin stories.

Whose Batman looks like Michael Keaton?
paul gullacy

sounds pretty grimdark, bro

I'm excited to see JMS take his powers away, seems like a fresh idea
really?...really.:dry:

bah! making alfred a bigger character is the real selling point for me. plus i love batman origin stories.
I like continuity and there are plenty of in-continuity examples of Alfred playing a big role in Bruce's life. Batman: Earth One sounds like it's trying to go a step further and make Alfred some kind of badass, which I really don't need to see. Plus I'm kind of sick of origin stories in general. We've seen so many re-dos of them lately.

I have to agree with you there. If you count EO, Superman has had 4 origin stories done in the past 7 years. That's pretty ridiculous.

At the same time, I must say, I do kind of yern a retelling of Batman's origin. As good as Year One is, it's really not his whole origin. To read that, you need to go through Shaman, and a few other stories to fully flesh out Batman's beginnings.

Personally, I'd really like to see a single series that could capture all of those parts of Bruce's past into one cohesive story.

Not that I think EO will be able to do that either; you'd need about 12 issues to properly detail all of Bruce Wayne in any meaningful way.

If you're talking about gathering up all the major parts of Bruce's origin and putting into one mini-series or something, I might read that. But EO is about reinventing, not retelling. I'm not especially interested in new spins on established characters' origins.

Yeah, that's what I mean.

I agree with you about EO; absolute waste of paper.

I have to agree with you there. If you count EO, Superman has had 4 origin stories done in the past 7 years. That's pretty ridiculous.

At the same time, I must say, I do kind of yern a retelling of Batman's origin. As good as Year One is, it's really not his whole origin. To read that, you need to go through Shaman, and a few other stories to fully flesh out Batman's beginnings.

Personally, I'd really like to see a single series that could capture all of those parts of Bruce's past into one cohesive story.

Not that I think EO will be able to do that either; you'd need about 12 issues to properly detail all of Bruce Wayne in any meaningful way.

I thought this is just part one of his "year one"?

Oh no, Year One was just like the final act of Bruce's early years.

Yeah, it showed the end of young Bruce's journey of transformation. But it was really much more of a character study of Gordon. As acclaimed as Year One is, it doesn't show the whole thing.

It wasn't supposed to. It's called Batman: Year One because it's about Bruce's first year as Batman. It showed exactly what it claimed it would. The thing is, Batman is different from other heroes in that his first year as a hero isn't really his origin. His parents' death and all his training to get ready to become Batman are as much major parts of his origin as his early days in the actual costume.

I am glad at least one version of Superman, post reboot still wears what is for the most part the classic costume.

I like the idea of Earth One. I was meh on Superman: Earth One but Im willing to give the Earth One concept a try.
I just wish that they were ongoing series or at least more were released within a year

But Morrison's Action origin is like 7 billion times better than Superman EO. :o

Ugh, no it's not.

EO is pretty close to the pre-Nu52 which i like better than the Action Comics bull ****

I was hoping Davis would gets new colorist and inker for thebook, guess not.

I hate most of the colorist they pair him up with. I really like his work with Sandra Hope.

Is that who he was with in Superman/Batman?

Ugh, no it's not.

EO is pretty close to the pre-Nu52 which i like better than the Action Comics bull ****
No, EO is a talentless hackjob with no observable originality or creativity involved.

It's great if you can't decipher between actual quality and JMS just phoning in a story for a paycheck, but I'm a bit more disconcerting.

Is that who he was with in Superman/Batman?

not sure but that's who he was with on green lantern. but I think she's the inker. she did the ink on EO but not the colors.

No, EO is a talentless hackjob with no observable originality or creativity involved.

It's great if you can't decipher between actual quality and JMS just phoning in a story for a paycheck, but I'm a bit more disconcerting.

I don't like JMS, but I love Shane Davis' work and I like that it's pretty close to pre Nu52. The Nu52 just made me like EO 10x more because I can't stand this new post lawsuit Superman. The story is not strong but I like the origin that he moved to metropolis at a younger age and that he was never Superboy.

You can say the same with AC but I mean it's the pre-Nu52 with the moving to Metropolis at a younger age thing. Also I hate that Morrison brought in other Earths already this early into the reboot just so he can up sell Multiversity.

I pretty much hate all in continuity Morrison Superman stuff.

I'm sorry but I have to say EO IMO is much better than Action Comics origin in both art and story. EO to me is Superman set in the real world. People have a problem with Superman not just outright saying alright I'm 21 now time to be Superman. I for one liked that it didn't go this route and he had to struggle with becoming this hero and accept the fact that if he did take this path he may always be alone. That worked well for the story and I liked that despite all the things he could do he still settled on being a reporter and found a way to still be Clark Kent. I know some people may have hated the story (CCON) but to me it was well written and very good.

But neither did the Action Comics Superman decide to just go superhero when he turned 21, both we're influenced by their father's, with Action Comics also having the League of Super-Heroes and Jonathan's buddy at Daily Star.

EO's Superman just wanted a chillax life and helping the world on events they can't help themselves, which is simply defined by his own terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"