BCS Top 16 Playoff

StorminNorman

Avenger
Reaction score
Now with Public Poll!

The idea is the same: Who would win a 16 team playoff!

It should be an eight team playoff... they should take all conference winners finishing in the top 12 of the final rankings... and the remainder should be At-Large teams... no more than two per conference... that way you won't have an 9-3/8-4 ACC/Big East winner getting in... they should keep all the Bowls so the University Presidents can be happy. I'd also try to push back the bowls and get the final four started on New Year's day. And cut some of these ridiculous bowls that no one is watching this week to clear room on the scheduling.

I wouldn't do a cap on teams per conference. If three of the best teams are from, say, the SEC one season, it'd be unfair to leave one of them out for an arbitrary reason like that.

LSU has a damn strong football team...let 'er rip!

wow great thread...i have no clue who would win but i will make a guess

I wouldn't do a cap on teams per conference. If three of the best teams are from, say, the SEC one season, it'd be unfair to leave one of them out for an arbitrary reason like that.

You rarely have three two loss teams in the same conference... I mean an example this year is the big 12... but obviously Missouri would be getting in over Kansas by the head to head victory... I think Hawaii would deservingly slip into that eigth slot... but the argument for Kansas is legitimate... how can you leave a one loss team out? I think thats just as much controversy as LSU #2 over a USC or OU... people will still scratch their heads over who is eight and nine... or 4 and 5... thats why a playoff doesn't solve everything... unless they scrap it all and just go with the top 16 as this thread suggests.

I still like an eight team format... final four the 3rd weekend of January... Final a week before the Superbowl... but that probably extends the season WAY TOO long and those students need time off I would think. A sixteen team playoff only works if its immediately after the season, which would end the first week of January... but the kids have finals going on at that time... don't be inconsiderate to that fact. March Madness doesn't extend into May and College Bball students have bigger dropput rates that football players I believe. They will never make that happen.

It's tough to say who would win a playoff, there are alot of very good teams, like Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, West Virginia and USC , all of whom I believe, have a legit chance to win.

You rarely have three two loss teams in the same conference... I mean an example this year is the big 12... but obviously Missouri would be getting in over Kansas by the head to head victory... I think Hawaii would deservingly slip into that eigth slot... but the argument for Kansas is legitimate... how can you leave a one loss team out? I think thats just as much controversy as LSU #2 over a USC or OU... people will still scratch their heads over who is eight and nine... or 4 and 5... thats why a playoff doesn't solve everything... unless they scrap it all and just go with the top 16 as this thread suggests.

I still like an eight team format... final four the 3rd weekend of January... Final a week before the Superbowl... but that probably extends the season WAY TOO long and those students need time off I would think. A sixteen team playoff only works if its immediately after the season, which would end the first week of January... but the kids have finals going on at that time... don't be inconsiderate to that fact. March Madness doesn't extend into May and College Bball students have bigger dropput rates that football players I believe. They will never make that happen.

How can you leave a one loss team out? Have you seen their schedule? Easily. Their schedule (minus Missouri) < Hawaii

It's tough to say who would win a playoff, there are alot of very good teams, like Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, West Virginia and USC , all of whom I believe, have a legit chance to win.

Georgia > LSU

Even if I wasnt a Georgia fanboy, you can't look at the end of the regular season and come to any other conclusion.

How can you leave a one loss team out? Have you seen their schedule? Easily. Their schedule (minus Missouri) < Hawaii

Still... it would be tight... the same controversy could be generated... we see it year in and year out... not just with who's 1 and who's 2... remember how Cal got robbed of a Rose Bowl bid in favor of Texas in 05? There was your classic 4/5 controversy. There just aren't any fair tie breakers you can use other than strength of schedule and the polls. The difference between 4/5 or 8/9 is a lot more controversial than 65/66 in the NCAA Tourney... someone will always get shafted even when both teams seem to be equal in every category. But most years there is a clear cut top 8 so it isn't a problem... its the best solution to what we have now. Top 16 is just too many teams.

A 16 team playoff would work. 11 spots would go to the winner of each conference in Division 1 football. Then the other 5 spots would be like a wild-card deal for the deserving non-conference teams (if there are any for that year) and runners up in the conferences. I've yet to work out how the conference runners up would fight it out.

16 teams in a playoff means 15 games in a month.

Oklahoma would win, easily, with the way they've played at the end of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"