'Beef' (A24/Netflix)

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
Beef is an American comedy drama television series created by Lee Sung Jin for Netflix. It stars Steven Yeun and Ali Wong as two people whose involvement in a road rage incident begin to consume their lives. Appearing in supporting roles are Joseph Lee, Young Mazino, David Choe, and Patti Yasutake

Almost done watching it, and this is easily (imo) one of the best original series Netflix has done in quite sometime

Last edited:
tumblr_pi1zd77DZP1qczbido2_r1_540.gifv

tumblr_pi1zd77DZP1qczbido4_r1_540.gifv

tumblr_pi1zd77DZP1qczbido8_r1_540.gifv

I just finished it last night and it’s a great story. Funny, heartbreaking, frustrating, farfetched but real all at once.

Without spoilers Episode 9 had me like
37B30ED8-1106-409F-80D9-14CDD9CE27EE.gif

Wong and Yeun both deserve Emmys for this.

Huh... With the way it ended, I was thinking it was go for another season at the very least.

I did like this and really enjoyed it despite problems I had w some wonky plotting, pacing and editing in the middle and towards the end and just not liking the Paul character very much. He's plugged in and pulled out of the story at times that sometimes feel overly convenient.

It's funny cause there's contrivances all throughout that I found jarring, but that kinda plays into the theme of one decision or interaction altering your life course, and then that one thing can set off more decisions and interactions that set "everything" right or make it worse. It tries to juggle a lot of heavy themes and ideas and I think it lands well enough, but some much better than others.

Starts and ends very strong though. Yeun and Wong are fantastic. Choe was also a fun addition.

Beef Showrunner Confirmed 3-Season Plan for Netflix Dramedy

It has been nearly a week since Beef debuted its 10-episode first season, and now showrunner Lee Sung-jin has opened up about the future of the dark comedy-drama. Speaking with RollingStone, Lee confirmed he has mapped out a three-season plan for the Steven Yeun and Ali Wong-led series despite not yet receiving an official renewal order.

“I wanted it to have a conclusive feel just in case,” Lee said. “But there are a lot of ideas on my end to keep this story going. I think should we be blessed with a Season 2, there’s a lot of ways for Danny and Amy to continue. I have one really big general idea that I can’t really say yet, but I have three seasons mapped out in my head currently.”

This was awesome and whoever involved that came up with the song choices throughout this show deserves a serious pay raise, because they have some great taste in music. So many classic late 90's/early 2000's songs that I probably haven't heard in like 15-20 years at the most which was nostalgic asf.

This show was AMAZING. It’s the best work Yuen and Wong have ever done (at least that I’ve seen) and it went places that I really didn’t expect it to go. If you told me after the first episode that
this show would end with Maria Bello getting cut in half with a panic room door and another guy getting shot in the head wearing a Dick Cheney mask, I wouldn’t have believed it.
Just insane.

Also, big shout out to the soundtrack. I’m a sucker for 90s rock and this show didn’t disappoint. That sex scene set to Folk Implosion’s Natural One was hot, and that awesome needle drop of Smashing Pumpkins’ Mayonaise (my all-time favorite song) in the last episode was just the chef’s kiss. Absolute perfection.

10/10

If they do continue on, I would hope it's an anthology with a different cast. If not, the season 1 beef is just gonna drag. But then again there are a few new beefs not fully addressed like the college thing between the brothers.

We'll see I guess.

If they do continue with the same characters they gotta introduce a new element kinda like The End of the F***in World.

If they do continue on, I would hope it's an anthology with a different cast. If not, the season 1 beef is just gonna drag. But then again there are a few new beefs not fully addressed like the college thing between the brothers.

We'll see I guess.

Yeah I feel like
the beef between Amy and Danny is mostly resolved now but there are others. Danny’s brother hates him now and his cousin likely wants to kill him. And Amy likely has some trouble coming her way because Isaac will likely tell the cops that she was the one who put him up to the robbery, which resulted in Jordan’s death. And Naomi will probably be out for Amy’s head for getting her wife killed (even though she actually did that) and (possibly) because Jordan had her eye on Amy. There are a lot of places they could go.

I just don’t know where you go from here. Both of them, especially Danny, should probably be in jail for a long time. Amy basically loses everything: prestige, money, family.

Danny really disappointed me the most in this whole story. He had so many opportunities to make things right and then he did what he did to Paul, he was just grimey.

I was like
giphy.gif

Steven Yuen was just phenomenal in the role. She really hope Marvel doesn’t waste him in Thunderbolts

Steven Yuen was just phenomenal in the role. She really hope Marvel doesn’t waste him in Thunderbolts
Honestly after learning that Yuen, Jake Schreier (directed 6 episodes of Beef) and Lee Sun Jin (creator/writer) are all involved in Thunderbolts my expectations have gone up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"