Ben Mendelsohn is Talos the Tamer

“Your foster mother is dead.”

Love that scene. What a movie!

ben-mendelsohn.jpg

Ben Mendelsohn thinks the evil Skrulls in 'Captain Marvel' are just ‘misunderstood’

Guess we all figured Ben was a villain, no surprises there. But nice to have the role confirmed.

Skrulls are Australians, though? What the hell? That's an...odd choice. :hehe: Wonder if it's just him, or they've hired his countrymen for all the random goons too? Sounds like it'll be pretty funny.

"Bullfrogs? Thet's an odd nayme. Oid-a called 'em Chuzzwazzas." Etc.

Last edited:
I guess that Skrull in the picture above is Talos?

Seems to be. Hard to see much of Mendelsohn in there, but looks a little like him around the eyes. Would have to figure they'd put him front-and-center in the first promo shot of them like that, if he's indeed the prime "character" Skrull we'll be seeing.

Seems to be. Hard to see much of Mendelsohn in there, but looks a little like him around the eyes. Would have to figure they'd put him front-and-center in the first promo shot of them like that, if he's indeed the prime "character" Skrull we'll be seeing.
Yeah, that’s what I was assuming. Any resembleance is pretty subtle if so. But at least he’s the best looking of the ones in the shot.

Oh my gosh that interview was incredible! I can’t believe all the skrulls have Aussie accents. I would love it if when they see star force the skrulls can be like

“Look what we got here lads! Couppla showgurrrls”

I feel like Mendelsohn is going to become the Michael Shannon of the mcu. Everyone loves the cool guy punk take on his super villain for what he says outside of the marvel maybe as much if not more as what he says inside it

"Crikey dingo digeridoo, the Kree stoolle oouuaahh baaaaaybieeeeees!"

"Thet's not a lazaaahh gun, THIS is a lazaaah gun!"

Bring. It. On.

Was watching him in that crime thriller flick with Brad Pitt not so long ago, could barely understand a word out of the guy's mouth. :D Even as someone who lived down there for 3 years during college. Granted, pretty much every other word he spoke was "****" or "****in'" (as is pretty much culturally encouraged down there), but still. Would be awesome to have every Skrull, not just Mendelsohn, talk like that for random reasons. Kronans are Maori New Zealanders, Skrulls are the most redneck-y of Australians, 'cause reasons.

Sounds sweet.

[youtube]

Last edited:
It would be fun to keep that theme actually. They should get a legendary Aussie actress to play Veranke. Here are some choices

Sigrid Thornton. Our best actress. Can do steely and an American accent and even played Judy Garland!

Gina Riley. Can Aussie up the accent but also play posh. Would give a fun Barry Humphris as the king of the orc type performance

Jacque weaver. Nominated for an Oscar but not recognisable enough that she wouldn’t be able to slip into the role. Can play a mother hen and a mother bear just as easily as each other. Switching from one to the other would make veranke extra scary

'Legendary'? :oldrazz: Weaver aside, they're "who?"s to me. Pretty sure Weaver's only known internationally for that one Russell movie anyway.

They’re legendary here. And that’s a good thing because you can get a quality actress who can slip into the role super easily without being distracting by being too well known.

If you’ve seen them in action you would know how legendary they are

a quick shot of talos in the trailer but no mendelsohn in a trailer is a wtf!

Why? a) He's not some huge-name actor, b) it's a teaser, c) there's probably a couple of villains here.

Sure we'll get something substantial in the full trailer, this is just making sure an unknown (to Joe/Jane Average) character is the focus in her own promo. The Carol Show with a little familiar Fury for good measure.

Seems they're waiting to show the Skrulls' shape-shifting ability in the next trailer so not surprised they didn't show much of them or Mendolsohn.

It would be fun to see the skrulls shapeshift some weapons like cutting implements or wings etc. but it was just a teaser. Main course is coming up

Talos is looking incredible

It’s amazing how they were able to save so much of his face so he can still emote. He looks like he could even blush!

Definitely giving me oddworld: abe’s Oddysey vibes. Which I actually kind of like because that was a 90s game

Talos is looking incredible

It’s amazing how they were able to save so much of his face so he can still emote. He looks like he could even blush!

This could be a good starting point for MCU Green Goblin

Yep, for sure. Would have to differentiate it enough for Joe & Jane Average to not confuse the two, but yep, we've definitely gotta go classic for MCU Goblin. Classic look, classic practical effects alike. Something really close to that original concept for the Dafoe take.

wow..... Mendelsohn seems to be getting universal praise for his portrayal. Can't wait to see Talos on the big screen.

Mendelsohn is an awesome actor. Was awesome in Dark Knight rises and rogue 1. So its no wonder he is getting praised in CM.

"It's kinda like, kinda like..." Oh, Mendelsohn. :p

He shouldn't have even altered his voice at all for the movie, just go with that hilarious nasally voice and lisp of his speaking voice. :funny: Oh well, at least he kept the Crocodile Hunter accent. Still pretty curious to see the rest of the supporting Skrulls, it'd be awesomely funny if they're all Australians the way Asgardians are all Shakespearian Brits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"