Comics Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider (April 2017)

It's irrational to expect Slott to suddenly change how he treats characters just for your favorite (Ben).

He's always been criticized for serving story over character and it's only gotten worse since the launch of vol. 3 (see: Black Cat, Electro, Peter, Tony Stark, MJ, Ben, etc. etc.). I get your frustrations, I definitely share them--I just don't see them as unexpected. At all.

No, I expect them. It is just frustrating.
He's almost Bendis-level at this point...

No, I expect them. It is just frustrating.
He's almost Bendis-level at this point...

It really does suck. Whoever comes onto ASM next really needs to be a breath of fresh air, with a much more character-based approach IMO.

View attachment 9137

BEN REILLY: SCARLET SPIDER #2
PETER DAVID (w) • MARK BAGLEY (a/C)
Variant Cover by PATRICK BROWN
• The Scarlet Spider is back and madder than ever!
• Ben Reilly, after his plan to take over the world was foiled, is trying something new.
• You won’t believe what you read here!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

I thought he would revert to the iconic 90's blue hoodie look by the next issue? Or this just cover art?! Hmmm 🤔

I don't really like the new costume vs. the old, but it looks SO MUCH BETTER without that mouth.

well then...
While still despicable, at least he's better written than when slot wrote him...

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really liking how they're approaching Ben.

Him being neutral, essentially, to his good side and bad side is really cool and how he's wanting to break away from being Peter's clone yet still finding himself stuck (i.e. saving the redhead, having his own 'Aunt', etc.) is gonna be fun to explore further.

I thought the classic Scarlet costume was gonna be back in issue 5 or 6...
The issue said the next one...

Forgot to post my thoughts here but once again I really like this direction. I'll be rushing to buy this once its out on TPB.

Haven't read the latest issues, please tell me they dropped that stupid Aunt June plotline?

I can't believe we are at issue 4 already!
I feel like the book only just launched!

I read the book. #7 was the best issue so far, Ben is on his path to redemption now and not behaving like a complete jerk anymore.
Next week #8 will be available already. :db:

This really felt like the old Ben was back.
He'd sacrifice himself for everyone else, even those that want to see him dead.

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #18
J. Jonah Jameson did the same thing...
Told Scorpion to kill him when given the option of death between John and Marla.

Alright, I skimmed issue 8 and liked what I saw with Ben and Kaine both. I've not really read Spider-Man since OMD. Could someone give me some essential reading list for the two of them? It doesn't have to be EVERYTHING (as I know Kaine's been back for a while) but enough to at least understand what's going on with the two characters.

Alright, I skimmed issue 8 and liked what I saw with Ben and Kaine both. I've not really read Spider-Man since OMD. Could someone give me some essential reading list for the two of them? It doesn't have to be EVERYTHING (as I know Kaine's been back for a while) but enough to at least understand what's going on with the two characters.
I'd probably put essential as Grim Hunt, Spider Island, and Clone Conspiracy.

Grim Hunt can be somewhat skipped, since it basically serves to introduce how Kaine shows up in Spider Island, but for completionism, that's there.

Spider Island leads directly into Kaine's Scarlet Spider series. Sticking around for a couple of issues to see how his personality changed as well as his supporting cast is probably a nice idea.

Clone Conspiracy goes without saying since it reintroduced Ben to the fold, but Kaine's whereabouts at the beginning of CC are directly caused by Spiderverse. However, it does get explained in the CC Amazing Spider-Man tie-ins so I think you can also skip Spiderverse.

Can I just read the Clone Conspiracy mini or do I need to read the Amazing Spider-Man tie-ins along with it?

Can I just read the Clone Conspiracy mini or do I need to read the Amazing Spider-Man tie-ins along with it?
As far as getting background on Kaine and Ben goes, you really only need to read Kaine's own backstory issue and follow with Ben's backstory issue. Unfortunately, I don't remember the issue #'s offhand, but that's basically the only two you'd need. The others are ancillary to the arc itself, though there's a second tie-in focused entirely on Ben.

Clone Conspiracy Omega recaps said final tie-in that established Ben's starting status quo for his monthly, so I'd say you can skip that one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"