Best Animated Batman Movie ?

Micromind

Avenger
Reaction score
I think we have had many good animated movies, which one is the best, since in a poll we cannot rate the movie (on a scale of 1 to 10) you rate in the posts.

Last edited:
Here are my ratings -

Batman: Year One- 6/10

Batman: Under The Red Hood-6.5/10

Batman: Gotham Knight-6.5/10

Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm-7/10

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker-6/10

Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub Zero-5/10

Batman Beyond Return of the Joker - 9.5/10

Batman Mask of the Phantasm - 9/10

Batman Under the Redhood - 8.5/10

Batman Year One - 7.5/10

Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub Zero - 7/10

Batman Mystery of Batwoman - 6.5/10

Batman Gotham Knights - 6/10

Last edited:
Batman Beyond: Return of The Joker
8/10

Last edited:
1. Under The Red Hood - 9/10
2. Return of the Joker - 8/10
3. Mask of the Phantasm - 7/10
4. Year One - 7/10
5. Mystery of the Batwoman - 5/10
6. Sub-Zero - 4/10

Mask of the Phantasm. Not only the best animated Batman film but also much better than any film from the old franchise.
I also really enjoyed Under the Red Hood and the directors cut of Return of the Joker. The rest are all aright. Sub-Zero was good in that pretty much anything that stemmed from the animated series is good, but it wasn't great, and neither was Year One, which is one of my favorite Batman stories but didn't translate well on the screen. And I ended up being shockingly disappointed by most of Bryan Cranston's performance, which I never expected.

Mask of the Phantasm. Not only the best animated Batman film but also better than any film from the whole franchise.

Fixed. Though I will say within context anyway that scene that closes out Under the Red Hood is my favorite scene of any Batman movie in terms of sheer emotion. That was very well executed.

I love Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker. My favorite,although Mask of the Phantasm is wonderful too. All the rest ranged from decent to "eh."

Based only on the films I've actually seen:

1. Under the Red Hood
2. Mask of the Phantasm
3. Sub-Zero
4. Year One

I disagree.

While MOTP is an extremely well done film, I've never been too crazy about it's story. It was very well done and very intricate, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not a big fan of having an entire Batman movie centered around Bruce Wayne, and a relationship of his. Not that I wouldn't want that explored in some way, but I've always preferred to have those types of storylines play out as subplots.

I much rather prefer the interpretations of Batman that play off as more of a crime drama than anything, or feature more...psychotic main villains. Which is why I personally will always prefer Batman, BB, TDK, Under the Red Hood, etc. to MOTP.

Under the Red Hood is just an awesome movie and i also loved Mask of the Phantasm since i was 12 when i saw it in theaters on Christmas night the year it came out and Sub-Zero was a unique refreshing film that washed away the taste of Batman and Robin.

Last edited:
I think I'll go with Mask of the Phantasm. Under the Red Hood is pretty close, but it does feel kindof derivative of MotP's story, and in general, I don't feel like these recent DC animated movies have enough time and effort put into them. Maybe it's just animation in general these days, looking too clean and computery. I did appreciate that the characters were more realistically proportioned though, but it didn't have the moodiness of MotP and the original Fox series. I think DC animation has lacked atmosphere since Justice League really.

I disagree.

While MOTP is an extremely well done film, I've never been too crazy about it's story. It was very well done and very intricate, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not a big fan of having an entire Batman movie centered around Bruce Wayne, and a relationship of his. Not that I wouldn't want that explored in some way, but I've always preferred to have those types of storylines play out as subplots.

I much rather prefer the interpretations of Batman that play off as more of a crime drama than anything, or feature more...psychotic main villains. Which is why I personally will always prefer Batman, BB, TDK, Under the Red Hood, etc. to MOTP.

I am and I don't mind if a relationship is also used to anchor his arc as long as it's done properly (also why I enjoy Batman Returns a lot). Though I will say that I could also fully understand your POV.

It's pretty easy to say that for most people the more compelling thing about Batman are his world itself and the whackos and sleeze balls that occupy it. There is a reason The Joker is so popular & outside of MoTP proves to be the only thing you need to make a Batman flick make a yachtload of cash.

For me though MoTP due mainly to Kevin Conroy's performance (voice acting is acting in terms of emotional range of expression as much as stage or live action film acting) is just the standard. It has the most alive and human Bruce Wayne/Batman depiction I've ever seen in media outside the comic books. His arc and everything used to push it forward is to me much more interesting than the way similar tropes were used in BB.

I definitely see your point. All of the Bruce Wayne stuff is gold. It's just, every time I watch it, I find myself getting a little bored, and just wanting more out of the movie than what's there.

I think I'll go with Mask of the Phantasm. Under the Red Hood is pretty close, but it does feel kindof derivative of MotP's story, and in general, I don't feel like these recent DC animated movies have enough time and effort put into them. Maybe it's just animation in general these days, looking too clean and computery. I did appreciate that the characters were more realistically proportioned though, but it didn't have the moodiness of MotP and the original Fox series. I think DC animation has lacked atmosphere since Justice League really.

Totally agree. Batman Beyond was the last DC animated series that didn't look incredibly sterile. Once Justice League started, the characters seemed stiff, the backgrounds looked bland, and the vehicles were out of place because they were CGI.

Totally agree. Batman Beyond was the last DC animated series that didn't look incredibly sterile. Once Justice League started, the characters seemed stiff, the backgrounds looked bland, and the vehicles were out of place because they were CGI.
Under The Red Hood didn't seem too horribly sterile.

But overall, I agree. One of the best things about BTAS was that even the animation of it had a kind of retro-deteriorated vibe going for it.

Under The Red Hood didn't seem too horribly sterile.

But overall, I agree. One of the best things about BTAS was that even the animation of it had a kind of retro-deteriorated vibe going for it.

I still need to see Under the Red Hood and Year one. But yea, part of the reason I love BTAS is because it's not crisp and pretty.

Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm is the best animated Batman movie ever.

I still need to see Under the Red Hood and Year one. But yea, part of the reason I love BTAS is because it's not crisp and pretty.
Year One's animation looks like blurry anime for some reason.

Haven't seen Year 1 yet so I won't vote. You guys don't seem to be too crazy about it.

But I think Red Hood is my favorite. Phantasm is a close second.

'Mask of the Phantasm' is my favourite. Followed by 'Under the Red Hood' and 'Return of the Joker'. Those three are pretty darn good. I'm not as passionate with the others.

"Mask of the Phantasm" followed by "Under The Red Hood". The other movies are pretty much forgetabble.

Tough call between Red Hood and Phantasm, but Phantasm is one I have a soft spot for since it was the first Batman movie I saw in theaters and it has aged, in my opinion, extremely well.

Mask of the Phantasm and Under the Red Hood for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"