Best Fighter In Game of Thrones?

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score

With all the great swordsmen and women (can't leave out Brienne & Arya) that the show has given us throughout the years and seasons I thought it would be cool for us to discuss and see who between us we think stands out as the greatest fighter in the history of the show.

I haven't read the books so I don't know if explicitly says who is the best is that but I thought the tv show has been different enough that it would make more an interesting discussion.

I will compile a list of who I think the best contenders are you can pick the top 3 you think should be on it. (If I have forgotten someone you think should make the cut just ask me to add them). Will give it a couple weeks and then see who's going to take gold, silver and bronze for the best fighter.

I went with Arthur Dayne, Oberyn and Brienne. I know Arya gave Brienne a good fight but that was so ridiculous I couldn't believe people took it seriously. I know size isn't the only thing that matters but the idea that someone 5'0" could go up against Brienne, while wielding a toothpick sword was laughable.

I went with Arthur Dayne, Oberyn and Brienne. I know Arya gave Brienne a good fight but that was so ridiculous I couldn't believe people took it seriously. I know size isn't the only thing that matters but the idea that someone 5'0" could go up against Brienne, while wielding a toothpick sword was laughable.

Nice I like your reasoning we also sort of seen that although offensively (especially if she gets a sneak attack) Arya might be the most dangerous but she's also a bit of a glass cannon. Brienne or damn near anyone else on this list that can land one good punch could easily knock her out or leave her dazed enough to get the final blow in.

My 3 will be:

1. Oberyn Martell - He looked to have the Mountain beat and it was really only his own arrogance that led to demise.

2. Arthur Dayne - Slightly odd reasoning for this with such little screen time but he trained Jamie (who I know is meant to be one of the best) he also would have killed Ned Stark with ease if not for Howland Reed stabbing him from behind. Similarly I feel like Ned Stark would have beaten Jamie in their first duel if not for interference. So this means he's likely better than both Ned & Jamie.

3. Jon Snow - Final pick is a hard one but Jon's just had so much experience now that I feel he's a good bet. He's fought everyone from Men, Wildlings, White Walkers, White Walker Generals and he's pretty much beaten anyone who has stood in his way.

Well, clearly it is Arya. She aced the Night King!

Nice I like your reasoning we also sort of seen that although offensively (especially if she gets a sneak attack) Arya might be the most dangerous but she's also a bit of a glass cannon. Brienne or damn near anyone else on this list that can land one good punch could easily knock her out or leave her dazed enough to get the final blow in.

My 3 will be:

1. Oberyn Martell - He looked to have the Mountain beat and it was really only his own arrogance that led to demise.

2. Arthur Dayne - Slightly odd reasoning for this with such little screen time but he trained Jamie (who I know is meant to be one of the best) he also would have killed Ned Stark with ease if not for Howland Reed stabbing him from behind. Similarly I feel like Ned Stark would have beaten Jamie in their first duel if not for interference. So this means he's likely better than both Ned & Jamie.

3. Jon Snow - Final pick is a hard one but Jon's just had so much experience now that I feel he's a good bet. He's fought everyone from Men, Wildlings, White Walkers, White Walker Generals and he's pretty much beaten anyone who has stood in his way.

Yeah, I agree with all of these. Oberyn totally had the Mountain down for the count but like you said, his arrogance doomed him. And yeah, Dayne was probably the best swordsman in Westeros. Did Barristan also say something about him being amazing, or am I remembering that wrong?

And yeah, I thought about Jon too; I wasn't totally sold on him being one of the best until the Battle of the Bastards, where he was just taking out people left and right and has done so in all battles since. Even in the Battle of Winterfell, where he was poorly utilized, he still had a pretty badass moment when he took on like 100 zombies. But I still think Dayne, Oberyn and Brienne would probably get the better of him in single combat.

Here's how I'm gonna rank it based on split of the moment reaction...

Brienne, Arya, Aurthur Dayne, Khal Drago, Oberyn, Jaime before the hand cut, Jon Snow, Gregor Clegane, The Mountain, Bronn, Daario Naharis, Ned Stark, Jorah Mormont

Last edited:
I went with Barristan Selmy, The Hound and Arthur Dayne.

Arthur Dayne took on multiple people at one time, and it took a cowardly stab to the back of the neck to kill him. Either way, I was impressed with his speed and strength, and I think he would be a formidable opponent against anyone on a one on one basis.

Barristan Selmy, we seen how he cuts down people at his elderly age, I can just imagine what he was like in his youth. The show does not do him justice, but if the prequels have him, I have a feeling we will see what he is capable of.

The Hound. He is the only one who I think can go toe to toe with the Mountain, and not resort to tricks to do it. I also don't count Brienne beating him as a legit fight because he was malnourished, as Arya was saying, he was getting slow, which means he was probably fighting off an infection from the bite he sustained. Don't forget, it was infection that was the doom of the great Khal Drogo, and we know he was a beast when it came to fighting.

Barristan and Arthur Dayne are the two best in their day...

But currently, it has to be Brianne. She beat the Hound, the Tyrell kid AND Jaime (granted in handcuffs, but did so easily) in single combat. No one else has that record on the show.

Bronn, he is the smartest, not even fighting when he would lose. What good is a dead fighter?

I don’t really want to include Dayne as he was only in a flashback from a different time. That said I think Oberyn Martell and Khal Drogo are the best fighters.

Barristan and Arthur Dayne are the two best in their day...

But currently, it has to be Brianne. She beat the Hound, the Tyrell kid AND Jaime (granted in handcuffs, but did so easily) in single combat. No one else has that record on the show.
Loras isn't really proven to be a good fighter in the show. And when Brienne took on Jaime and Hound, both men were at a disadvantage. Jaime was malnourished and in restraints, and the Hound was malnourished and fighting off an infection which can slow you down. I highly doubt she could beat either in their prime.

Loras isn't really proven to be a good fighter in the show. And when Brienne took on Jaime and Hound, both men were at a disadvantage. Jaime was malnourished and in restraints, and the Hound was malnourished and fighting off an infection which can slow you down. I highly doubt she could beat either in their prime.

I don't feel the Jaime in the show is portrayed anywhere near as skilled as he is in the books though, save for that the off-screen desperate attack on Robb when he's captured in the Whispering Wood. He's supposed to be one of the few, if not the only one, of today who approaches the skill of the likes of Arthur Dayne and Barristan Selmy. As the show has been it wouldn't have surprised me if they had Brienne beat him in a normal situation as well, as she does seem to rank a bit higher in the show. In the books Brienne is good, but not someone who could hope to best Jaime or Sandor in a fair fight.

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for Drogo. Him beating a skilled Dothraki warrior without even using a weapon is one of the best feats. To round out the 3 I'd pick Oberyn Martell and, the top guy, Arthur Dayne.

Loras beat the Mountain in the joust. He was said to be a great fighter in the show.

I don't feel the Jaime in the show is portrayed anywhere near as skilled as he is in the books though, save for that the off-screen desperate attack on Robb when he's captured in the Whispering Wood. He's supposed to be one of the few, if not the only one, of today who approaches the skill of the likes of Arthur Dayne and Barristan Selmy. As the show has been it wouldn't have surprised me if they had Brienne beat him in a normal situation as well, as she does seem to rank a bit higher in the show. In the books Brienne is good, but not someone who could hope to best Jaime or Sandor in a fair fight.

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for Drogo. Him beating a skilled Dothraki warrior without even using a weapon is one of the best feats. To round out the 3 I'd pick Oberyn Martell and, the top guy, Arthur Dayne.
You are not wrong about the TV show Jaime. Ned Stark did say, he picked his opponents wisely. So, you may be on to something that the show version could be taken out by Brienne. And you are probably right about Drogo, it's probably why he had to die early on because he would have been unstoppable once they got to Westeros, but I still think he would have gotten too cocky with the Mountain and would have lost. It's why I have the Hound so far up, because he has had two fights where he was holding up pretty well if it weren't for unnatural circumstances.

Loras beat the Mountain in the joust. He was said to be a great fighter in the show.
He only beat him because his mare was in heat and was distracting Gregor's stallion. The show made that quite clear. But the second the Mountain was dueling Loras one on one, the boy didn't stand a chance and was actually saved by the Hound. This is not only in the show, but the books as well.

LOL, it was also because it was Finn Jones. If you've seen Iron Fist, you know he can't fight. :D

Early standings:

1. Brienne & Arthur Dayne are tied in first place on 5 votes
  2. The Red Viper Oberyn Martell takes second place on 4 votes
  3. Third is still anyone's to play for as Selmy, The Hound and Jamie Lannister are on 2 votes each

Based on what the show has given us you can't really see past Arya and Greyworm. This season alone they've racked up some serious scalps and body counts and most impressive of all....have survived somehow.

When the show actually made sense I would have gone with Oberyn; it's actually striking how easily he had the Mountain beat only for his own stupidity.

With a sword: Arthur Dayne
With a Spear: The Red Viper
Hand to hand: The Mountain

All-around warrior: Arya

With a sword: Arthur Dayne
With a Spear: The Red Viper
Hand to hand: The Mountain

All-around warrior: Arya
I would amend with a sword to Barristan, *Arthur Dane w/ the sword of the morning. GRRM has said they’re both essentially the best swordsmen, and that Dayne’s weapon is the only thing that might have given him an edge over Barristan.

I would amend with a sword to Barristan, *Arthur Dane w/ the sword of the morning. GRRM has said they’re both essentially the best swordsmen, and that Dayne’s weapon is the only thing that might have given him an edge over Barristan.

Since this thread is about the show I'd say that Dayne got a better showing than Barristan. Sure, we only got to see Barristan in older age, but he still went out pretty poorly. He had some positive things said about him, but so did Dayne, and them having him dual wield two longer swords (something not usually done because it's so hard it's a disadvantage for most) seems to say that he's the pinnacle.

As for Dayne's sword, it was called Dawn. The Sword of the Morning is the title of the one chosen to wield it (and there hasn't been one since Arthur). It's a greatsword in the books though, so no dual wielding there.

Since this thread is about the show I'd say that Dayne got a better showing than Barristan. Sure, we only got to see Barristan in older age, but he still went out pretty poorly. He had some positive things said about him, but so did Dayne, and them having him dual wield two longer swords (something not usually done because it's so hard it's a disadvantage for most) seems to say that he's the pinnacle.

As for Dayne's sword, it was called Dawn. The Sword of the Morning is the title of the one chosen to wield it (and there hasn't been one since Arthur). It's a greatsword in the books though, so no dual wielding there.

Ah thanks for that, I had forgotten. In the Show Dayne does get a good fight. Barristan still got a decent swan song, he took out a good number of Harpy before finally falling, but yeah, it wasn’t as much as I had been hoping to see from him.

It’s ironic that GRRM has said Dawn would give Dayne an edge, because a greatsword isn’t the best weapon for a one on one duel, but hey, it’s fantasy.

I personally am interested to see how Barristan fares going forward in the books. He’s still shown to be a very adept and dangerous warrior even at his age, and I feel we still have a few more fights with him before it’s all said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"