Morally Strongest Character In Game of Thrones?

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score
As the best fighter thread seems to be doing well I thought this one would be a good idea as well (and hopefully feature quite a different line-up)

Now I know that morality is subjective so we may all have different ideas of what makes a character morally the strongest overall but I would like to hear what you all think

So same rules as before vote for your top 3 picks (just let me know if who you'd like to choose isn't on there and I will add them to the poll, this is a much harder list to compile than best fighters lol)

I will add just a few who I think may be popular choices to get us started

Went with Ned, Jon and Brienne. The first two guys were so noble that it got them killed and Brienne's nobility probably would have gotten her killed at some point too if she wasn't such a good fighter. I almost said Davos instead of Jon, but Davos was a smuggler for most of his life and so while that's far from a heinous crime in this universe it's still illegal and thus immoral (I guess).

Varys doesn't belong on this list at all. While most of his intentions were ultimately good as far as supporting or preserving the peace and stability of the realm and the welfare of the commoners, he betrayed and conspired against rulers he deemed unworthy, and his judgement of character is very questionable!

With Illyrio, he supported a Targaryen restoration that would have brought an untamed Dothraki horde to Westeros and put Viserys on the throne, yet followed Robert's order to the letter by sending an assassin to poison Daenerys while (strangely) doing nothing to subvert that order.

Then there's his unforgettable last conversation with Ned Stark in the dungeon:

VARYS: l am the master of whisperers. My role is to be sly, obsequious and without scruples.
l'm a good actor, my lord.

NED: You want me to serve the woman who murdered my king, who butchered my men, who crippled my son?
VARYS (shouting): I WANT YOU TO SERVE THE REALM!!! TELL THE QUEEN YOU WILL CONFESS YOUR VILE TREASON, TELL YOUR SON TO LAY DOWN HIS SWORD AND PROCLAIM JOFFREY AS THE TRUE HEIR!
Cersei knows you as a man of honor. lf you give her the peace she needs, and promise to carry her secret to your grave, l believe she will allow you to take the black and live out your days on the Wall with your brother and your bastard son.
NED: You think my life is some precious thing to me? That l would trade my honor for a few more years of Of what?
VARYS: What of your daughter's life, my lord? ls that a precious thing to you?

Se1Ep9 "Baelor"

Last edited:
As the best fighter thread seems to be doing well I thought this one would be a good idea as well (and hopefully feature quite a different line-up)

Now I know that morality is subjective so we may all have different ideas of what makes a character morally the strongest overall but I would like to hear what you all think

So same rules as before vote for your top 3 picks (just let me know if who you'd like to choose isn't on there and I will add them to the poll, this is a much harder list to compile than best fighters lol)

I will add just a few who I think may be popular choices to get us started
Where is Sam and Gilly, since I think they have to be the most morally strong characters on the show.

But Davos is on the top of my list. I think he's even more moral than either Ned or Jon.

Davos is the most decent human being in the show and books. He’s an amazing person, whilst still being a realist.
Yes. I just saw a post on another forum where it shows he has lost much in his life, including his son and surrogate daughter, but he has found it in his heart to forgive those responsible for those deaths. It's true, when a world lives in an eye for an eye, then the whole world will be blind. But not Davos. He has seen the errors of his ways, and has paid for them dearly, and tries to do what is right in the end.

Davos, Ned and Brienne for me with Davos as #1. Jon has a strong moral compass, but often lacks the wisdom to utilize it well and is prone to letting his emotions and reluctance to power take precedence.

Went with Jon, Ned and Davos if I had to choose between them 3 I'll go with Davos

Ned for all his honor failed to realize How bad Robert was for that crown he should have taken it for himself

Jon too emotional rushes into dangerous situations and gets people around him hurt

Davos is all about the plan and how to execute it without hurting anyone

I don’t quite see honour and morally strong as the same thing, even though there will be a significant correlation between the 2. Ned is for eg honour-bound to execute deserters, and that is the law, but they don’t necessarily all deserve it.

Ned, Jon, and Brienne. I don't feel I know enough about Maester Luwin to make that call. Who knows what he was up to before the series. :funny:

I really like Brienne character development in this series. Ned and Jon Snow also on my honourably mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"