Far From Home Best Spider-Man Villain We've Had? (Potential Spoilers Inside)

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score

As Jake's portrayal of Mysterio seems to be getting a lot of attention I thought it would be cool to see how he stacks up against the other actors and the villains that they played throughout the history of the Spider-Man movie franchise.

Each actor has brought their own flayer and style to the role so lets find out who people think is the best villain we have seen on the big screen so far?

I apologise I haven't seen In To The Spider-Verse yet so didn't want to look up the villain in case it spoiled anything and I have excluded Tom Hardy's Venom simply because he hasn't actually faced off against Parker as of yet.

Doc Ock. He was sympathetic, motivated and a formidable opponent for the hero. He also looked amazing. Ticks all the boxes. The only box he doesn't tick for me is he doesn't change the hero's world view like Killmonger or Ledger's Joker.

Vulture also ticks a lot of boxes as well.
Green Goblin ticks a load of boxes but looks ridiculous.

It was difficult deciding between Doc Ock and Vulture but I ultimately settled on the latter. Both are complex characters that the audience can easily sympathize with, but Vulture takes things to the next level by being an "average" guy who just wants to maintain his lifestyle for his family.

Also, was Dane DeHann the villain or the Green Goblin :cwink:

Doc Ock. He was sympathetic, motivated and a formidable opponent for the hero. He also looked amazing. Ticks all the boxes. The only box he doesn't tick for me is he doesn't change the hero's world view like Killmonger or Ledger's Joker.

Vulture also ticks a lot of boxes as well.
Green Goblin ticks a load of boxes but looks ridiculous.

Yeah Doc Oc and Vulture were awesome nobody has ever beaten Green Goblin for me I know its hammy as all hell but I just love it lol some of the lines he had were just fantasic.

upload_2019-7-5_12-20-16.jpeg

It was difficult deciding between Doc Ock and Vulture but I ultimately settled on the latter. Both are complex characters that the audience can easily sympathize with, but Vulture takes things to the next level by being an "average" guy who just wants to maintain his lifestyle for his family.

Also, was Dane DeHann the villain or the Green Goblin :cwink:
I wish you hadn't told me that's going to annoy me now lol

Hmm. I guess I'll go with Doc Ock? But Mysterio is very good. I honestly came away very impressed with Mysterio and maybe over time he'll take over as the best portrayal of a Spidey villain. I can't remember right now but did they ever mention if he also worked in Hollywood?

I like Vulture a lot too but that's more because of Keaton's performance. The only issue I have with Vulture is that beyond his general look, he bares very little resemblance to Toomes from the comics. If anything his personality is more like Abner Jenkins.

Hmm. I guess I'll go with Doc Ock? But Mysterio is very good. I honestly came away very impressed with Mysterio and maybe over time he'll take over as the best portrayal of a Spidey villain.

I like Vulture a lot too but that's more because of Keaton's performance. The only issue I have with Vulture is that beyond his general look, he bares very little resemblance to Toomes from the comics. If anything his personality is more like Abner Jenkins.

Doc Ock's personality is also different from the comics. I'll applaud anything that gives the villain more depth.

For me it is still Alfred Molina's Otto Octavius. Keaton's Vulture was also very good, and I think Gyllenhaal's Mysterio was well done, too. In fact, I think Keaton and Gyllenhaal were probably the best parts of their respective movies.

Doc Ock's personality is also different from the comics. I'll applaud anything that gives the villain more depth.

Right he didn't have a wife that caused him guilt and his arms didn't talk to him but the overall personality was like Doc Ock.

Vulture on the other hand is suddenly the father to the character meant to represent Liz Allen, he has a wife, he has a team working for him, he's pulling heists for wealth. Other than him being the father of Liz, that's more Abner Jenkins than Toomes. I'm not saying he's a bad character in Homecoming but I can't deny that it didn't feel like Vulture other than he has wings.

Mysterio is the flavor of the month so I’m assuming he’s going to get plenty of the votes here. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely loved Jake in the role and he would probably get my nod right now for best villain, especially when you take into account the visually appealing aspect of the fight scenes as well. Doc Ock is in the mix as well.

Vulture is in the discussion simply because it’s Keaton. He’s great no matter what he’s doing lol.

I am curious to see if Mysterio stands the test of time the way Other super villains have.

Last edited:
Alfred Molina's Doc Ock and Michael Keaton's Vulture are still my favorite villains in these live action Spider-Man movies. I would say Jake Gyllenhaal's Mysterio is probably the best when it comes to his power display and his costume, but as a villain I didn't find him as effective as the first two and I even think I prefer William Dafoe's Green Goblin over him no matter how hammy and ridiculous he was.

At least Dafoe brought a lot of energy and personality to the role.

1. Doctor Octopus
2. Green Goblin (Dafoe)
3. Vulture

DFDDA463-FAA5-430-E-84-C1-4096-C1-A3824-A.gif

Doc Ock
Mysterio
Vulture
Green Goblin

These 4 are your elites. I think there is a healthy distance between these 4 and the others. Including the others, I would go:

New Goblin (SM3)
Sandman
Lizard
Shocker (he is so minor, but not really offensive in anyway)
Venom
Green Goblin (TASM2)
Electro
Rhino

Doc Ock is so corny though. He starts off telling Peter he has to use science 'for the good of humanity', then he explains how he met his wife at college while she tried to explain poetry to him and he tried to explain science to her....he has a speech which ends with, '....and nothing will stand in our way! Nothing!'...plus the fact that he's not evil at all, he's just a good man controlled by evil tentacles...

Doc Ock is so corny though. He starts off telling Peter he has to use science 'for the good of humanity', then he explains how he met his wife at college while she tried to explain poetry to him and he tried to explain science to her....he has a speech which ends with, '....and nothing will stand in our way! Nothing!'...plus the fact that he's not evil at all, he's just a good man controlled by evil tentacles...

Are you trying to paint any of that as bad? Because you've not done a good job.

Goblin
Vulture
Ock
Mysterio
Lizard

We don't talk about the others

Doc Ock
Mysterio
Vulture
Green Goblin

These 4 are your elites. I think there is a healthy distance between these 4 and the others. Including the others, I would go:

New Goblin (SM3)
Sandman
Lizard
Shocker (he is so minor, but not really offensive in anyway)
Venom
Green Goblin (TASM2)
Electro
Rhino

Yeah I agree about those 4 being the most elite and I like most of the villains some what but yeah those 4 give the best combination of motivation, action, acting, look. I would go like this.

1. Doc ock- I known that people talk about him being changed from the comics but it works so well. Alfred Molina was so good in the role and menacing. I always love the line in the café when he tells Peter to find spiderman or he will peal the flesh off her bones to MJ. The train fight is still the best CBM action scence I have ever seen before and even the bank fight is great, and his motivation was great.

2. Vulture- I dont really read comics should start to I got a collection on dvd thing from amazon that you can read on a computer that has all the amazing spiderman and its like 540 issue or so only read a few though. I got into spiderman because of the 90s cartoon and than later on the movies and video games. But I would say based of those things Vulture is one of the more lame Spiderman villains but was great in this. Keatoon in the role is great and I love the look of Vulture and making him just like a ever man and trying to support his family and not just a crack old guy I thought was a great upgrade and the twist of him being liz dad and the whole car scence was so good. Only issue I really have his the action scences with him and spiderman were lacking.

3. Green Goblin- I known a lot of people dont like his look and say its like power ranger but I thought it was fine but I would like to see his more classic comic book look or like the 90s cartoon look. Willam defo was so good in the role with his laugh and lines like out am I. I didn't mind the cheesiness at all, and the last fight was so good with it being a more brutal fight than most CBM fights. Him wanting to kill the people he wanted to kill because of what happend and how he becomes Goblin worked so well. Only issue I really have is after he kills those people than what is he really trying to do? Why trying to team up with spiderman out side of spiderman being able to maybe stop him? Like is Goblin just wanting to be a dicktater or what?

4. Mysterio- The first fight with him and spiderman was so good, and different. I would say it might be my second favorite action scence in all 8 spiderman movies behind only train fight in spiderman 2 and the last fight made me so happy to. I think Jack did a good job at the role and also the suit seemed like the classic look. I do think his backstory could have been better or at least explain better though and he dosnt really have any extremely good no action moments like the other 3 did such has the car thing with Vulture for example.

What separates a 'good' villain from a 'great' villain

1. Motivation - What does this villain want? If you're unclear what the villain wants then that bad storytelling.
2. Sympathetic - Not a must have, but it's great if you can 'understand' what drives the villain even if you don't agree.
3. The villain has to be a threat - Whether physically or mentally the villain has to push the hero to their limits and beyond
4. Visually striking - Is the villain great to look at or memorable?
5. Coherent plan - Does the villain's plan make sense?
6. Villain changes the hero - This is hard to achieve but if the villain changes the hero's world view that is a great villain

Use this checklist and stake it up against all the great villains of cinema.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"