The Dark Knight Rises Best versions of Bane!

I was one of those people who felt Bane could work in a Nolan Bat film. I remember back in 2009/2010, on another messageboard, I asked why not have Batman take on a physical challenge in Bane? I was still shocked when it was announced that Hardy was playing Bane.

I remember hearing Anne was playing Selina Kyle and Tom Hardy was Bane. I'm like yes, Anne is frickin' Catwoman...wait, Hardy is BANE?! OH MAN!

Yeah, I was pumped.

Man, this thread got a lot of attention! :)

One of things I'll miss most about the Nolan films is his unique perspective on these characters. While Bane is probably my least liked villain, he actually made him into a character I really enjoyed. Even if a person wasn't a fan of Riddler, Penguin, or whoever else, I still would have loved to have seen how Nolan would have interpreted these characters along with Lindy Hemming

One of things I'll miss most about the Nolan films is his unique perspective on these characters. While Bane is probably my least liked villain, he actually made him into a character I really enjoyed. Even if a person wasn't a fan of Riddler, Penguin, or whoever else, I still would have loved to have seen how Nolan would have interpreted these characters along with Lindy Hemming

Much agreed. While a Nolanized version of Riddler would be very easy to imagine; it was Penguin that I really wanted to see Nolan's take on. I know he mentioned the Penguin being too far fetched or something, but he would have been easy to adapt into the Nolan-verse. Mob boss who runs the Iceberg lounge, but is also an arms dealer covertly.

Just not sure who I would have wanted to play him: Toby Jones or Philip Seymour Hoffman?

Much agreed. While a Nolanized version of Riddler would be very easy to imagine; it was Penguin that I really wanted to see Nolan's take on. I know he mentioned the Penguin being too far fetched or something, but he would have been easy to adapt into the Nolan-verse. Mob boss who runs the Iceberg lounge, but is also an arms dealer covertly.

Just not sure who I would have wanted to play him: Toby Jones or Philip Seymour Hoffman?

I actually think that a Nolan Riddler might be hard to imagine, which was why I was hoping he'd be in the third film. Like Nolan said, and others have said, the Riddler does seem a bit similar to the Joker. I can't imagine what kind of costume he would have had had (can't picture the domino mask and question mark suit). Also he really isn't into killing people so I'm not sure how you could have made him work. I'm sure Nolan could have found a way though and I would have loved to have seen what he and Lindy would created for him and other foes.
You bring up another good point about who he'd cast. Nolan also had pretty impeccable casting choices so it would been interesting to see who he would have picked. He definitely liked actors that were known more for there acting rather then their fame or market value. I'm very glad Depp wasn't cast in the final film.

I'm also very happy Depp wasn't cast either. Such an uninspired casting choice. I could see Riddler being more of a secondary threat. He'd definitely have a dark green suit, I'd imagine. Bowler hat included. Definitely agree on there not being a question mark suit, but perhaps he could wear a Domino mask for theatricality's sake? Maybe like near the climax of the film, he puts it on expecting to go out in a blaze of glory of some sorts.

I'm also very happy Depp wasn't cast either. Such an uninspired casting choice. I could see Riddler being more of a secondary threat. He'd definitely have a dark green suit, I'd imagine. Bowler hat included. Definitely agree on there not being a question mark suit, but perhaps he could wear a Domino mask for theatricality's sake? Maybe like near the climax of the film, he puts it on expecting to go out in a blaze of glory of some sorts.

Its definitely an interesting "what if" scenario. I kinda would have liked the idea of the Riddler not being present for most of the movie and revealing himself at the end. Kinda like the movie Se7en, where you felt his presence throughout the movies but never saw until the end. I thought the guy that plays Moriarity on the show Sherlock reminded me a bit of the Riddler.
Ya I really glad Depp wasn't in the third. Not sure how I would have felt about DiCaprio either. Great actor but wonder if he would have overshadowed the role. I thought Joaquin Phoenix would have made an interesting choice.

I remember hearing Anne was playing Selina Kyle and Tom Hardy was Bane. I'm like yes, Anne is frickin' Catwoman...wait, Hardy is BANE?! OH MAN!

Yeah, I was pumped.
Good times. Good times.

I'm going with the Nolanverse on this one because there are so many things about Hardy's Bane that I enjoyed. From the back-story to the voice to the mannerisms, everything was perfect.

I'm going with the Nolanverse on this one because there are so many things about Hardy's Bane that I enjoyed. From the back-story to the voice to the mannerisms, everything was perfect.

Except size

I'm going to guess Arkham Origins was closest to the comics, but my favorite was Nolan's. Hardy did a terrific job adding depth to that version of the character.

I wonder why so many comic books, tv shows and video games choose to downgrade Bane to a simple big bully instead of portraying him like the physical and intelectual bad ass he is in Knightfall and TDKR.

I think Arkham Origins also did a great job with him. Figuring out Batman's identity, trashing his Batcave and leaving Alfred for dead.

"When you have learned to turn grief into anger, then you will be ready to face me".

I wish Asylum and City had written him that well.

Yup. AO Bane is the best non-comics Bane. I also liked the revamped Bane with the s&m outfit in BTAS.

I think Arkham Origins also did a great job with him. Figuring out Batman's identity, trashing his Batcave and leaving Alfred for dead.

"When you have learned to turn grief into anger, then you will be ready to face me".
Yep, all this. I also really felt Bane's physical power and danger in AO. Particularly the scene where he rips Batman out of the elevator and gives him a beating. The best versions of Bane for me are:

The original comics: His origin story, and Knightfall
Arkham Origins
DC Animated Universe
The Dark Knight Rises

Those versions genuinely honoured the character and treated him with the respect he deserves. I'm not interested in the grunting meathead versions at all. It goes against what was originally intended. When Bane is presented like the portrayals above, he's one of the best Batman villains.

I wish Asylum and City had written him that well.

I was good up until the ending. I get that they were bound by the canon set up by Rocksteady but it still sucked to see him revert to the dumb monster in the last fight with him. And him deducing Batman's identity didn't go anywhere and was retconned right after. I wished he was in the game more honestly. But the Joker had to come in, again, and devour the whole story.

Yep, all this. I also really felt Bane's physical power and danger in AO. Particularly the scene where he rips Batman out of the elevator and gives him a beating. The best versions of Bane for me are:

The original comics: His origin story, and Knightfall
Arkham Origins
DC Animated Universe
The Dark Knight Rises

Those versions genuinely honoured the character and treated him with the respect he deserves. I'm not interested in the grunting meathead versions at all. It goes against what was originally intended. When Bane is presented like the portrayals above, he's one of the best Batman villains.

:up:

I was good up until the ending. I get that they were bound by the canon set up by Rocksteady but it still sucked to see him revert to the dumb monster in the last fight with him

Thank Rocksteady for that. They set the boundaries on the Arkham universe. But AO at least gave Bane redemption and showed him as a brilliant villain. We can at least say Bane was done well in one of the games.

Can't say the same for the likes of Two Face.

And him deducing Batman's identity didn't go anywhere and was retconned right after.

What do you mean it didn't go anywhere? He went to the Batcave and trashed it, and he left Alfred for dead. That's going somewhere with it. Provided one of the best emotional scenes of the series, too, where you have to resuscitate a seemingly dead Alfred. Then that whole crisis of faith in the mission Batman has; "I can't defend Gotham. I can't even defend my own home".

In the comics, where did Bane knowing Batman's identity go after he broke him in Knightfall? Nowhere. And he still knows Bruce is Batman, too. That's like the gimmick of Bane knowing Bruce is Batman. He goes and does something to hurt him personally, and then that's that.

Last edited:
Thank Rocksteady for that. They set the boundaries on the Arkham universe. But AO at least gave Bane redemption and showed him as a brilliant villain. We can at least say Bane was done well in one of the games.
Also, in AK they had the little side story saying Bane had left Gotham. It's like Rocksteady knew the unfavourable reaction to their creation and simply avoided him. They wrote themselves into a corner with the character being a mentally damaged Venom user and really couldn't have presented anything else.

Also, in AK they had the little side story saying Bane had left Gotham. It's like Rocksteady knew the unfavourable reaction to their creation and simply avoided him. They wrote themselves into a corner with the character being a mentally damaged Venom user and really couldn't have presented anything else.

Considering it's a fictional drug, I'm sure they could have figured out a way for him to get back to normal if they wanted to. But then again, Arkham Knight had a lot of issues with this kind of thing.

I like these, in no specific order:
  • DCAU
  • Arkham Origins
  • Nolan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"