Black Widow News and Speculation Thread

There are a couple of ways to do this.

1) Only people who sign up for a 12 month membership, get access to Black Widow.

2) Subscribers to Disney+ pay $25 to view Black Widow once, subsequent viewings require another $25.

On a billion dollar grosser, Disney would pocket a conservative 300-350m after theatre cuts with the 50/40/25 model. The biggest domestic PPV gross was $400+ million, at 69-90$ a buy with 4.6m buys in the US alone. At 25$ a pop Disney would have to sell 12 million buys worldwide to get to 300m. Good news is they don't have to share that with a distributor, and Disney+ already has almost 30m subscribers that can serve as a customer and advertising base.

Likely closer to 40 m now with the quarantine and European launch.

So $100 dollars a pop for a single person (or family) to view the film in the US once, more for people with exchange rates in other territories (film cost + yearly subscription cost). This is why I wouldn't be surprised to see options like different tiers. I certainly wouldn't over-complicate things, but it's a likely option. Using your example:

$100 ( $25 for film + 1 yr. subscription $69.99) - additional $25 per film viewing

$145 (film + 2 yr. subscription discounted $59.99 - $10 per year saving) -additional $25 per film viewing

$175 (film + 3 yr. subscription discounted at $49.99 - $20 per year saving) - additional $25 per film viewing

The benefits of getting people into the Disney + platform longer term ( and the option) is the saturation within the ecosystem. More user data to maximize spending, more long term stability for the platform (and stock), more spending in the flywheel (greater revenue across all businesses), etc

Last edited:
Well Disney has to release new movies in the cinemas when things eventually get better. They couldn't do that if the likes of Mulan/Black Widow, their biggest high profiled 2020 films are already out in streaming service.

Eternals will most likely move to 2021 so as Raya, as the post prod for these films might be deeply affected as well. And their 2021 movies are delayed from filming and might not make it to theaters until 2022, so they would have nothing big to release for a period of time if they already released Mulan/Bw in D+.

Well Disney has to release new movies in the cinemas when things eventually get better. They couldn't do that if the likes of Mulan/Black Widow, their biggest high profiled 2020 films are already out in streaming service.

Eternals will most likely move to 2021 so as Raya, as the post prod for these films might be deeply affected as well. And their 2021 movies are delayed from filming and might not make it to theaters until 2022, so they would have nothing big to release for a period of time if they already released Mulan/Bw in D+.
Believe me, I don't think streaming is a legitimate consideration at this point, the last post was basically a hypothetical. Disney will not throw away the unmatched revenue from a theatrical release, it's impact on merch sales globally, or the money from VOD before it eventually comes to Disney +. I think streaming is a last stand decision. More likely depending on how long the virus is a real danger, but still a long shot for major tentpoles.

Yeah my post was directed to the ones saying that they should release this straight to streaming. Eternals and Raya will likely move to 2021, as I feel like they are already behind schedule due to this pandemic. Besides, Mulan/Black Widow, their next biggest high profile film is Jungle Cruise and its not even guaranteed to succeed. Soul might only slightly better than Onwards (it doesn't look very appealing). The rest of Disney's 2020 film slate don't sound impressive just like 20th Century's 2020 slate. Its not going to be beneficial to Disney to release Black Widow in D+.

I surely am not going to watch it in cinemas but it should be released there. It was made for the silver screen experience, people want to watch it there and it would be better for the company financially.

There are a couple of ways to do this.

1) Only people who sign up for a 12 month membership, get access to Black Widow.

2) Subscribers to Disney+ pay $25 to view Black Widow once, subsequent viewings require another $25.
The simpler solution, imo, is to release it on VOD and then streaming maybe three weeks later.

People would watch the film when its safe to go to the theaters and when the theaters around the globe are open again. Its not like they delayed the movie and new movies are still coming out in theaters every weekend. Imo, they just need to give it time. After all, all 2020 movies are now being delayed eXcept for few films.

Releasing it on vod, and streaming 3 weeks later, would just hinder Black Widow's potential success in theater screens and Disney wouldn't be able to maXimize all their options for getting back their $.

Yes they are. Maybe not right away instead of at the movies but they will eventually

I don't think the streaming idea is all that good, they may get a few new subscribers and that is it. The moment they put it up it will be on one of the many torrenting sites. Might as well just wait it out and release it once all the lockdown and virus settles down.

I still plan on seeing it in the theaters when they do decide.

Yes they are. Maybe not right away instead of at the movies but they will eventually
Imo, Disney should just move it to February. I feel like since its already delayed, they should maXimize the potential of making a profit out of this when people are ready to flock to the theaters. And yeah, this will eventually hit the streaming sites like all of their movies, but a theaterical release should be done 1st.

January - The New Mutants
February - Black Widow
March - Mulan
May - Eternals / Soul
July - Raya and the Last Dragon
November - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
December - Avatar 2

I can have 4 different logins on Disney Plus, which I share with my family, if BW came on there £20, that’s 3 potential households that could watch it for that price, were as if we all went the cinema as a family it would be closer to £100.

For me, Disney would be foolish to release on their streaming service.

I'm starting to think Black Widow will get the Eternals slot in November with Eternals pushed to Feb '21, Shang-Chi's slot.

tumblr_mke5g6QhEZ1s65qwro1_400.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"