Blade in the News (Articles/Updates)

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
Jones Puts Spin On Blade

COQUITLAM, Canada—Kirk "Sticky" Jones, who plays the title role in Spike TV's upcoming Blade TV series, told SCI FI Wire that he's putting his own spin on the vampire hunter, who first appeared in Marvel Comics and most recently in a series of movies starring Wesley Snipes. "I'm definitely going to be borrowing from the films, but one thing that they really didn't do from the films is we're going to be borrowing from the comic books as well," Jones said in an interview during a break in filming on location in this Vancouver suburb. "So it's like a combination of both. Plus you know, my little psycho brain, whatever I add onto it."

Jones takes over the role of the half-human, half-vampire superhero from Snipes, who played the character in all three Blade movies, the most recent of which was 2004's Blade: Trinity. Last week, on the set of the show, which has been given a 13-episode order by the cable network, Jones played the character with the familiar black trench coat, samurai sword and black leather suit outfitted with weapons. A former mental hospital was transformed with signs and artfully placed vehicles to appear as a medical clinic on a street in Berlin, where Blade has to rescue a pregnant girl.

Between takes, Jones said that he's going to add some humanity to the character, who was played by Snipes as a stoic enforcer. "Well, first and foremost, I think Blade is going to be a little more street," said Jones, a rap musician who was last seen on F/X's war series Over There. "He's going to have a little more of that human side and a sense of humor, but then it's going to be the same Blade that everybody knows."

Jones said he can't help but bring his own personality to bear on the iconic character. "Yeah, well, you know, I can only use the elements that I have present," he said. "I mean, basically, I'm from the streets. I'm from the hood. I grew up in Brooklyn, so I carry that everywhere with me. And I think Blade is just the same. He grew up in Detroit. That’s probably worse than Brooklyn, you know?"

Another thing that will change: Blade's look. Unlike Snipes' fade haircut, Jones will play Blade with a shaved head and a goatee. "Blade never looked so good," he said with a smile. "Let me stop. No, well you know, actually, I grew the goatee for it. I figured, I love the bald head for Blade. I love it, you know, because, ... actually, in the comic books he didn't have a bald head, but he had this real, real short haircut, like [a] Caesar-type of thing. So I figured the bald head'll be perfect. And I figure, ... even in the comic books he didn't have a beard, he had a mustache. But I figured a goatee would round it off and make it perfect."

Jones co-stars in Blade: The Series with Jill Wagner, Neil Jackson, Jessica Gower and Nelson Lee. It premieres with a two-hour movie at 10 p.m. ET/PT on June 28. —Patrick Lee, News Editor

FYI

is this guy nuts? Blade never looked so good? OMG without that haircut it just doesn't seem like Blade, the hair was perfect!

Will he be as good as Snipes? Probably not. But, I think he'll play a decent Blade. :up:

He'll be fine. It's better this way. We don't want some actor coming in and doing everything the exact same as Snipes. Snipes brought his own personality to the character now we need something different since we have a different actor. It would be cheesey for him just to copy Wes.

This ought to be good. It's hard to take a movie with as many FX as Blade required and pare it down to a TV show.

12:00 AM, 25-APRIL-06

Blade Star Gets Physical

COQUITLAM, Canada—Kirk "Sticky" Jones, who stars in Spike TV's upcoming Blade TV series, told SCI FI Wire that he does about 85 percent of his own stunts—including one where he had to hang from chains all day without a harness. "I'm hanging from chains for, like, 12 hours like this [mimes a crucifixion pose], like The Passion of [the] Christ," Jones said in an interview on the show's set in this Vancouver suburb. "I mean, not straight [through]—you come out [for breaks]—but through the course of the whole day. That's how I got, like, damaged nerves, ruptured nerves, actually, [in my fingertips]. ... It was fun, though."

Jones plays the half-human, half-vampire warrior in the new show, which is based on the Marvel Comics and feature films. Jones trains constantly for the role, which requires him to perform martial arts, fight with a sword, shoot guns and otherwise run around. "I do at least 85 percent of my own stunts. But Efo [stunt double Efosa Otuomagie] over there does the remaining 15 percent: ... jump out of buildings, jump out of windows, ride 120 miles an hour on a motorcycle. ... Actually, Efo did an incredible stunt the other day ... on the pilot. It was on a clock tower. He jumped out of, like, a three-story window onto just cardboard boxes. I'm like, 'You guys are frickin' crazy, you know?'"

Jones trains with stunt coordinator Ernest Jackson (Underworld: Evolution). "All of the sword and fighting stuff I like to do myself," Jones said. "They've got an expert in kickboxing to simulate some of my kicks, but other than that, I try to do it, all me. ... I've been preparing for this role my whole life, because I've been in training for as long as I remember. Weight training, fighting training. ... Boxing training. But now it's all about martial-arts training. But boxing is the foundation of all our fighting. ... We practice almost every day. Sometimes it may be more. We put more time into it than others, where we have a set schedule, and we go to the action room and mess around for like three, four hours, you know? Or we might mess around for a half hour on the set, in between takes and stuff." Blade: The Series premieres with a two-hour movie at 10 p.m. ET/PT on June 28. —Patrick Lee, News Editor

New

12:00 AM, 25-APRIL-06

Blade Star Gets Physical

COQUITLAM, Canada—Kirk "Sticky" Jones, who stars in Spike TV's upcoming Blade TV series, told SCI FI Wire that he does about 85 percent of his own stunts—including one where he had to hang from chains all day without a harness. "I'm hanging from chains for, like, 12 hours like this [mimes a crucifixion pose], like The Passion of [the] Christ," Jones said in an interview on the show's set in this Vancouver suburb. "I mean, not straight [through]—you come out [for breaks]—but through the course of the whole day. That's how I got, like, damaged nerves, ruptured nerves, actually, [in my fingertips]. ... It was fun, though."

Jones plays the half-human, half-vampire warrior in the new show, which is based on the Marvel Comics and feature films. Jones trains constantly for the role, which requires him to perform martial arts, fight with a sword, shoot guns and otherwise run around. "I do at least 85 percent of my own stunts. But Efo [stunt double Efosa Otuomagie] over there does the remaining 15 percent: ... jump out of buildings, jump out of windows, ride 120 miles an hour on a motorcycle. ... Actually, Efo did an incredible stunt the other day ... on the pilot. It was on a clock tower. He jumped out of, like, a three-story window onto just cardboard boxes. I'm like, 'You guys are frickin' crazy, you know?'"

Jones trains with stunt coordinator Ernest Jackson (Underworld: Evolution). "All of the sword and fighting stuff I like to do myself," Jones said. "They've got an expert in kickboxing to simulate some of my kicks, but other than that, I try to do it, all me. ... I've been preparing for this role my whole life, because I've been in training for as long as I remember. Weight training, fighting training. ... Boxing training. But now it's all about martial-arts training. But boxing is the foundation of all our fighting. ... We practice almost every day. Sometimes it may be more. We put more time into it than others, where we have a set schedule, and we go to the action room and mess around for like three, four hours, you know? Or we might mess around for a half hour on the set, in between takes and stuff." Blade: The Series premieres with a two-hour movie at 10 p.m. ET/PT on June 28. —Patrick Lee, News Editor

Very good news. :up:

Looks like he's taking the role seriously. Can't wait to see how this turns out. :up:

Chaos Bringer said:
my fingers are crossed I want this to be good

We all do. But it seems we all have different levels of confidence.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060509/20060509005164.html?.v=1

Air2Web Mobile Marketing Solution Chosen by Spike TV
Tuesday May 9, 8:01 am ET
Network to Promote ''Blade: The Series'' via Mobile Handsets

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 9, 2006--Air2Web, the leading provider of mobile marketing and messaging applications, today announced an agreement with Spike TV to promote the network's new scripted drama, "Blade: The Series," using integrated short message service (SMS) and voice campaigns.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Blade: The Series" continues the story of the legendary Marvel Comics superhero known for battling the vampire underworld, and premieres on Spike TV June 28 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. In order to better reach its core demographic of men ages 18-34, Spike TV enlisted Air2Web to help execute a mobile marketing campaign to stir up interest in the new series.

"As one of the most-watched action hero films, Blade has a large community of followers," said Steve Farrell, VP Director of Digital Media for Spike TV. "We know the core Blade fans are avid technology users so we're using multiple wireless and broadband vehicles to better connect to the character's existing fan base."

Spike TV's mobile marketing initiative kicked off on April 13 with the launch of a website dedicated to the House of Chthon (www.houseofchthon.com), one of the many vampire houses viewers will see throughout the 12-episode series. The new site will help the network promote the highly anticipated program while enabling fans to sign up for mobile alerts featuring upcoming episodes and sweepstakes. In addition, "Blade: The Series" personalities will phone opt-in subscribers prior to the series launch, reminding viewers to tune in. Air2Web solutions will power these mobile campaigns, as well as deliver SMS and voice messages to subscribers across all carriers and devices.

"Spike TV is using an integrated marketing approach, tying mobile, web, television and voice initiatives into a single effective campaign targeted at Blade fans," said Alfredo Narez, Vice President of Marketing at Air2Web. "We're excited to see the positive effect this campaign will have on Spike's viewership."

About Air2Web

Air2Web is the leading developer of mobile messaging and marketing applications for enterprises and carriers. Headquartered in the United States with locations in India (serving the Asia Pacific market), France and England (serving the European markets), Air2Web solutions are the core of the wireless value chain--connecting marketers to mobile subscribers on a global scale. Since 1999, Air2Web has played a vital role in the successful mobile marketing initiatives of leading brands such as The Weather Channel interactive, PGA Tour, CBS Sportsline, Cingular and UPS. More information on Air2Web can be found at http://www.air2web.com.

I have some hope for this show, I'm glad to see it being taken seriously, that's always the first step.

MaskedManJRK said:
Will he be as good as Snipes? Probably not. But, I think he'll play a decent Blade. :up:

Sticky is gonna SLAM them Vampires!
heh I want another Blade movie with snipes more then this but this is a nice alternative I guess... Hope Sticky does a good job cus he's a pretty good actor also.
He should be just fine... Just hope he knows Kung Fu, and Karate, and all that Jazz... :)

If not hope he's learning that stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"