Review the Blade TV Pilot (Post critic reviews too!)

Yeah, Sticky Jones sure is putting what he learned to good use. That together with th editing makes for some very Blade-like fights.:)...Juuust don't do a wide shot any time soon.

Bummed me out that they killed off Fritz so early though. I really thought that he was going to be a pretty big deal.

Savage said:
Yeah, Sticky Jones sure is putting what he learned to good use. That together with th editing makes for some very Blade-like fights.:)...Juuust don't do a wide shot any time soon.

Bummed me out that they killed off Fritz so early though. I really thought that he was going to be a pretty big deal.

The fights in episode 2 were much better than 1. Yeah Fritz was cocky and wanted to kill Blade. I wish it would have played out a little more too. Would have been really interesting.

iceberg325 said:
The fights in episode 2 were much better than 1. Yeah Fritz was cocky and wanted to kill Blade. I wish it would have played out a little more too. Would have been really interesting.

There were fights in episode 2? All I saw was Blade getting strangled a little. :p At least there was actual fighting in episode 1.

Bishop2 said:
There were fights in episode 2? All I saw was Blade getting strangled a little. :p At least there was actual fighting in episode 1.

Well in episode 1, they looked pretty bad lol. In episode 2, there was less blade, which meant less action. What I like about the series is it goes beyond the normal vampire slaying.

I liked the part where he just walked up to the guy and stabbed him and you could see him ash in his glasses. That and when he was throwing that guy off of buildings and crap. Awesome stuff.

But yeah, his fight with Fritz actually brought me right back into the movies with how frantic and fluid it was. If I was turning my head real quick I'd think it was Wesley. lol

that's awesome that Hannibal will be returning. does this mean that we might get Abigail back as well?

The pilot was surprisingly good!

The good
- Neil Jackson. This guy stole every scene he was in. The best actor in the show, loads of charisma. The scene where he turns Krista is handled very well, he manages to NOT go over the top with it. What can i say. So far he's the best thing about the show and has the potential to be one of TV's best villains.
- David Goyer. Still doing a good job of setting the blade "mood". As long as he's in charge, I think i'll like the show regardless of it's faults.
- Sticky thingaz. Not bad, but I wish he'd use his normal voice more.

The bad
- Action scenes and fight scenes. STOP OVERINDULGING SLOW MOTION! It's corny, passe, cheesy. The fight scenes seemed very fake. The KPOW sounds were very loud for what seemed to be a minor hit.
- What I don't understand is if Krista's brother was an informer then why the hell was he so happy about being turned at the begining of the show.
Let's imagine for a second that Blade lied. Zach was his spy but only because Blade was threatning him. Blade lied to Krista to spare her feelings, or to convince her to help him. Either way, it adds depth to his character.

I like Angel better. But I will definitely give this show more of a chance. The Second Episode was a weee better then the pilot

LadyVader said:
If Krista's brother was an informer then why the hell was he so happy about being turned at the begining of the show

Imagine for a second that maybe they LIED TO HIM about what it is like being a Vampire. Or maybe they did not fill him in on all the details about being (turned) & he thought it would be something completely different

Wouldn't Blade tell him the truth? If he was indeed working with Blade then I supposed he knew that vampires are bad!

LadyVader said:
If he was indeed working with Blade then I supposed he knew that vampires are bad!

We do not know enough to come to conclusions

Ok, i have yet again watched the pilot, and have once again found an inconsistancy in Goyer's writing. In the opening scene to the first Blade, the doctors that are attending to Blade's mother (vanessa) says' "Police found her on the street.......". Yet Randy Quaid's character said that Blade father is the one that found and took Blades mother to the hospital...which one is it, Mr.-i can't get things-right-Goyer?

There are contradictions everywhere...

So am I the only one who noticed, from what looked like to me, that Blade went into that last fight without a bullet-proof vest? Maybe cus I only saw it once, but afterwards he was plucking bullets out of his chest! Maybe I'm off base, but it didn't look right to me...

I just finished watchiowns. and I think there's some definite ups and downs.

Ups:

* I think that Sticky is pretty much Wesley Snipes in the role. I was hoping for a bit more variance in acting and his own take but except for the "I don't talk normal because I'm whispering for no reason" aspect, he seems pretty much to have been possessed by Blade.

* Krista is hot. It'd be shallow if that wasn't why she was there. Ironically, I liked her more when she was "blue jeans and fatigues" hot rather than "I'm a sexy Toreador" (sorry, my WW heritage is showing through). Something about that tough girl just turned me on.

* I like Marcus. Marcus is much like Deacon Frost was in the original Blade movie. Not in their attitudes (Deacon is very "rebellious" while Marcus is very young Republican) but instead how both are fairly likeable guys that you wouldn't mind hanging out with....if they weren't evil.

It's rare you get a villain with genuine charisma. I also understand why he shot her brother. Marcus is all big on not acting like an animal. He has 'bite aversion' it seems.

* Marcus' girlfriend is definitely playing the part of Prince's ho. The "this is not my natural hair color" bleach blonde and practically desperate ****iness she exudes is actually very good acting. If Marcus goes for Krista instead of her, its entirely understandable while at the same time not being unappealing.

She's definitely 'worn out' her attractive personality and Krista is new meat.

* Mark Spector. Tee hee. I wonder how she would have reacted to meeting Moon Knight.

* Gore. Its an R-rated series and it shows.

Downs:

* Not terribly good martial arts its been stated.

* Sticking alittle CLOSE to the movie for my tastes, I would have preferred to branch out more.

* Needed A LOT more Blade.

Well given that Sticky is the less talented actor in the bunch, did we really need more Blade? :)

And as for branching out, give it time. It's just the pilot. Trust me that in future episodes Goyer will really be stretching his legs. My hunch is that he's trying to build his very own Whedonverse. :)

Well I'm watching 2 now.

And I have high hopes. Though from what Goyer has done, he hasn't so much built his own Wheldonverse as he's playing in the World of Darkness except not making it suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"