Review the Blade TV Pilot (Post critic reviews too!)

I did like that scene.
Like I said, for me the positives outweigh the negatives, but there's room to grow. The advantage a TV show has over a movie is they can tighten up their weak spots next week, not 3 years from now.

Chris Wallace said:
I did like that scene.
Like I said, for me the positives outweigh the negatives, but there's room to grow. The advantage a TV show has over a movie is they can tighten up their weak spots next week, not 3 years from now.

I totally agree. I'll be tuning in next week. I hope there's an encore this weekend.

I heard the "Marc Spector" line and I was sitting there thinking, "Damn, that's familiar. Who is that?" Duh...Moon Knight. Thanks for reminding me everyone.

I picked up on that one right away. I just don't know if it's a prelude to Moon Knight or a "Eddie's been on it for weeks" kind of reference. Or even a "Hank McCoy in X2/Curt Conners in Spider-Man 2" kind of reference.

I just finish watching it again (i recorded it) noticed a few things more, feel free to comment on them if you like:

1) When Krista points the gun at Blades head, she says that it loaded with silver bullets. Blade then saids "doesn't work on me". If regular bullets don't harm Blade (as he has the advantage of not being phased by them because of his vampire side), and silver bullets don't...what the hell does?

2) After Blade first meets Krista, face to face, Krista saids "whats that smell?"
Blade replys "Garlic, they don't like it either"...........Blade walks around wearing garlic cologne? LOL!

3) The body guard who summoned Marcus in to talk to the Vampire elders/purebloods at the end was Native American Indian. Marcus, in Kristas flashback, was turned by Native Indian Vampires....it would be cool if the purebloods were actually Native Indians, seeing as how the show is set in North America and they were the first civilization here.It would make more sense, imo....:up:

1-Whistler said he could handle silver in the first film. And they keep saying "ALL their strengths, NONE of their weaknesses."
2-in the MAX comic series, it said that he starches his clothes w/garlic.
3-I noticed the guard but hadn't made the connection w/the vision. I'm sure that's something they'll explore further.

Garlic cologne = stupid.

Besides that, I enjoyed the show very much. I'll be watching next week.

I thought it was okay!!!:o

First off, Sticky Fingaz doesn't even come close to having the presence that Wesley had as Blade. His acting was mediocre at best, some lines he delivered well, and some just sounded horrible because it felt like he was imitating Wesley's portrayl of the character. Second, they made Blade sooooo weak. He got his ass kicked most of the time, by ordinary vampires...WHAT? Blade should have killed all of them in less than a minute!!! But I did love the cinematography, which looked almost like the first Blade movie and the special effects were cool for a TV show. The fight scenes need a lot of work, though, espeically Blade!!! It seemed like they were wrestling most of the time, not like the high-octave martial arts moves in the films. But I also like the villian of the show so far, his interesting and seems to have a nice backstory. All and all, the show has a lot of work to do to stand out on it's own. It will be interesting to see where it goes.:up:

i dug it... it wasn't perfect by a long shot, but i liked the villain, kirk "sticky" jones was awesome, i thought (i liked the bald so much more than that gay 1992 kid and play flat top wesley had) and i loved the nods to the movie. the 'ashings' looked good for a tv budget, it was gorier than i expected, and they dropped the "s" bomb once or twice.

i didn't like the 'native american' thing, but, we'll see where they go with that. i'm also on the fence about krista, but, she's really hot, and they could do some interesting things with her character, i think. blade having a vampire spy? pretty cool idea.

I thought it sucked. It pretty much completely lost my attention after half an hour. The ecting on Sticky's part was pretty bad. I agree with IGN when they said he's just doing a bad Snipes impression.
I like Blade, but I'm definately not going to waste any more time trying to watch this mess.

Golgo13:The Hitman said:
I just finish watching it again (i recorded it) noticed a few things more, feel free to comment on them if you like:

1) When Krista points the gun at Blades head, she says that it loaded with silver bullets. Blade then saids "doesn't work on me". If regular bullets don't harm Blade (as he has the advantage of not being phased by them because of his vampire side), and silver bullets don't...what the hell does?

2) After Blade first meets Krista, face to face, Krista saids "whats that smell?"
Blade replys "Garlic, they don't like it either"...........Blade walks around wearing garlic cologne? LOL!

3) The body guard who summoned Marcus in to talk to the Vampire elders/purebloods at the end was Native American Indian. Marcus, in Kristas flashback, was turned by Native Indian Vampires....it would be cool if the purebloods were actually Native Indians, seeing as how the show is set in North America and they were the first civilization here.It would make more sense, imo....:up:

1) silver doesn't work on him (all their strengths, none of their weeknesses) i think that's what he was refering to, not the bullets.

2) i'm pretty sure blade said he was using garlic bullets at some point in time. you figure you shoot a vampire with a garlic fillled bullet, theyburn, and the whole room's probably going to smell of garlic.

- i will take this oppurtunity to say, what the crap was the alcoholic dad from not another teen movie (forget his name) doing here playing a smart guy? if i had to pick one thing about this show i didn't like, he was it. he was soooooo miscast.

I'd give it a 7/10. I agree with everybody that the fight scenes were bad...really bad, but at least the plot is looking promising. Michael Jai White would have so owned in this this role. :(

I agree. Michael Jai White was sssooooo badass in the straight to dvd flick Undisputed 2, which coincidently is the sequel to Wesley Snipes prison movie, Undisputed. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's nothing like the original...... your in for a real treat!:up:

Whats this about Marc Spector?!?!

I didn't see it, I'm sure it will come back on....please. :(

I thought it was okay, but nothing that should've been two hours long.

-As Snipes famously said in the wake of Trinity, "The movie is called 'BLADE'." After about an hour of Krista running around, I began to wonder why I was still watching.

-Jones just wasn't very impressive as Blade. His portrayal reminded me of something out of a fanfilm.

-The one actor I did like was the bad guy. He reminded me a lot of Paul Bettany.

Overall, I doubt I will keep tuning in. After two hours, I felt as though nothing was really resolved, other than Blade getting himself a little vampire spy. But I really don't have any interest in seeing that become a running storyline, with Krista constantly having to lead a double life for Blade.

On a related note:

I am truly in love with the girl from the 'Xyience' commercial 'Monica'. You know the one with the black hair dancing ontop of the chair, covered in seat...hot or what! Can't find any picks of her though...

Golgo13:The Hitman said:

I was wondering that too, I guess they are since the house that Marcus serves under still follows the same traditional method of "turning" someone. He was strung up in Krista's vision the same way she was.

I liked the pilot but it was a bit long. This show may be much easier to like in 1 hour format. Can't wait to see the next episode. Wonder if it will have a good intro?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060630/tv_nm/ratings_dc_1

"Blade" carves out big night for Spike TV
By Paul J. Gough Thu Jun 29, 10:55 PM ET

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Spike TV had an edge on Wednesday with the premiere of its first original drama series, "Blade: The Series."
The premiere drew 2.5 million total viewers, up from the 1.7 million that tuned in to an Ultimate Fighting Championship special from 8-10 p.m. It also registered triple-digit gains compared with the same period last year in Spike's target demo, men 18-34 (680,000 viewers) and men 18-49 (1.2 million viewers).

Nice. :) I'm hoping this show leads to more hero shows like Daredevil or...well...any Marvel Knight or Max title.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/booksmags/sfl-tvbladejun28,0,5207647.story?coll=sfla-features-books

Spike's TV series Blade sharper than expected

By Chauncey Mabe
Entertainment Writer
Posted June 28 2006

When Wesley Snipes declined the television reprise of the half-vampire superhero he played in three respectable B-movies, fan message boards predicted Blade: The Series would be the worst sci-fi show in action-adventure history.

Which would, of course, be impossible, considering that history includes such cable and syndicated monsterpieces as Earth: Final Conflict, TekWar, Andromeda and Total Recall 2070. (Note to geeks: Hold your calls and letters. I said the shows were awful. I didn't say I don't watch them.)

Lost in the uproar over the loss of Snipes was the good news: David S. Goyer, who wrote all three Blade theatricals, and directed the last one, signed on to shepherd the franchise's transition to Spike, where it will be the manboy netlet's first scripted drama.

Happily, Goyer's touch can be seen all over the pilot, which he co-wrote. Boasting more wit, polish and attention to detail than generally found in the genre, Blade: The Series rivals The Invisible Man (2000, Sci Fi) and Witchblade (2000, TNT) as among the most promising sci-fi debuts in recent memory.

This might accurately be termed Blade Jr. Rapper-turned-actor Kirk "Sticky" Jones lacks the intensity of Snipes' big-screen charisma, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It allows Jones to make the nocturnal avenger slightly more human -- certainly a valid variation on a theme.

Goyer, though obviously mindful of the films, successfully reimagines the premise for the long haul of series TV. Gone are cool sidekicks Whistler, Hannibal and Abigail; Blade's new techie assistant is wiseacre Shen (Nelson Lee, Traffic: The Miniseries). The formerly globe-trotting Blade will now fight vampires primarily in Detroit (actually Vancouver, the city without which cable sci-fi could not exist).

His nemesis remains the shadow vampire empire ("vempire"?), now led with admirable Eurotrash smarm by Marcus van Sciver (Neil Jackson, Alexander), who specializes in dastardly plots to enslave and otherwise inconvenience the human population.

The biggest change in the Blade universe is the introduction of Krista Starr (Jill Wagner), a battle-tested Army vet whose twin brother, a snitch for Blade, has been murdered by Sciver and his henchmen. Avid for revenge, she makes a risky decision to infiltrate Sciver's organization by becoming a vampire. This puts her allegiance in doubt, and neatly leaves Blade as the sole hope for saving her human soul.

Wagner, best known as a spokesmodel for Mercury cars and for a recurring bit on Punk'd, is generic cable cheesecake in the Angie Everhart/Jamie Luner tradition. Sure, she's a sop to Spike's demographic, but she's well used here. By toning down the sex appeal early on, her transformation into a curvaceous, leather-clad vixen with superpowers is a lot more fun than it might have been.

Suffice to say that Goyer and company -- six other writers are credited, and director Peter O'Fallon deserves acknowledgement -- whip all this into a satisfying comic-book saga that does a good job of setting up the series to follow.

One worry: The Invisible Man and Witchblade, hampered by cliched writing and diminishing production values, both morphed into mediocre series, the sharpness of their pilots sadly left behind. With Goyer staying on as an executive producer, maybe that curse can be avoided. But don't stick your neck out.

Chauncey Mabe can be reached at [email protected] or 954-356-4710.

Blade Has Potential To Not Suck

[FONT=verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By David Kelly: 2006-06-29[/FONT]

463.jpg
‘Blade: The Series’ premiered on Spike TV last night, and I checked it out. At first I thought this show was going to be just another crime drama with vampires as hour number one of the pilot kind of, well, sucked. There was not a whole hell of a lot of Blade in the ‘Blade: The Series’ for the first half of the show. The second hour picked up the pace, however, and really seemed to set the tone of the show. I’d say this show has potential to turn into something good, but it’s still a far cry from the gritty basic cable fare FX is putting out. This show isn’t as gritty; it’s just dirty.

I’m still not sold on Kirk “Sticky Fingaz” Jones as the Dhampir. He looks good as an action hero, but I think there is more depth to the character of Blade than what we see on the surface. I know that’s what they are going to explore in the show as this is going to be a more character driven series, but the jury is still out on whether he can pull off a wider range. He was not in the show much initially, as this pilot seemed to set up the characters of Krista (Jill Wagner) and Marcus Van Scriver (Neil Jackson). I was so ready to hate this show when I thought they were setting her up as the new “companion” of Blade, so when they turned her into a vampire and went the full nine with it I was impressed. The fact that Krista the vampire is a far more interesting character than Krista the Iraq-vet helped a lot.

Krista investigated the murder of her brother, Zack. He was a kid who I thought was just another vampire-poser. You know, the kind that hangs out in goth clubs *****ing to girls whom could care less about how alone he is in the world. “I travel the knife edge of life, wandering the streets of decay with nothing by my side except my internal torment.” Does this kind of guy think these speeches will get him laid? “The intensity of my angst is only meaningful to me. . .me and my darkness.” Riiiiight. Turns out Zack was actually a plant working for Blade. Yeah, working to get a hole put in his head. Oh, and what’s with that? Centuries old vampires resorting to simple firearms to take out spies? Bull****. Show some panache.

Other observations:

• Is it common practice for hookers in Detroit to readily hop in the cars of on-duty cops? Even the pimps seem to see them as solid customers.
  • The vampire scientists use Alienware computers so they can play WoW in between serum renderings.
  • More feux-vampire exchanges: “The blood of the innocent lamb feeds the hollow shell of the husk that was my soul. I will drink the bane of the crimson moon until my thirst is sated.” “So you wanted half-dozen raspberry filled?” “And 6 custards, yes.”

This season of ‘Blade: The Series’ is actually worth checking out. I know they are going to be finding their way for the first few episodes, but the pilot didn’t set the bar that high. It was interesting enough that I’d check it out again next week. I doubt it has the same kind of staying power of other vampire shows like ‘Buffy’ or even ‘Angel’, but that’s because David Goyer is no Joss Whedon. Still, I was ready to hate this show as being brainless Spike TV fare, so I was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Blade-Has-Potential-To-Not-Suck-463.html

'Blade' series presents a cutting-edge vampire slayer

BY JONATHAN STORM

Philadelphia Inquirer

222671081870.jpg

Shane Harvey/Spike TV
Blade (Kirk "Sticky" Jones) stands with preserved creatures who serve as guinea pigs for a vampire vaccine in Spike TV's "Blade: The Series."

With more blood and guts than half-a-dozen CSIs, Spike TV's new Blade series should be a big hit with vampires. It premieres with a two-hour extravaganza tonight, June 28, at 10 p.m. ET, safely after sundown.
Soulless demons won't care that the show, which picks up where comic books and movies of the same name have left off, is all about a guy who's trying to destroy them.
It's a tough job. People have been out to do it in movies and on TV for nearly 100 years. Nobody gives the crusaders props because nobody actually believes in vampires. Buffy, the last storied slayer, got so little respect, she wound up on UPN.
But film and TV writers shower these slayers with props of another kind - wooden stakes, silver bullets and whatnot - depending on exactly what sort of vampires are under examination. In Blade, apparently, they're impervious to crosses and holy water (poor Bela Lugosi is spinning in his coffin). But they really can't stand garlic.
So Blade has eight or 12 special shotguns - he can wield them one in each hand - that shoot big loads of garlic juice, and the vamps vanish in a cool display of sparks and melted skin. He's got those throwing doo-hickeys Ninjas use, too; a giant sword/stake that he carries in a custom quiver; and a special hyper hypodermic that he uses to inject blue serum (Sapphire gin?) into himself to prevent bloodlust.
Like Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (who kept goat blood in the fridge to slake his thirst), Blade's a vampire, too. And he wears a long leather coat, which does not get caught in the wheels or the drive train of the amazing Harley-Davidson VRSCD Night Rod motorcycle that he rides everywhere, even through the basement of some Moscow fortress, where, for reasons unexplained, he's chasing a Russian soldier.
I specifically mention the powerful, highly maneuverable, and sure-to-get-you-killed-if-you-ride-like-Blade Night Rod, in the desperate hope that Harley-Davidson will pay me a fraction of what they're paying Spike to showcase the machine, and I can give up this crazy gig of watching TV before what remains of my brain completely disappears.
Because, despite the loud music and all the supposedly ominous foolishness, blood that even spatters the camera lenses, and a sexy proto-vamp who often manages to wear almost no clothes (OK, maybe not despite her), I kind of liked the stupid thing.
Former hip-hop front man Kirk "Sticky" Jones, fresh from FX's Over There, plays Blade, a vampire halfbreed, since his mom got the bite while she was pregnant with him. Shaved head and killer shades, he's reminiscent of Avery Brooks as Hawk in Spencer: For Hire.
Jill Wagner, fresh from Punk'd and all those Lincoln Mercury commercials, is Krista Starr, who'll be working with Blade for reasons you'll ascertain in the premiere. She first appears as a tough former sergeant, back from combat for an anonymous military branch, and wouldn't you like to have her barking orders at you?
Aided by their loyal, and really, really smart, assistant Shen, who designs most of Blade's cool weapons and electronic geegaws that make him an up-to-the-minute vampire slayer, Blade and Krista will chase the ultra-evil Marcus Van Sciver (who has a hot blond loyal assistant of another kind named Chase) all around Detroit. Marcus and Chase are the equivalent of Spike and Drusilla from Buffy, but nowhere near as pleasant.
There are a million reasons the producers might have chosen the Motor City as Vampire Central, but with the grim treatment the place gets, we can all be glad they didn't turn their eyes to Philadelphia.
Congressional "leaders" and others who thrive on trying to stuff their no-fun agenda down everybody's throats would really get mad at Blade, if they ever saw it.
But come on. Half-naked, teeth-kicking babes and throat-slashing moto-pros need a home, too. Spike should get a silver medal for giving them such a comfy one.

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/entertainment/gossip/14922089.htm

The encore is on today i believe im not sure what time, but 4 p.m. EST rings a bell... but im not 100% sure lol, but yeah i thought for the first episode it was o.k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"