Blade Runner 2049

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeSully

Civilian
Reaction score
Ridley Scott is returning to the Alien franchise (or at least with a film that has “Alien‘s DNA”) with the upcoming sci-fi flick Prometheus. Now he’s revisiting another classic from his past as Deadline reports that Scott will direct and produce a new installment of Blade Runner. For those unfamiliar with the original, the 1982 sci-fi thriller was loosely based on Philip K. Dick’s short story “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” and starred Harrison Ford as Richard Deckard, a burnt-out “Blade Runner” assigned to track down and destroy rogue superhuman androids known as “replicants”. However, he then falls in love with one and there’s also some ambiguity as to whether or not Deckard may be a replicant himself.
Hit the jump for more details on this intriguing project.

There’s no word on weather or not Ford would return for the film, presuming that it’s a sequel. Just as Prometheus looks like a pseudo-Alien prequel (and the movie started out as a straight prequel to Scott’s film), the new Blade Runner could be a prequel or a spin-off or, in the cryptic terms used to describe Prometheus, the new movie could have Blade Runner DNA. It’s important to note that this is just the first step, Scott has scores of other projects he could do, and there’s currently no script. It could take years for this project to go into production assuming it ever does.

Alcon Entertainment handle the production of the film and would easily be the company’s most high-profile project to date and likely their most expensive. Their biggest hit to date with 2009′s The Blind Side. Alcon has an output deal with Warner Bros., who made the original film and released the 25th anniversary DVD and Blu-ray back in 2007.

http://collider.com/ridley-scott-new-blade-runner-movie/110028/

HOLY. S**T.

I've been yearning for a Blade Runner-type film for the modern age (imagine the possibilities), but no one in Hollywood has the gall or vision to make it. There's no better guy to do it than the man that practically shaped cyberpunk futurism for cinema.

This is the best news I've heard all year. :D

Could be cool counting on what the story is.

I have a lot of faith in Ridley Scott. I even think he's a little better than James Cameron. Alien and Blade Runner are two of my favorite movies. I own three copies of Blade Runner, I've always found the movie stunning, and really think it's one of the all-time greats. If this is a sequel, or side-quel or even prequel I'm all for it. I always thought Blade Runner had an enormous amount of potential, if for no other reason than the atmosphere of it's future to be a franchise. Although if they continue it I feel like it needs to ape George A. Romero's Dead franchise. Logically move forward into the future, but change the cast and setting each time to give a new perspective on the world around them. With Ridley Scott this could definitely be great, it's nice to see him return to these kinds of movies. He's a genius.

I have a lot of faith in Ridley Scott. I even think he's a little better than James Cameron. Alien and Blade Runner are two of my favorite movies. I own three copies of Blade Runner, I've always found the movie stunning, and really think it's one of the all-time greats. If this is a sequel, or side-quel or even prequel I'm all for it. I always thought Blade Runner had an enormous amount of potential, if for no other reason than the atmosphere of it's future to be a franchise. Although if they continue it I feel like it needs to ape George A. Romero's Dead franchise. Logically move forward into the future, but change the cast and setting each time to give a new perspective on the world around them. With Ridley Scott this could definitely be great, it's nice to see him return to these kinds of movies. He's a genius.

I really don't know how to feel about this news. On one hand, who better to do it? on the other hand, does Blade Runner need sequels? If it was something more like what he has implied Prometheus ended up being, where it would be more of a tangential relation to the older film then I could definitely get behind it.

Also random question, but would the Dick estate get anything out of this? His daughters have been fairly involved in the past few Dick adaptations.

If they made a prequel, when the hell would it be set? It might be close to 2019 by the time this comes out. lol.

This is a terrible idea. The idea of a sequel/prequel is better than the execution of it could ever be.

Blade Runner is such a divisive film. You either find it boring or brilliant. They would be too afraid to make a film like that, and with a MINIMUM budget of $100m?

Ridley Scott has been making B movies for years. "A Good Year"? "Body of Lies"?

It would be a commercial piece of ****. And you know it.

and the next movie will be Legend of what?

WTF is this s.?

Wow.

It won't touch the original. It was of its time... even though it wasn't :D

I'd like to see a continuation using different characters but keeping it in the same universe.

I'm sure it won't follow more of Deckard but in the same universe. Oh BTW I just passed out. Most that know me here, know how big I'm on Blade Runner I can't stop drooling.

I'm sure it won't follow more of Deckard but in the same universe. Oh BTW I just passed out. Most that know me here, know how big I'm on Blade Runner I can't stop drooling.

:up:

It's given me the taste. I'm eyeing my Blu-ray on my shelf.

I doubt it will be about Deckard....but a movie set with the same themes and universe would be nice.

I'll have to wait till Prometheus. Ridley hasn't exactly been great this century. If Prometheus is good, then I will be hyped.

I saw it at the theater on it's original run...did you get to do that? I have some neat promotional stuff I kept from back then (lobbycards and such).

I doubt it will be about Deckard....but a movie set with the same themes and universe would be nice.

What I like about Scott's head is that he sees Blade Runner and Alien as possibly the same universe. He said it in a commentary for one of them--think it was BR--that he could imagine the space truckers of Alien coming back from a long mission and kicking back in the Snake Lounge.

Say you love it, C. Lee. SAY IT.

I saw it at the theater on it's original run...did you get to do that? I have some neat promotional stuff I kept from back then (lobbycards and such).

That must have been class. I was lucky enough to catch the Final Cut on the big screen, which suited me fine due to the lack of Ford's tired narration.

I'm not excited for a prequel/sequel setting as much as I am just to to witness the dystopian cyberpunk world again. It's easily my favorite subtype of sci-fi. It's really a shame it hasn't had much exposure in live-action. The visuals and landscapes it provides are breathtaking. Blade Runner was and still is a technical marvel today. If Ridley hasn't lost his touch, I can only imagine what he could pull off with the plethora of tools at his disposal. Until Cameron gets to work on Battle Angel, this could be feature one of the most fascinating cinematic worlds yet.

Incidentally here's a few concept art from a videogame that's inspired by Blade Runner. It's a future Paris. More here.

EQH1j.jpg

Rdwpl.jpg

p6qyl.jpg

Whose jaw wouldn't drop at seeing that realistically pulled off on the big-screen?

if ridley scott thinks he can do it, then he should try. i'll give him that.

I can't believe it this awesome news.

Kinda looking forward to this...I thought the first film was OK....

What I like about Scott's head is that he sees Blade Runner and Alien as possibly the same universe. He said it in a commentary for one of them--think it was BR--that he could imagine the space truckers of Alien coming back from a long mission and kicking back in the Snake Lounge.

Say you love it, C. Lee. SAY IT.
Interesting idea...but there's a big difference it the time setting...with some retooling of things it might work....

That must have been class. I was lucky enough to catch the Final Cut on the big screen, which suited me fine due to the lack of Ford's tired narration.
For those who never saw the original movie in the theaters....there were two slight changes in it from subsequent releases....(1)when Rachael shot Leon, the scene was shot more from the side, so the bullet exit from his head was not as graphic.....(2) when Batty killed Tyrell, it didn't have the close up on his face with the blood coming from the eyes.

Personally don't mind the narration....but that may be because I'm so used to it now. I'm glad he finally changed the one thing that always nagged me (the number of replicants that were on Earth) in the final cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"