BOUGHT/THOUGHT May 9th

More Thoughts:

The Secret #4: This is the final issue of this four part horror comic; and, while it's nothing original, it's better than the horror comics that Wildstorm puts out. The art works really well depicting the eerieness of the book, especially this last issue where the group of kids finally go into the madman's house and discover what horrors await them inside. Unlike other books, the artist knows it doesn't have to go heavily into the sex and gore...that the darkness of the art is more efffective in displaying the thrills the book delivers. If you're into the horror genre, then this series delivers quite effectively. 8/10

Madame Mirage First Look: Top Cow doesn't give the reader much for their supposed bargain price of 99 cents. This first look is only seven pages long and is more the type of thing you'd find at the end of a regular comic in trying to promote something new. This promotion is so slim in amount of material, it's hard to give an adequate review. I'll just say it did look interesting enough to make me want to buy issue #1. It gets a low score, because the hint at value for such a low price just isn't there for the amount of material they give. 6/10

Friday the 13th #6: After reading this last issue, I feel like I need a good bath. I can say unless I read differently from another reviewer in the future, my interest in Wildstorm's horror line has ended as quickly as it began....and, this issue is the worst of them all. This comic has no redeeming value except to give the reader a mixture of sex and violence unlike anything you'll read in comics today. (And, the sex is combined in a way with the violence, it makes it that much more horrid.) This is utter crap and the writer and artist should feel revolted by what they produced. (I feel revolted that I picked this comic up and my need to see a storyline come to a conclusion.) 1/10

Blade #9: Do you know what the most difficult part of reading this issue of Blade was? The Letter Page. Why? Because, there are actually people writing in to Marvel kissing the butts of the people who put this comic out. This comic is so bad, they quote the cover artist on the cover, saying "I'm kind of a hack, but Blade is cool."

The issue itself is subpar for the course. We get a special appearance by Union Jack, who I'd normally be interested in; but, the art is still the worst I've seen from Marvel and the continual Lost-style technique of having flashbacks throughout the comic is more distracting than interesting. The biggest crime concerning this book? The fact it's now lasted longer than Slott's The Thing. 4/10

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #2: Kinda Marvel Adventures meets the Marvel 616, if you are longing for the days of light-hearted entertainment not bogged down with Civil War, Decemation, World War Hulk, Annihilation, or The Initiative, this book is for you! The plot is simple: An alien race, known as the H'moj, has assimilated themselves to their human hosts, and it's up to Spidey and the F4 to save the day. Best of all, this mini has all that old F4 and Spidey humor that old readers of their comics will remember with great fondness. 8/10

Ghost Rider #11: The conclusion to the Sleepy Hollow storyline, and it's a good, old fashioned, knock-down, drag-out fight between Ghost Rider and Jack O' Lantern. I liked the art, liked the humor...and, while it's isn't anything of substance, it's fun; and, really, that's simply what a comic should be sometimes. 8/10

Marvel Zombies - Dead Days: As Marvel tries to overzombiefy us, they at least get back to the original feel of Marvel Zombies with this one-shot partially explaining how their world became infected. This comic does away with the humor we've seen lately, and I wish they would have spent more time making this into a miniseries rather than the Marvel Zombies/Army of Darkness crossover. Some aspects of the comic could have been expanded on and made the reader feel more of the pain the superheroes had to endure. This does feel a bit rushed...and, it's ending wasn't one I liked or believed. (This is in regards to Reed Richards.) 7/10

Yeah, I LOATHED Civil War and hate the post Civil War Setting, and even I can see why the writers had to let Rich come home long enough to react. #2 was very well done all around despite the misleading cover. Nice to see Tony actually try the carot instead of the stick, but as you point out, if Nova had been at his old power level, that might not have been the case.

Another thing to notice; throughout CW, Iron Man was amung those who perpetuated the bashing of the New Warriors, a trend that continues into his Initiative boot camp, which is throwing semi-trained superhuman teens into battles without knowing all about their powers and even telling them to use equipment they've never used before; and this is morally superior to the NW simply because they were doing it for their reality TV show? COPS is a reality TV show (the grand-daddy of many, in fact), does that negate all the good policework done on it? But as soon as "Level 12 Threat" Nova shows up, all of a sudden Stark feels it's bad that the NW's have gotten a bad rap and uses that as a carrot to get Rich to agree to sign up. Again, Stark is both a businessman and a diplomat, and both entail being shrewd and changing your tune to suit what your audience wants to hear...but for those of us who've seen all his sins to win the war, it's worth noting.

It's the "they're like us" part that throws me. What does that mean? If he's talking immortality, then I'm confused because while the Iron Fist legacy can be immortal, Danny and Orson are not, but it's implied that the other five are. So does "like us" mean "fellow Iron Fists"? It's really not clear yet.

I'll tell you one thing, though: I can't wait to get further into it.

Me neither.

I think the "immortal" part of "immortal weapon" simply means the legacy. For K'un L'un, there will always be an Iron Fist, but not necessarily the same Iron Fist. We know that K'un Zi's weapon is also not literally immortal because we just learned that Davos only recently became the current weapon of K'un Zi and we saw Orson kill one of the previous ones. We haven't seen much of the other five cities' weapons, but I'm guessing they're not going to be the same people as the weapons who attacked Orson. Taken in the context of each city having a title for its weapon that is bestowed on various people throughout the ages, "they're like us" probably just meant that those people were the weapons at that moment, much like Danny is the weapon at this moment for K'un L'un. That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

Also, nobody seemed to notice before: What's the deal with Luke Cage being all chummy with Misty Knight and Colleen Wing? I thought the latter two were supposed to be busting his jive-talkin' ass.

Professional curtesy?

Anyway, good recap about the IIF stuff. It's more in depth than I cared to type about.

Another thing to notice; throughout CW, Iron Man was amung those who perpetuated the bashing of the New Warriors, a trend that continues into his Initiative boot camp, which is throwing semi-trained superhuman teens into battles without knowing all about their powers and even telling them to use equipment they've never used before; and this is morally superior to the NW simply because they were doing it for their reality TV show? COPS is a reality TV show (the grand-daddy of many, in fact), does that negate all the good policework done on it? But as soon as "Level 12 Threat" Nova shows up, all of a sudden Stark feels it's bad that the NW's have gotten a bad rap and uses that as a carrot to get Rich to agree to sign up. Again, Stark is both a businessman and a diplomat, and both entail being shrewd and changing your tune to suit what your audience wants to hear...but for those of us who've seen all his sins to win the war, it's worth noting.

I'm kind of curious why you think Stark can't be sorry that he uses the New Warriors as the motivational tool for his Initiative?

I'm sure most drill sergeants kind of feel bad they go to work everybody, literally rip down the old confidence of a recruit, only to build it back up, usually through stereotypes like calling them girls and such.

If there were a simple, more efficient way, I'm sure it'd be employed. However, utilizing a well known fact that the New Warriors got a bunch of people killed as a motivation to raise the bar doesn't really seem all that illogical. Depressing for the user, most likely, but still something that would be very useful.

Now, if we're simply assuming that Stark is innately evil, and can only be a heartless sentinel that loves punching children, then disregard.

New Avengers #30

A lot of the goodwill that Bendis built up from the last few issues he lost for me on this one. I mean, seriously Cage's whole diatribe about how all those events must be linked up came off silly. Never mind that that is the route, Bendis will go, Cage came off as a guy desperately looking for some kind of way to win a war that was already over.

Plus the NA got their asses kicked by a bunch of Ninja's, partly due to Cage's leadership.

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #2

This mini-series is brilliant. Its got an old-school feel to it through and through. The writing is energetic and funny and its got a friend of mine, who doesn't even like the FF hooked.

Parker remembers a day when comics used to be fun.

The best Spider-Man or Fantastic Four book out there right now.

Black Panther #24

Well, I've got some sheep tendencies. I'll admit it. I picked this up for the Marvel Zombies.

The story was alright, some evil alien bug stuff going on in the 42 prison, simple enough. I will say this whole team-up lacks any real dynamic. I mean there's respect for each other on all sides, but they're nothing more than friendly co-workers (or in Storm's case cordial). They don't have the family aspect the real FF do, or the professional superhero team that the Avengers exude.

Whatever, Also T'Challa's refusal for S.H.I.E.L.D., Avengers, or any sort of help came off as irrational.

Countdown #51

Nice start, but I'll have to wait until the story gets moving before any real judgment can be made.

I still have to get Marvel Zombies: Dead Days. Hopefully in a day or two.

Yeah, I thought that the "immortal champions" weren't Iron Fists themselves but other beings from K'un L'un. The Iron Fist's are "immortal" because there is a legacy of them and because, I guess, they can use their chi to live a long time, or at least maintain fighting vigor (as Orson was fully grown in WWII and after 60 years he can still fight pretty well for a guy who'd have to be in his 80's or 90's at least). A little conveluted because stuff is still a mystery, but the good parts far outweigh any conclusion. I just wonder how Hydra got past Bendis' golden boy Cage.

Yeah, that's what I also thought.

It's the "they're like us" part that throws me. What does that mean? If he's talking immortality, then I'm confused because while the Iron Fist legacy can be immortal, Danny and Orson are not, but it's implied that the other five are. So does "like us" mean "fellow Iron Fists"? It's really not clear yet.

I'll tell you one thing, though: I can't wait to get further into it.

Orson is immortal, it's Danny that isn't. Danny refused to have immortality to instead seek revenge on his father's killer. I agree it isn't clear yet, but I guess we'll learn more about the "Immortal Weapons" in the second arc.

I think the "immortal" part of "immortal weapon" simply means the legacy. For K'un L'un, there will always be an Iron Fist, but not necessarily the same Iron Fist. We know that K'un Zi's weapon is also not literally immortal because we just learned that Davos only recently became the current weapon of K'un Zi and we saw Orson kill one of the previous ones. We haven't seen much of the other five cities' weapons, but I'm guessing they're not going to be the same people as the weapons who attacked Orson. Taken in the context of each city having a title for its weapon that is bestowed on various people throughout the ages, "they're like us" probably just meant that those people were the weapons at that moment, much like Danny is the weapon at this moment for K'un L'un. That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

Well said. But while giving the "Iron Fist secrets of kung fu book" to Danny, Orson stated Danny will have to prepare for what's next. So I think that the "Immortal Weapons" will be the same ones that went for Orson and will take part of the tradition, that tradition being the martial arts tournament for the second arc. Danny will participate in it and have to face the seven champions.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Also, nobody seemed to notice before: What's the deal with Luke Cage being all chummy with Misty Knight and Colleen Wing? I thought the latter two were supposed to be busting his jive-talkin' ass.

If your reading Heroes for Hire, Misty said that even thought she and the team are supposed to be hunting down registered heroes, she won't go after people like Cap, and ofcourse Danny and Luke. So that's why I think everything was ok between them.

In Marvel Zombies Dead Days, who is the person Magneto was talking about?

I'm not much of a fan of Chaykin's style. I don't know exactly why he's so highly regarded. I could see it being more for his writing or layouts or that he just happened to find the perfect project for his style or something. I've always thought his art looks kind of like Frank Miller's current work, and I think Miller's current work is pretty asstastic.

Is it still Chaykin? Because I tell you, all I hear about him is how he's a legend and such a great artist but his Marvel work is less than impressive.

I replied to these already, but at the shop today, I picked up the latest issue of Blade. I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I like Chaykin's work. I liked it 10 years ago, and I like the new stuff in Blade. I don't see what you guys are on about, really.

I don't really feel like doing giant reviews since it's late in the week, so I'm just gonna throw out some thoughts:

New Avengers/New X-Men- Interesting how everything's coming back to House of M, huh? I like that. House of M had a few problems, but it was a great story and I feel like its ramifications weren't explored enough. Great to see that Civil War was almost a catalyst for bringing several of its occurrences to life.

Thunderbolts- Deodato has found his book. His style is a perfect fit. Really hope he and Ellis spend a good amount of time on this book.

Black Panther- Fun stuff. Great art (who is this guy?). I hope Niko stays on covers, because they're fantastic. I'm a big fan of Pride of Baghdad. Hudlin took a long time finding his tone, but if this keeps up, I'll stick around.

Amazing Spider-Man- This arc is really great. Hope it ends as solid as it's been going.

Punisher War Journal- Frank's crazy, so is this book. Loving the premise behind this arc.

Um, opinions?

Oh, yeah I know. It's just that I don't understand this one as much. I like Scottie Young's stuff, but Corp doesn't and I can see why. With Chaykin it just looks like comic book art to me. Sure, he's got his own style, but I don't see it as being so extreme or deviated from standard comic book art to warrant some of the hugely negative opinions I've read. If you don't like his art, that's fine. I'm not going to argue over it. It's just my opinion that I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Now, I didn't actually read Blade, but from what little Guggenheim I've read, I thought was decent. His Wolverine arc wasn't bad (minus the regeneration ordeal). I might give the book a go if I find myself with some extra cash.

Annihilation - When this event debuted, I didn't have the pocket change to pick it up. I also didn't have a lot of time to spare, I was left to quickly skim through the books as they were released at the comic book store. That, and reading reviews and various postings here on the Hype kept me current as to what was happening out there in space. As per usual, I made my weekend trip to the flea market and my guy there had the complete Annihilation run available (Nova, Silver Surfer, Ronan, Super Skrull and Annihilation proper), all 20% off the cover price. I picked it up.

The obvious comparison will be to Civil War. They happened at the same time, with Civil War naturally taking the lion's share of readers and press. One of things people either loved or hated about Civil War were the political overtones. The same people that comdemned CW for that, praised Annihilation for it's straightfoward, cosmically epic tale. What's funny is that Annihilation is full of political allegories, yet Giffen's story is not one that revolves around them. The Kree's merchant leaders were obvious stand ins for the Bush administration and their "big business" image. Like the Bushies, the Kree leadership is completely useless when it comes to actually leading their people. Instead, they make poor war decisions at the cost of many of their people, and are too blinded by their own power to recognize that. Sound familiar?

But that's not the bulk of the story. Really what Annihilation is about is Nova's rise to being a complete bad ass. This is epic **** here. It's not the world that's threatened. No. It's existence as we know it. The entire universe's defense is led by a scruffy kid from Long Island. Classic Marvel at it's finest. And along the way, we get to see Drax (who steals the show for me) stab his way to Thanos, Ronan assume leadership of most of the Kree homeworld AND we get ex-Starlord Peter Quills rounding it out as the voice of reason. That's a ****ing nice cast there, Giffen. :up:

And speaking of Giffen, he handles the Annihilation mini very well. This is a war story. It's brutal and the stakes could not be any higher. You really get a very good idea of what it's like for Nova, Peter and the rest to be constantly retreating and being pushed back for the better part of a year. And while reading it, I couldn't help but think of all the heroes back on Earth bickering about a piece of U.S. legislation. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Civil War for what it was, but this really puts things into perspective. There are events like CW and then there are events like Annihilation. For all you guys who were reading both at the same time, I now get your feelings about CW a little better. It really does seem just...insignificant.

I'm not going to any further into it. Annihilation was certainly worth every penny and then some. I know this review is about 3 month's too late, but sometimes my wallet makes me a little late to the party.

Can someone pass the chips? :cwink:

Nova #1-2 - Now, that's how you start off a series. Abnett and Lanning have such a handle on Nova it's astonishing. Great characterization with everyone. You've read it. Now I've read it. It's good. :up:

Annihilation - When this event debuted, I didn't have the pocket change to pick it up. I also didn't have a lot of time to spare, I was left to quickly skim through the books as they were released at the comic book store. That, and reading reviews and various postings here on the Hype kept me current as to what was happening out there in space. As per usual, I made my weekend trip to the flea market and my guy there had the complete Annihilation run available (Nova, Silver Surfer, Ronan, Super Skrull and Annihilation proper), all 20% off the cover price. I picked it up.

The obvious comparison will be to Civil War. They happened at the same time, with Civil War naturally taking the lion's share of readers and press. One of things people either loved or hated about Civil War were the political overtones. The same people that comdemned CW for that, praised Annihilation for it's straightfoward, cosmically epic tale. What's funny is that Annihilation is full of political allegories, yet Giffen's story is not one that revolves around them. The Kree's merchant leaders were obvious stand ins for the Bush administration and their "big business" image. Like the Bushies, the Kree leadership is completely useless when it comes to actually leading their people. Instead, they make poor war decisions at the cost of many of their people, and are too blinded by their own power to recognize that. Sound familiar?

But that's not the bulk of the story. Really what Annihilation is about is Nova's rise to being a complete bad ass. This is epic **** here. It's not the world that's threatened. No. It's existence as we know it. The entire universe's defense is led by a scruffy kid from Long Island. Classic Marvel at it's finest. And along the way, we get to see Drax (who steals the show for me) stab his way to Thanos, Ronan assume leadership of most of the Kree homeworld AND we get ex-Starlord Peter Quills rounding it out as the voice of reason. That's a ****ing nice cast there, Giffen. :up:

And speaking of Giffen, he handles the Annihilation mini very well. This is a war story. It's brutal and the stakes could not be any higher. You really get a very good idea of what it's like for Nova, Peter and the rest to be constantly retreating and being pushed back for the better part of a year. And while reading it, I couldn't help but think of all the heroes back on Earth bickering about a piece of U.S. legislation. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Civil War for what it was, but this really puts things into perspective. There are events like CW and then there are events like Annihilation. For all you guys who were reading both at the same time, I now get your feelings about CW a little better. It really does seem just...insignificant.

I'm not going to any further into it. Annihilation was certainly worth every penny and then some. I know this review is about 3 month's too late, but sometimes my wallet makes me a little late to the party.

Can someone pass the chips? :cwink:

Chip's Ahoy!

Glad you're finally aboard on ANNIHILATION, it was quite incredible. The evolution of Nova, which continues in his new ongoing, was also a large reason why I enjoyed it. Space stories, done well, have always involved some topical allegory, just they aren't as literal or exaggerated as when Mark Millar does them in 616.

I'm about a week late for this next one, but:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN FCBD 2007 - "SWING SHIFT": Yes, I know, FCBD was last week. I missed it and thus this comic, but fortunately, my good friend Dew K Mosi sent me a copy in the mail, and I read it tonight. Naturally, it's a story that is seperate from about the past year or so of continuity by Dan Slott and Phil Jimenez. It was one I was eagerly looking forward to, as if it was a one-shot I'd have to pay for. Hell, I'd have easily paid $3 for this, because it's just as good as any Spider-Man story I've read in the past year, no, I dare say it is aces better. If any piece of text or paper were needed to convince both fans and Marvel's editorial dept. that Slott's destiny is to write Spider-Man, it is THIS. The man makes it look so easy when we know it's not. As these FCBD's are usually loosely intended to attract people who don't usually go to comic book stores, they usually involve stories where you don't need to be incredibly continuity savvy to get them, and "SWING SHIFT" is no exception. Hell, in this story, I'd argue if Aunt May even knows that Peter is Spider-Man, and that's been a current bit for at least 3 years. MJ isn't really seen or mentioned, and she's his wife. Granted, this comic has one could say continuity by omission. No where does it state that Peter ISN'T married to MJ or that May DOESN'T know his secret, it simply isn't mentioned. There is a scene in the Bar-With-No-Name that also is full of these little continuity tidbits. It has Hydro-Man, circa 2004-2005, and yet is also has King Cobra in a costume he hasn't worn in 20 years. Granted, PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #3 had the same hassles (Grizzly returned to his old costume despite upgrading in UNDERWORLD), so it's not so much of a biggie. And the fact that Slott matches the feel of a Spider-Man comic yet allows the story to move about beyond simply Spidey vs. the villian of the week. We see JJJ, Robbie & Betty at the Bugle, and it feels like forever since we've seen 'em, or at least I have. The Bar scene allows a hint at the supervillian community (Ox is there too, but there are two Ox's, so it fits I guess) in which they literally take bets from a bookie on whether or not Spider-Man, who they all have battled against, loses to the new villian, Overdrive. The gimmick here is while Overdrive, who essentially is a guy in a helmet driving a suped up car (like Knight Rider, only evil) who has stolen something from a museum for a boss named Mr. Negative, but who is also a thrillseeker and a Spider-Man fan, so when the web-slinger himself postpones his Aunt's birthday and a feast of lemon cake to stop him, he's almost as excited to meet web-head as he is to try to kill him. Granted, aside for having your standard "electro-shock" and "flame exhaust" button, Overdrive isn't much of a villian, and naturally Spider-Man overcomes him before 22 pages are done. But for me the biggest bit was another "new" character here, a heroine named Jackpot. She's stacked like a supermodel, with red hair, green eyes, and calls Spider-Man "tiger" when he swings off. My first thought was, "Mary Jane!? Is she a superhero now?" I mean she's a dead ringer for MJ, if she wore one of those Marvel Girl masks. That of course leaves the question, how did MJ gain any powers, and if not, why is she supposedly a hero who has "gotten good press"? Granted, all she does in this comic is shove a man out of the way of a flying car, a feat that is in no way superhuman. Hell, all Mockingbird had was athleticism, a big mouth and a bo-staff and she was an Avenger for ages. Is this THE MJ or, say, one from some alternate reality (don't think Spidey deals with alternate realities? Guess you haven't read PAD's FNSM for a while. "Retcon Bombs" indeed)? All this said, and against my greater judgement, I think it could be interesting if MJ tried her hand at superheroing. I mean, lord knows we have had almost 25 years of her being "the doting/whiney/sexy at times wife who sits at home and worries". Whenever someone asks about ideas to spice up their dynamic, they usually revolve around death or divorce. This is neither. Of course, it does seem odd if Spider-Man can't even recognize his own wife in what is essentially a domino mask, but then again, glasses and adjusting a few locks of curls have always worked for Superman & Wonder Woman, and lord knows Nightwing or Robin's masks have never been terribly large. It's comics and one of the things that makes Slott great is he works with the conventions of comic books, vs. feeling the need to apologize for them or treat them as something "from a cornier yesteryear" like too many writers do to feel "fresh". I've long bemoaned the fact that MJ makes being the wife of a superhero seem horribly boring, and this new spin on that, if that is indeed what Jackpot is, is a fun idea that I would be skeptical if another writer did, but I could see Slott pulling it off.

Spider-Man uses all of his old school powers here as well as his wisecracks and Slott even has that mix of New Yorkers who either love or hate Spider-Man, including two cops (the pro-Spidey vet and the anti-Spidey rookie).

Naturally, if Slott were on a mainstream book, he would have to contend with current continuity, such as May knowing who Spider-Man is, and so does all of NYC (especially as Iron Man and others are passing it out willy-nilly, just see Nova #2). But, one of the positive changes to his status quo, one overlooked sometimes with all the bad focus on mysticism, Sin's Past, and new powers, is that Peter teaches at a high school, a setting that is a gold mine for new supporting characters to replace ones who are dead, like Harry or Gwen, or ones who haven't been viable in ages, like Liz Allen, or rehashing crap with Flash Thompson. Slott created an entire cast of supporting characters for SHE-HULK and I have no doubt he could do the same for Spidey. As for continuity, he obviously could use current stuff, as he is doing in AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE, but it is possible he could have a book with his own, much like Jeff Parker's SPIDER-MAN AND THE FANTASTIC FOUR mini, perhaps taking place 1-2 years ago before the unmasking. I mean if we can have X-books that take place in the Silver Age, why not that?

Anyway, great book, and get Slott on the wall-crawler, pronto! Because with him, he really has hit the jackpot.

Oooo, that was terrible. :o

Man this thread is late review city. :cwink:

Another falls to the might that is Slott on Spider-Man! If there was ever anything so common sense, it's this. Why he has't been writing a Spidey-book for years now, I don't know.

Marvel needs to put out at least one continuity Spider-Man book with this style and tone. Lord knows we'd all eat it up and praise it like the Second Coming. And it's so easily done, too. I've mentioned before that's it's formulaic as hell, but the formula works. It's a great formula. Use it, Marvel, don't ignore it in favor of "grim, edgy tales." While that's cool sometimes, everyone needs a little lighthearted Spider-Man story in there lives. And by lighthearted, I'm not refering to MA Spider-Man. That's a good book, but it's not the 616 Spider-Man I grew up on. Nor is Ultimate Spider-Man, which makes me shudder at the thought of what's it devolved into.

Dan Slott. Spider-Man. You know you want to, Marvel.

Man this thread is late review city. :cwink:

Another falls to the might that is Slott on Spider-Man! If there was ever anything so common sense, it's this. Why he has't been writing a Spidey-book for years now, I don't know.

Marvel needs to put out at least one continuity Spider-Man book with this style and tone. Lord knows we'd all eat it up and praise it like the Second Coming. And it's so easily done, too. I've mentioned before that's it's formulaic as hell, but the formula works. It's a great formula. Use it, Marvel, don't ignore it in favor of "grim, edgy tales." While that's cool sometimes, everyone needs a little lighthearted Spider-Man story in there lives. And by lighthearted, I'm not refering to MA Spider-Man. That's a good book, but it's not the 616 Spider-Man I grew up on. Nor is Ultimate Spider-Man, which makes me shudder at the thought of what's it devolved into.

Dan Slott. Spider-Man. You know you want to, Marvel.

Hey, I've felt Slott would be gold on Spider-Man for at least a year. This simply is undeniable proof.

I think, to play Devil's Advocate, that Marvel realizes there is some demand for "old school" Spider-Man that isn't Marvel Adventures or Ultimate, I mean why else put out SPIDER-MAN & THE FANTASTIC FOUR or even stuff like SPIDER-MAN: RED AND WHITE AND BLUE ALL OVER or even, to some extent, SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED for several years.

I think if AVENGERS: INITIATIVE is a runaway hit like Marvel wants, Slott getting on Spidey will become a reality. Sadly, 2 books is his "comfort zone", so he would have to dump one book for Spider-Man, lest be burried by delay.

But all worries for another day. Bring it on, Marvel.

Iron Fist #5 - Despite the weak chapter that was issue 3,the pacing on this book has been solid the last 2 issues.Love Aja's creativity with the action scenes.Orson's become a very rich character,nice to know Matt and Ed are going to be digging into his past in the future.Looking forward to not only the conclusion,but the one shot coming up and the Competition arc.Love this book.

Punisher War Journal #7
- Fraction knows how to address real world issues in his comics without being so heavy handed (eg.Hudlin's awkward use of Hurrican Katrina in Panther).I've said it before,I'm really enjoying Matt's twisted take on Frank.He does a good job of balancing the darker elements of the story while throwing in alot of hilarious scenes and ridiculous situations.Since the CW tie-ins,and like Iron Fist,I'm really liking the variety I'm getting with this book.Fraction switches it up every issue and it's obvious he's having a good time with thie book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"