• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brad Bird Shakes Up "1906"

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Posted: Thursday February 22nd 2007 7:14am
Source: Slash Film
Author: Garth Franklin

Animated feature helmer Brad Bird ("The Incredibles," "The Iron Giant") is rumoured to be tackling a live action adaptation of James Dalessandro's novel "1906" reports Slashfim.

The story is set around the great San Francisco earthquake and city fire told by a young reporter who delves into the corruption and greed within the city that helped fuel the disaster.

At one point Barry Levinson was in line to direct the Warner Bros. film. Bird is expected to start work after he completes Pixar's upcoming feature "Ratatouille".

Brad Bird was willing to do live action???

Crap! He could have saved Fantastic Four and Transformers from mediocrity.

Cool another Brad Bird movie.

Will be interesting to see how well he does with live action, since his animated movies rock.

Brad Bird's historical earthquake epic 1906 is in development at Pixar and in partnership with another studio. The film will mix live action and CG..."

Brad Bird's 1906 Moving Forward
Source: The Hollywood Reporter March 13, 2008

It was revealed a while ago that Brad Bird (Ratatouille, The Incredibles) was going to make his live-action feature directorial debut with 1906, but now The Hollywood Reporter adds that the film will be a co-production between Warner Bros. and Disney/Pixar.

The story centers on a college student who begins to investigate the murder of his father, uncovering a web of deceit that has left the city vulnerable to the sort of fire that breaks out when the Great Earthquake of 1906 hits San Francisco.

Bird is rewriting the original John Logan script.

Paula Weinstein is producing the feature, while John Walker, Bird's producing partner, executive produces. Disney/Pixar will co-finance the movie

Notice that he posted that six months before "Transformers" was released. Also notice that he's banned now.

Bird Offers “1906” Film & TV Series Update

By
Garth Franklin -

Tuesday, June 19th 2018 6:00 pm
http://cdn2.darkhorizons.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/brad-bird-avoid-gaming-aesthetic-on-film.jpg
It has been a long running passion project of “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol” and “Incredibles 2” director Brad Bird, and this week the filmmaker says he still very much hopes to eventually make his proposed live-action film adaptation of James Dalessandro’s novel “1906”.
Bird, who has been planning the project for at least a decade, tells Variety podcast Playback (via Collider) that he doesn’t just want to make a disaster film but rather deal with a huge, sprawling story about San Francisco in the early 1900s:
“It wants to be a longer story. It’s a really fascinating moment in history. Prior to the earthquake, San Francisco is this really happening city that’s somewhere between the Old West and the 20th Century. I mean, they still had bars where people were getting Shanghai’d – getting slipped Mickey Finns and you would wake up on a boat and if you didn’t work the boat, you’d be thrown overboard.
So that was still happening and the people who owned those kinds of bars were in the California legislature. In other words, it was somewhere between the Wild West and the sophisticated city San Francisco would like to see itself as, and was in many ways.”
Bird says the ambitiousness of the project has caused issues – the story too big for a film, but just on TV might lose the scope of the big screen:
“It’s this fascinating moment in history where gaslight and electric light were co-existing, and cars and horses were co-existing. Getting it in a movie-sized box, it’s too big a story for. If you do it for TV you’re missing the scale of motion pictures, so I keep trying to get it to kind of straddle these two worlds.
I love the movie experience and I would want the earthquake to be on a movie screen and yet I recognize that the story’s too [big], so I’m kind of trying to get it done as an amalgam and people are kind of intrigued by it. Warners wants to do the earthquake part of it as a movie, and we just can’t get it all under one roof. But I’m still fascinated by the story.
I’m still interested in it but I want it to be done in a way that embraces all the possibilities and yet somehow stays near or part of it or something on the big screen, so we’ll see what happens.”
Bird’s “Incredibles 2” is now playing in cinemas everywhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"