Bring back MX, (Muhammad X)

Eh, scans.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Muhammadx.JPG
    Muhammadx.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 46
Yo bring this dude back, he would be ill in the Outsiders.

Naw, he'd just be Token Black Angry Guy #14579, where every couple of issues he goes on a two-page rant about whatever written to subtly hint that he's a paranoid loon, and then Batman gives him orders and he follows them.

If you're gonna do it, give the guy his own book where he can kick Whitey's ass on his own terms.

And while you're at it, have Superman kick Whitey's ass too. If the world needs saving from space aliens go get the Fresh Prince and the Fly to do it, and let Superman solve a real problem somewhere for a change.

Naw, he'd just be Token Black Angry Guy #14579, where every couple of issues he goes on a two-page rant about whatever written to subtly hint that he's a paranoid loon, and then Batman gives him orders and he follows them.

If you're gonna do it, give the guy his own book where he can kick Whitey's ass on his own terms.

And while you're at it, have Superman kick Whitey's ass too. If the world needs saving from space aliens go get the Fresh Prince and the Fly to do it, and let Superman solve a real problem somewhere for a change.

damn.

We don't have enough to give good examples and he would "fit" as a hero not sponsored by a white guy, (John Henry Irons, John Stewart), Something I am tired of.

Why do we have to have "validation" by some white "oldhead" before a black hero can be seen as "legit?"
:dry:

This is a good point but Mr.Terrific and Black Lightning have been playing bigger roles in the big picture events lately.

Black Lightning in particular I would love to see more of. Love that he is on JLA. His powers are aesthetic, the character has had great development over the years, and the character has historical significance in the DCU and the comic industry. I was hoping he was going to be the leader of the JLA and i had thought he should be added to the "Trinity" and make it a Quartet :woot:

Angry black guys don't have to be Angry Black Guys. It's possible to write them appropriately. That book WildStorm did about the fake superhero team and the commies or whatever, that one did the angry black guy pretty well, I thought.

fifthfiend said:
I would agree with that. Black people are no longer a "new story concept" that needs to be introduced under the stewardship of a sure-thing like Batman or Superman.

fifthfiend said:
I can see that, but I'd argue that Batman is a much more applicable choice for that kind of justice. There's a letter in the back of Legends of the Dark Knight #50 that completely changed the way I thought about Batman, and I wish every creator who touches the character were required to read it. It's also the single best argument for why lettercols should be in every comic book.

I can see that, but I'd argue that Batman is a much more applicable choice for that kind of justice. There's a letter in the back of Legends of the Dark Knight #50 that completely changed the way I thought about Batman, and I wish every creator who touches the character were required to read it. It's also the single best argument for why lettercols should be in every comic book.

Batman's for beating up muggers and mob bosses. He lurks in shadows and inspires terror. Superman's supposed to be for sticking up for the little guy, cause the what the little guy needs is someone who can stand up to a mother****er with a briefcase backed by the full force of the law. Batman can only fight The Man in vicious little morally ambiguous ways around the edges. Superman can just stand up and say No, Capitalist Robber-Baron, you're not going to mistreat these employees / repo this guy's house / beat these demonstrators / throw this innocent dude in jail / etc., and deck any ****in' cop who tries to tell him no.

Batman is only more applicable if you assume standing up to power has to be mean and vicious and morally ambigous and angsty and all that ****. Me, I just want to see a dude in bright red, yellow and blue punch The Man in the face, an' tell him to stop being an *******.

this guy sounds like a closed minded racist *****e with a chip on his shoulder. i liked this story better when it was in GL #76

this guy sounds like a closed minded racist *****e with a chip on his shoulder. i liked this story better when it was in GL #76

Meh.

Not really the same thing,

But I'll go there.

In GL#76,.. Green Lantern is confronted by an old black man who bottom line accuses him of racism within his own race while giving a pass to alien races of other colors.

In Superman # 179,.. Superman is confronted in the middle of a superfeat by a blackman with Super powers who asks him why is he here when he has shown no interest in black people in Harlem before.

In Green Lantern, Hal Jordan is being force fed his faults by his friend Green Arrow. This award winning series involved the three of them (Black Canary too) dealing with issues on a road trip across the country.

In Superman Clark is forced to consider that he may be racist,.. or at least classist in that there are parts of the planet he just doesn't frequent. He'll Stop a tidal wave off India, but never step foot in ghetto Pittsburg. He may cruise Metropolis, But he doesn't go to Suicide slum unless he's summoned (jimmy Olson, Lois Lane, etc,..) He's ALWAYS above it all as Superman, and always in an Upper white middleclass setting as Clark.

It gets worse.

Superman goes and asks his wife,.. who kinda shrugs and says "of course you are not racist honey but I love you even more for thinking about it". He doesn't go to John Henry Irons or John Stewart who would give him an answer he may not want to hear, But goes to Irons niece, a young black girl just coming into her teens and who was in Awe of Superman.

She tells him of OTHER BLACK HEROES that he was never aware of. (Of course - none of us were, You can count well-known black heroes in DC on ONE HAND!)
And it doesn't occur to him to ask Batman about them, or seek them out, or check the JLA database, - HE reads as looking for someone to tell him that he's not a racist.

I see it as a BIG difference because GL cut to the chase and admitted he didn't have an answer - and was in the process of trying to change himself.

Superman went looking for validation for his obvious lack.

His hurt feelings are salved enough that when he again encounters X,... he has an answer.

He doesn't invite X to talk, He doesn't bring X up to ANYONE,... In the serious dust up that has been nonstop over the last two years in the DC Universe he doesn't look to this man or send the JLA to get him when they needed as many warm bodies as possible.

No one discusses the concept of ABM, because blacks know EXACTLY where it comes from and EVERYONE outside the experience assumes incorrectly.

It doesn't make you a close-minded racist to be opinionated based on your personal experience. This only happens when after you face evidence to the contrary you refuse to change.

Nothing in the story pointed to X hating white people, It was all pointed at Superman,.. and it wasn't hate, it was contempt for someone who he never sees down in with the ordinary people who need help too.

I really really wish DC would explore the four minority heroes mentioned in that story. I also want DC to expand X's world so he can move out of ABM into CBM.

Peace.

V.

This is a good point but Mr.Terrific and Black Lightning have been playing bigger roles in the big picture events lately.

Black Lightning in particular I would love to see more of. Love that he is on JLA. His powers are aesthetic, the character has had great development over the years, and the character has historical significance in the DCU and the comic industry. I was hoping he was going to be the leader of the JLA and i had thought he should be added to the "Trinity" and make it a Quartet :woot:

Hmmmn.

I don't think he wants it.

I only say it because he's been in charge (pun intended) before and was able to give it up each time w/o any indication that he didn't want to.

The character is Batman with no traumatic childhood, no advanced globetrotting education, but more physical training. If he could be bothered to learn a martial art,.... he would become dangerous.

If you add him to the trinity, it becomes an off balanced Quartet. Sorry to Say, Green Lantern or Zattana(sp) would be better choices for a forth.

V.

Hmmmn.

I don't think he wants it.

I only say it because he's been in charge (pun intended) before and was able to give it up each time w/o any indication that he didn't want to.

The character is Batman with no traumatic childhood, no advanced globetrotting education, but more physical training. If he could be bothered to learn a martial art,.... he would become dangerous.

If you add him to the trinity, it becomes an off balanced Quartet. Sorry to Say, Green Lantern or Zattana(sp) would be better choices for a forth.

V.

But hes not real,his actions are dictated by the writers which takes me to the original post that black characters are getting the chance to shine out of the shadow of their white sponsors.

As for the Quartet, I was thinking along the lines of historical significance and industry icon (one of the first major African-American superheroes) and his significance in the DCU: hes portrayed as one of the older, wiser, more respectable hero in the metahuman community, has a great sense of justice since he turned himself in for crimes committed during OYL, and has held multiple positions of power like White House staff (albeit for Luthor).

Power/abilities wise he might not have Batmans expertise or Supes power levels but visually (or editor's standpoint) his powers are visually appealing.

Batman's for beating up muggers and mob bosses.
You point out one significant difference between the rich white male power structure, and a bunch of muggers and mob bosses.

fifthfiend said:
He lurks in shadows and inspires terror.
So do those who run the world. He's a perfect match. Hell, unless he's fighting them, he probably IS one of them, as one of the wealthiest men in the DCU.

fifthfiend said:
Batman can only fight The Man in vicious little morally ambiguous ways around the edges. Superman can just stand up and say No, Capitalist Robber-Baron, you're not going to mistreat these employees / repo this guy's house / beat these demonstrators / throw this innocent dude in jail / etc., and deck any ****in' cop who tries to tell him no.

Batman is only more applicable if you assume standing up to power has to be mean and vicious and morally ambigous and angsty and all that ****. Me, I just want to see a dude in bright red, yellow and blue punch The Man in the face, an' tell him to stop being an *******.
We've seen, so many times, why that can't work. No, this takes Batman. This takes finesse. No one needs to know about this, no one can know about it. No hero needs to be smeared and crucified and demonized over this. Batman just does it quickly and quietly, and hey, look, there's a bunch of protections for low-income workers, and affordable housing for low-income families.

And you sound like a closed-minded racist *****e with a chip on your shoulder and no real understanding of race relations, poverty, or socioeconomics, and the way they work in this country. I liked this thread better before you had to go and say that.

Hmmmn.

Rush and Silence.

A team?

A Speester and someone who's powers are based on sound?

The Speedster could be any of the known "types" in DCU, Metabolic, Mutagenic, Dimensional, or Speedforce powered.

Silence could be a sound / Energy Transducer, gaining powers by how much sound he/she can absorb,.. with maximum draw causing a sphere of silence 100 yards in diameter, hence the name.

I guess power level would depend on storage capacity. If Modeled after Superman, Silence would continue to grow stronger and gain more powers as she/he gets older.

MEH,... DC is dropping the ball on this.

You point out one significant difference between the rich white male power structure, and a bunch of muggers and mob bosses.

A trillions-of-dollars payroll that funds the FBI, CIA, NSA, Secret Service, the Army, the Navy, the Air Force, the National Guard, the entire defense industry, and all broadcast and the majority of print media.

We've seen, so many times, why that can't work. No, this takes Batman. This takes finesse. No one needs to know about this, no one can know about it. No hero needs to be smeared and crucified and demonized over this. Batman just does it quickly and quietly, and hey, look, there's a bunch of protections for low-income workers, and affordable housing for low-income families.

No amount of finesse is gonna keep them sending the army after you if you run around terrorizing US Congressmen. I mean setting aside the issue of who's going to be demonized - though I suspect a guy who runs around dressed as a demon isn't gonna be the hardest mark for this - in my reading of political history, character assassination has tended to be a whole lot less effective than the other kind.

I mean I'm not saying they can't demonize Superman, I'm just saying what I'd like to see is a Superman who doesn't really give a **** whether anybody demonizes him. I'm not asking for Superman to rewrite US housing policy or pass a constitutional amendment or anything like that, he just needs to keep this bunch of protesters getting beat up by the cops, or this family getting thrown out of their house by bankers. It doesn't have to "work", except for a comic-book value of "work".

You know, I would like to see Superman rewrite US housing policies. For an entire five-issue arc.

Reread the comic.

X has a real good handle on his powers.

Man,.. I wonder what his upper limits are, what he does when he's not fighting crime?

A trillions-of-dollars payroll that funds the FBI, CIA, NSA, Secret Service, the Army, the Navy, the Air Force, the National Guard, the entire defense industry, and all broadcast and the majority of print media.

No amount of finesse is gonna keep them sending the army after you if you run around terrorizing US Congressmen. I mean setting aside the issue of who's going to be demonized - though I suspect a guy who runs around dressed as a demon isn't gonna be the hardest mark for this - in my reading of political history, character assassination has tended to be a whole lot less effective than the other kind.

I mean I'm not saying they can't demonize Superman, I'm just saying what I'd like to see is a Superman who doesn't really give a **** whether anybody demonizes him. I'm not asking for Superman to rewrite US housing policy or pass a constitutional amendment or anything like that, he just needs to keep this bunch of protesters getting beat up by the cops, or this family getting thrown out of their house by bankers. It doesn't have to "work", except for a comic-book value of "work".

Dude your superman sounds like he would spend to much time on little crap, and not enough on much more important issues. Superman can protect protestors, by telling them to find other ways to get their point accross. You want superman to stop a family from getting thrown out their house, tell them to pay their damn mortgage.

Dude your superman sounds like he would spend to much time on little crap, and not enough on much more important issues. Superman can protect protestors, by telling them to find other ways to get their point accross. You want superman to stop a family from getting thrown out their house, tell them to pay their damn mortgage.

Actually:

Superman could make millions of dollars by buying a sack of coal,.. then buy flat out as many houses as he wants then put all those folk in homes.

The reason he doesn't ties into that Boyscout upbringing.

V.

Actually:

Superman could make millions of dollars by buying a sack of coal,.. then buy flat out as many houses as he wants then put all those folk in homes.

V.

I dunno, Golden age superman beat down wife beaters, and did all that "protect the little guy" stuff, back then he was short tempered.

I dunno, Golden age superman beat down wife beaters, and did all that "protect the little guy" stuff, back then he was short tempered.

He also killed War criminals and did serious property damage,...

Good thing he has that pesky code against killing "anymore".

who in here is actually black?

Dude your superman sounds like he would spend to much time on little crap
Yeah, defending the defenseless is so dumb and low-level.

Eros said:
Superman can protect protestors, by telling them to find other ways to get their point accross.
Ah yes, the great American tradition of shutting the **** up and submitting to the authority of the government. Good to see the conservatives are still defending liberty by despising those who exercise it.

Eros said:
You want superman to stop a family from getting thrown out their house, tell them to pay their damn mortgage.
You want a family to pay their damn mortgage, tell the upper class to stop screwing them over and pay them the money and benefits that they deserve. Pencil-necked desk jockeys make millions every year while hard-working people all over this country and this world struggle for pennies. And it's because of people like you, who don't believe in hard work, who don't believe in the working class, who believe in nothing more than capitalism, competition, victory by any means necessary, and stepping on the little guy to win big.

I'm from about an hour and a half north of Smallville, and trust me, no one down there taught him that. He doesn't do it because he doesn't believe that direct interference is a wise plan (basically, he's the opposite of The Authority.)

Yeah, he was so stupid when he helped people in real, meaningful ways. What a dumbass, defending the defenseless. Such a sucker.

who in here is actually black?
I'm not, but does it matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"