Burglar eaten by alligator while fleeing police

Immortalfire

Nu.
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/deputies-alleged-burglar-killed-alligator-while-fl/npdzS/

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. — A burglary suspect was able to escape deputies, but not a hungry 11-foot alligator, Brevard County authorities said. Matthew Riggins’ body was identified on Monday after he was found in a Barefoot Bay lake on Nov. 23. Investigators said Riggins drowned as a result of an alligator attack while running from deputies.

Investigators said Riggins told his girlfriend on Nov. 13 that he and another man were going to burglarize homes in the area of Tequesta Drive in Barefoot Bay.
A witness called deputies after seeing two suspicious-looking men on Royal Palm Boulevard.

“Dispatch got a call from a resident that said they saw two males in all black walking behind residences,” said Maj. Tod Goodyear of the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office. Riggins and his alleged accomplice ran from deputies into a wooded area and were never found.

Deputies later learned Riggins had called his girlfriend while he was being chased. Riggins was reported missing to the Palm Bay Police Department the next day when he didn’t return home.

“It’s pretty crazy because first the burglary happened, and then we hear that someone died that possibly was involved,” said nearby resident Nick Pellizzi.
During the recovery of his body, which was spotted just north of Ocean Avenue Way, dive teams encountered an 11-foot alligator near the body.
Florida Fish and Wildlife caught the animal and had it euthanized.

Reports said that the, “forensic examination of the alligator located remains consistent with the injuries to Riggins inside the alligator’s stomach.”
“So at that point, we had a belief that he was probably attacked by the alligator when he was trying to get away from police,” said Goodyear.

Another reason not to run from the law.

Last edited:
Looks like that alligator took a bite out of crime. :awesome:

A feel good story for a feel good thread.

Looks like that alligator took a bite out of crime. :awesome:

You're still new here, so let me show you how this is done:

"Looks like that alligator ...

:cool:

"... took a bite out of crime."

I love FL so much, I saw this days ago in my Bookface feed. This damn state has it all I tell ya. Beaches, beautiful women, plenty of druggies doing stupid crap and ending up on the news for hilarious reasons. What more could you ask for from a state? Hell, I don't even pay a state tax here each year.

Not gonna lie, I read this as 'Burger eaten by alligator while fleeing police', lol.

Last edited:
Normally this is the kind of crazy story I would question but it has shown up on several legit news sites and appears to be legitimate. With that idiot who got eaten by an alligator a few months back after being warned there was one in the water and this one they might end up over taking sharks as man eaters this year.

Sad thing is that they had to kill the gator too.

Maybe the gator was made into a pair of shoes afterward. :hehe:

At first glance, I thought the thread was trying to say that an unlawful alligator stopped for some fast food sustenance in the beef variety while on the run from the authorities

People shouldn't go blundering into their habitat and then blame the animals for....being themselves.

But people are superior and they have all the rights and damn the environment and anything in it... or so the mentality goes.

This is no better than people who go into the ocean, get bitten by a shark then get mad at the shark when you are in it's territory. You aren't meant to be in the ocean so what gives you the right to demand it die?

Same goes for the gators, although typically it is in a swampy area and some developer decided it would make excellent housing or a new strip mall or some ******** like that.

And there is the often completely false assumption that we are so tasty that once a predator bites a human they will crave more. Like we're made of 100% cocaine or meth or something.

This is no better than people who go into the ocean, get bitten by a shark then get mad at the shark when you are in it's territory. You aren't meant to be in the ocean so what gives you the right to demand it die?

Exactly. I don't see any logic in "hey, this idiot on the run from police through the woods in the middle of the night stumbled into a swamp and got eaten by an alligator. Better kill the alligator!"

I saw a video once where these idiot tourists were bumbling around in the Florida Everglades on foot somewhere and came across this huge gator guarding its eggs, freaked out, and went screaming back to the police, who came back and euthanized the mother gator because they decided she was sooo scary, I guess, and gave the eggs to some sanctuary.

This thing was not walking down the sidewalk in town, these idiots had to go hiking through the woods to find out. Maybe instead of euthanizing a gator that wasn't bothering anyone, just tell idiots not to go bumbling around the swamp in gator territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"