Cancelled shows of Tomorrow: The War on Chuck Lorre - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onto the next thread

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/fox-buys-diablo-codyfake-empire-drama/
Fox Buys Diablo Cody/Fake Empire Drama
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Oscar-winning Juno writer Diablo Cody is tackling another female teen protagonist, this time on TV. Fox has put in development Prodigy, a teen drama project written by Cody and produced by ABC Studios and Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage’s studio-based Fake Empire. It centers on a 16-year-old genius who through home schooling has been isolated from her peers. Hoping to experience a “normal” teen social life before she enters the adult world of academia, she enrolls in her local high school. But her experiment goes off the rails when she finds herself adopted by a wild crowd, getting caught up in a whirlwind of romance and crime. Cody and partner Mason Novick will executive produce alongside Schwartz, Savage and Fake Empire’s president of television Len Goldstein.

Prodigy reunites Schwartz and Savage with Fox for another teen drama exactly a decade after the network launched Schwartz’s first series, The O.C., on which Savage started as a producer before partnering with Schwartz in Fake Empire. This marks the fifth sale for Fake Empire since moving to ABC Studios earlier this year. The WME-repped company, which has the CW’s Hart Of Dixie and The Carrie Diaries on the air, previously sold four projects to ABC: dramas Sisterland from Rina Mimoun and Social Circle from Josh Safran; and comedies First Timers from Isaac Aptaker and Elizabeth Berger, and the untitled Ali Adler project. Cody, repped by WME, MXN Entertainment, and McKuin, Frankel, is currently developing her TBS talk show pilot Me Time With Diablo Cody. On the feature side, she recently made her directorial debut with Mandate Pictures’ upcoming Paradise which she also wrote.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/har...abc-studios-gets-put-pilot-commitment-at-fox/
Harry Connick Jr.-Starring Comedy From Worldwide Pants & ABC Studios Gets Put Pilot Commitment At Fox
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Fox is expanding its relationship with new American Idol judge Harry Connick Jr to the scripted side, handing a put pilot commitment to a multi-camera comedy starring the popular singer-actor. The untitled project, penned by veteran Late Show writers Eric Stangel & Justin Stangel, is a family comedy with a musical element starring Connick as a successful entertainer and single dad who takes time off to reconnect with his teenage daughter. David Letterman’s Worldwide Pants, where the Stangel bothers are under a development deal, is producing with ABC Studios. Connick Jr, the Stangels and Worldwide Pants’ Letterman, Rob Burnett and Ann Marie Wilkins executive produce.

This is the latest major commitment from an outside network for an ABC Studios comedy in the studio’s first season actively selling on the open marketplace. Both ABC’s new boss Patrick Moran and head of comedy Amy Hartwick came from 20th TV, which, while aligned with Fox, supplies all major broadcast networks, so the goal was to not let vertical integration stand in the way of finding ABC Studios’ comedy pitches the most suitable home. Their efforts resulted in four put pilot commitments at all other major networks — for the Harry Connick Jr project at Fox; workplace comedy The Pro starring Rob Lowe at NBC; and two half-hour projects at CBS, comedies from Jonathan Groff and Lee Eisenberg, Gene Stupnitsky & Danny Chun. Additionally, the studio had received an early pilot order for Dan Fogelman’s half-hour Galavant and a pilot production commitment for a comedy from June Diane Raphael, Casey Wilson & Groff at ABC.

This would mark Connick Jr’s first series regular role and a return to comedy after his high-profile recurring role on another multi-camera comedy, NBC’s Will & Grace. The Harry Connick Jr project landed at ABC Studios in a very competitive situation with two other studios vying for the show. It marks the first sale for the Stangels under the overall deal they inked with Late Show producer Worldwide Pants in January when they stepped down as head writers after a 14-year stint but remained writers on the CBS late-night show. Worldwide Pants’ highest-profile primetime series to date is CBS’ hit comedy Everybody Loves Raymond. Connick Jr. , Worldwide Pants and the Stangel Brothers are repped by CAA.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/bra...-age-comedy-for-abc-in-deal-with-big-penalty/
Brad Garrett To Star In, Co-Write Middle-Age Comedy For ABC In Deal With Big Penalty
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Brad Garrett, who starred in ABC/20th TV’s midseason comedy series How To Live With Your Parents, is back in business with ABC and 20th TV with a starring half-hour vehicle. The network has handed a pilot script commitment with significant penalty to When the Balls Drop, a single-camera comedy staring and co-written and executive produced by the Emmy-winning Everybody Loves Raymond alum. Inspired by Garrett’s forthcoming autobiographical book of the same name, When The Balls Drop is an honest look at life’s second half through the eyes of a divorced family man as he juggles home life, work, and the hilarious realities of middle-age. Garrett is co-writing with Chuck Tatham. The two are executive producing with Television 360′s Eryn Brown and Meghan Lyvers. Additionally, 20th TV has signed Garrett in a talent deal, allowing the studio to cast him in an existing pilot project should Balls not go to pilot. Garrett, currently guest starring on 20th TV’s new CBS series The Crazy Ones, is repped by Management 360, UTA and attorney Michael Gendler; Tatham is with WME and The Collective.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/nbc...vie-the-money-pit-with-justin-spitzer-amblin/
NBC Developing Comedy Based On Movie ‘The Money Pit’ With Justin Spitzer, Amblin
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: NBC has put in development The Money Pit, a comedy series based on the 1986 feature starring Tom Hanks and Shelley Long. Amblin Television, the TV division of Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment, which produced the movie with Universal Pictures, is producing the potential series with Universal Television. Former Office writer-producer Justin Spitzer, who is under an overall deal at Uni TV, will write the adaptation and executive produce with Amblin TV’s Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank. The movie, written by David Giler and directed by Richard Benjamin, starred Hanks and Long as a couple who are tricked into buying a distress-sale mansion that becomes the proverbial “money pit,” requiring an endless string of repairs. This is the second sale for UTA-repped Spitzer this season. He also has a Detroit auto company comedy with producer Aaron Kaplan that has a put pilot commitment at NBC, and comedy Start-Up in development at USA Network. Spitzer joined The Office at the beginning of Season 3, rising to co-executive producer. Amblin’s portfolio includes series The Americans, Under The Dome, Falling Skies, the just-canceled Lucky 7 and the upcoming Extant.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/nbc...-crime-thriller-from-ehren-kruger-john-glenn/
NBC Gives Pilot Order To Futuristic Crime Thriller From Ehren Kruger & John Glenn
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: NBC has given an an early pilot order to drama Tin Man, from top feature writer Ehren Kruger (The Ring and Transformers franchises). Set in the near future, Tin Man is a psychological crime thriller that focuses on a fugitive robot accused of first degree murder, who may hold the key to the future of human evolution, and the young female public defender forced to fight for his cause. Kruger knows a thing or two about bots in the future, having co-written the three Transformers sequels. This would mark his TV debut. It reunites Kruger with NBC chairman Bob Greenblatt for whom he worked as an assistant 17 years ago at Fox. Tin Man was brought to NBC and Universal TV by John Glenn through his Uni TV deal. Glenn will serve as an executive producer on the pilot alongside Kruger and Kruger’s partner Daniel Bobker (The Skeleton Key). This marks Glenn’s fourth project this season, including drama Conception, which has a put pilot commitment at NBC.

And we officially have our first cancelled series of the 13-14 season. Lucky 7 pulled after 2 episodes.

CBS's Hostages or FOX's Dads will next up.

Betrayal and Ironside are candidates as well.

Is Hostages doing that badly? :( I didn't bother with Ironside, I'm guessing it bombed?

I only watched Lucky 7, havent tried Hostages or Ironside.

I'll miss Lucky 7 :(

No, you won't. :o

I actually like Hostages.

No, you won't. :o
dpen.jpg

Man those numbers don't look very good for Michael J. Fox either.

The show that people seemed to have the least faith in is doing the best by far (The Crazy Ones is #1 new show this year).

I'm actually beginning to really love that show BTW.

Yeah, but that's kind of the story for all of NBC's Thursday night.

The show that people seemed to have the least faith in is doing the best by far (The Crazy Ones is #1 new show this year).

I'm actually beginning to really love that show BTW.

Ehhh...

I think it was because Gellar and Williams were like the kiss of death for stuff before this show came out.

Also Williams basically admitted he's doing this show because his ex-wife is taking all his money and he had to sell his $93 million home.

Someone doing something in Hollywood with the intention of getting paid for it?

That'll be the day. :o

I think Crazy Ones wasn't any where near the show that had the least amount of faith in it. I can see why some were skeptical, neither had a real hit show in awhile, and Williams hasn't even been on a regular tv show in years, but there was a fair amount of interest in it because they're well liked actors and the show looked at least interesting.

I'd say there were quite a few other shows out there that people had far less faith in, like Dads, Betrayal, Lucky 7, The Millers, Welcome to the Family, and such that would rank far lower.

I think one thing that people are starting to get tired of these days are shows that don't seem to have long term prospects. I mean really, who looks at shows like Betrayal, Hostages, or Lucky 7 and really believes they can get 5 or more seasons out of it?

I honestly have no idea why Lucky 7 was even given a series order. It sounded uninteresting, the trailers/promos for it looked uninteresting and clearly ABC was uninterested in putting any amount of effort into really promoting it. Why pick it up at all? It's like throwing a party, but not putting out any invitations and putting next to no effort into actually making it look like a party.

I think Crazy Ones wasn't any where near the show that had the least amount of faith in it. I can see why some were skeptical, neither had a real hit show in awhile, and Williams hasn't even been on a regular tv show in years, but there was a fair amount of interest in it because they're well liked actors and the show looked at least interesting.

I'd say there were quite a few other shows out there that people had far less faith in, like Dads, Betrayal, Lucky 7, The Millers, Welcome to the Family, and such that would rank far lower.

I think one thing that people are starting to get tired of these days are shows that don't seem to have long term prospects. I mean really, who looks at shows like Betrayal, Hostages, or Lucky 7 and really believes they can get 5 or more seasons out of it?
I said "the least faith in" not "no faith at all in." :oldrazz::o

Man those numbers don't look very good for Michael J. Fox either.
Totally agree, those numbers look shaky............

I think it was because Gellar and Williams were like the kiss of death for stuff before this show came out.

Also Williams basically admitted he's doing this show because his ex-wife is taking all his money and he had to sell his $93 million home.
I'm watching it despite her being in it, I like it but would enjoy it more if Williams' daughter was played by a different/better actress

*puts Doom on ignore*

Sawyer, was it the taste-less "parkinsons" joke or the Gellar bashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"