• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Child Labor in undeveloped countries can be a good thing.

Addendum said:
A paper route is a common idea, since kids ride their bikes. A completely different thing than working in coal mines, a steel mill or textile plant

Not really. Work is work.

What might be considered socially acceptable work is not the same with all cultures.

War Lord said:
Not at all. Many kids who deliver newspapers or work in their parent's businesses are younger than that.

:dry:

What is socially acceptable by having a kid mining coal?

Or did you fall asleep during the Industrial Revolution section of history class when they talked about child labor?

Sometimes I think conservatives block out everything that happened after the Industrial Revolution.

War Lord said:

What might be considered socially acceptable work is not the same with all cultures.

Did you seriously just compare a kid with a part-time paper route to a child that's forced to work in a coal mine for 12 hours a day, every day? Wow...

jag

War Lord said:
Not at all. Many kids who deliver newspapers or work in their parent's businesses are younger than that.

They get paid a decent wage and work in a safe enviroment, plus they aren't forced to work there by dictatorship.

War Lord said:

You claim to be a moral absolutist and you're using cultural relativism as an arguement?! Do have any idea how silly you sound?

Most of you can't comprehend what I'm saying.

Is it a good thing that children in some countrys have to work in sweat shops? NO!!!

It is however good when these children receive nutrition through their labor gathered from those sweatshops that they wouldn't otherwise receive. The typicial stance of the left is to let the government fix everything through tariffs and such, but the harm comes when sweatshops are closed and the children are left as the victims of starvation and malnutrition.

The "education is the most important thing in the world" blinders are being drawn up by most of the antagonist in this thread. Well, it's not. Food is the most important thing for a child. When that is taken away, and not replaced that is the most evil I can imagine.

I don't like child labor in sweat shops, but if it does bring food that wouldn't otherwise be there, then yes it is a good thing. Most of you probably had atleast 5 lbs. of processed food this week. It's easy to say it's evil these kids aren't getting an education, when you don't even go long enough between meals to even hear the slightest stomach grumble.

And as far as being raised on the farm, I cherish that expeirence and always will. I have gained so much expeirence from it that I could never gain from school. It's funny when people who have no clue how to the most simple work like changing brakes on a car. I tell you, you have missed out on an education.

It's funny because I can rebuild an engine in a car. It's funny because I can read and understand what C.S. Lewis is speaking about in the Abolition of Man. It's funny because I have a job in engineering, can read and draw any blue print language and still can weld a nicer bead than the people who are in tooling at my plant. It's funny that I go to the syphony regularly, and yet can still not cry if the "jiffy lube" isn't open. It's funny that I built most of my home myself, and still can appreciate art by Dali.

Don't lecture me on education, don't tell me what I missed out on. IMO, you a lot of you have been spoiled by your parents. And this is for the "guys", if you can't do the most rudimentry mechanical things such as changing your own oil and make no effort to learn so, then you are a man without a chest.

Now I know some of you like Superman, jag, and Mr. Sparkle haven't been spoiled and probably are good at what you do or will be doing, but if you are in college or high school living off of Mommy and Daddy, then you can't really tell me anything about the real world.:up:

I give a damn whether another person thinks I'm a "real man", especially since I prefer taking my car to a mechanic when something goes wrong.

Why? Because I would rather take my car to someone who knows what they're doing, rather than do it myself when I don't know how to fix it. Besides, it's a helluva lot quicker than buying "how to fix a car for dummies" and experimenting on the only wheels I have to get to work.

Man-Thing said:
Most of you can't comprehend what I'm saying.

Is it a good thing that children in some countrys have to work in sweat shops? NO!!!

It is however good when these children receive nutrition through their labor gathered from those sweatshops that they wouldn't otherwise receive. The typicial stance of the left is to let the government fix everything through tariffs and such, but the harm comes when sweatshops are closed and the children are left as the victims of starvation and malnutrition.

The "education is the most important thing in the world" blinders are being drawn up by most of the antagonist in this thread. Well, it's not. Food is the most important thing for a child. When that is taken away, and not replaced that is the most evil I can imagine.

I don't like child labor in sweat shops, but if it does bring food that wouldn't otherwise be there, then yes it is a good thing. Most of you probably had atleast 5 lbs. of processed food this week. It's easy to say it's evil these kids aren't getting an education, when you don't even go long enough between meals to even hear the slightest stomach grumble.

And as far as being raised on the farm, I cherish that expeirence and always will. I have gained so much expeirence from it that I could never gain from school. It's funny when people who have no clue how to the most simple work like changing brakes on a car. I tell you, you have missed out on an education.

It's funny because I can rebuild an engine in a car. It's funny because I can read and understand what C.S. Lewis is speaking about in the Abolition of Man. It's funny because I have a job in engineering, can read and draw any blue print language and still can weld a nicer bead than the people who are in tooling at my plant. It's funny that I go to the syphony regularly, and yet can still not cry if the "jiffy lube" isn't open. It's funny that I built most of my home myself, and still can appreciate art by Dali.

Don't lecture me on education, don't tell me what I missed out on. IMO, you a lot of you have been spoiled by your parents. And this is for the "guys", if you can't do the most rudimentry mechanical things such as changing your own oil and make no effort to learn so, then you are a man without a chest.

Now I know some of you like Superman, jag, and Mr. Sparkle haven't been spoiled and probably are good at what you do or will be doing, but if you are in college or high school living off of Mommy and Daddy, then you can't really tell me anything about the real world.:up:

Jonty still lives with his parents and he is a conservative. Does he know what he is talking about? Does he not have a chest?

You are saying child labour is a necessary evil, guess what its not. Nike can afford to pay adults at a decent wage in these countries, but chooses not to because they care more about making money than being moral. If these children were allowed to be educated though could really improve their country, but no wants that, the dictatorships want to keep their people weak and uineducated so they can control them and the companies don't want to lose a source of cheap labour.

If someone cared about these people, then child labour would end and these people would be fed, but no one cares about these people, not the companies and certainly not the governments that run these countries. Its both their selifish interest to keep these people weak, uneducated and dependent on sweat shops to survive because they don't want their stituation to improve for these people. Its completely unesscary and completely immoral. You're excuses for these companies and dictatorships, apologizing for them so they don't have to take moral responsibility for their actions, you are an apologist.

War Lord said:
There should be efforts to help those kids receive an education though.

Sesame Street is beginning to expand into third world countries. I saw a PBS special about it.

War Lord said:
No. Most of those countries simply don't have the capital to adequately feed their people. The heads of those governments, though many of them are corrupt, could live on absolutely nothing and still not have enough to provide for their people adequately.

The fact that Western countries can provide for their people is a result of hundreds of years of action that built up a foundation to do so. A foundation that could be gone in a fortnight if we let it.

Incorrect, there are tons of countries that could have been economic power houses if they their resources weren't plundered by dictators. The Democratic Republic of Congo had enough resources to make itself rich, but these riches were plundered by their corrupt leader, President Mobutu made a large personal fortune stealing the resources of his country. That country could have been well on its way it becomming a first world nation if it weren't his corrupt leaadership, now its poverty stricken, war torn country.

Plus are you seriously telling me that countries like China, Vietnam and Burma wouldn't a lot further along the economic development scale, if the governments in those countries actually gave a damn about their people, instead of trying to exploit them?

Besides what's stopping Nike from paying adults in these countries at decent wage? Nothing, except their selfish immorality. The governments and the companies want these people to remain weak, uneducated and dependent on these sweat shops, because they care selfish desire than the well being of these people. You're just making excuses for their immorality.

The Overlord said:
Jonty still lives with his parents and he is a conservative. Does he know what he is talking about? Does he not have a chest?

You are saying child labour is a necessary evil, guess what its not. Nike can afford to pay adults at a decent wage in these countries, but chooses not to because they care more about making money than being moral. If these children were allowed to be educated though could really improve their country, but no wants that, the dictatorships want to keep their people weak and uineducated so they can control them and the companies don't want to lose a source of cheap labour.

If someone cared about these people, then child labour would end and these people would be fed, but no one cares about these people, not the companies and certainly not the governments that run these countries. Its both their selifish interest to keep these people weak, uneducated and dependent on sweat shops to survive because they don't want their stituation to improve for these people. Its completely unesscary and completely immoral. You're excuses for these companies and dictatorships, apologizing for them so they don't have to take moral responsibility for their actions, you are an apologist.

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession about my living arrangements.

War Lord said:
You seem to have an unhealthy obsession about my living arrangements.

I find it odd that someone in their 40s would live with their parents, especailly someone you seems to stress the importance of independence. Makes me glad I'm not you, hearing about your life really cheers me up, when I feel down, I can think how sad your life, thus I feel better about myself. So thanks.

In his 40s?

hey, borelord, yer in yer 40s?

what did you do before you decided to start saving for your gas station? did you live out in the real world?

logansoldcigar said:
In his 40s?

what did you do before you decided to start saving for your gas station? did you live out in the real world?
LOL Borelord. :woot: :woot: :up: :up:

logansoldcigar said:
In his 40s?

I'm not 40 yet. Almost, but not quite.

The simple fact is that I couldn't get my life together until a few years ago. If I could have, I would have. But it wasn't possible at the time.

you should keep that in mind when judging others huh?

The Overlord said:
I find it odd that someone in their 40s would live with their parents, especailly someone you seems to stress the importance of independence. Makes me glad I'm not you, hearing about your life really cheers me up, when I feel down, I can think how sad your life, thus I feel better about myself. So thanks.

As far as I'm concerned, if a person doesn't have any responsibility towards other people, a wife and kid, then their personal living arrangements is their business and theirs alone.

Mr Sparkle said:
you should keep that in mind when judging others huh?

Not really, no.

People are welcome to judge me as they see fit.

They're going to anyway, and I'm going to judge others by my standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"