• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Child Labor in undeveloped countries can be a good thing.

Mr Sparkle said:
what the? that's what I just said.

Maybe I'm tired, but your unsaid point has passed me by.

Treat me gently and spell it out.

War Lord said:
and spell it out.

you (that's yourself , jonty)
cannot judge ( in other words are UNABLE to, pass judgement)
on people's ( that's those bipedal things walking around on the surface of the earth)
personal responsibility ( i think it's about facing the consequences for your actions, usually depending on oneself hence the personal)
when you (that's yourself , jonty)
have not exercised it ( but not in the richard simmons kind but the "I do stuff" kind)
yourself (that's you , jonty)

Mr Sparkle said:
you (that's yourself , jonty)
cannot judge ( in other words are UNABLE to, pass judgement)
on people's ( that's those bipedal things walking around on the surface of the earth)
personal responsibility ( i think it's about facing the consequences for your actions, usually depending on oneself hence the personal)
when you (that's yourself , jonty)
have not exercised it ( but not in the richard simmons kind but the "I do stuff" kind)
yourself (that's you , jonty)

I have exercised personal responsiblity. Though I live with my family, I am still paying rent, telephone, cable and buying my own food and assuming fair responsibility for household chores.

I don't have any other responsiblities, so it doesn't make any sense to pay what I pay to a landlord for the right to live in an apartment for myself when my own personal habits or situation wouldn't change because of it.

Your point would be well taken if I were perpetually unemployed (the longest I've ever been unemployed is two weeks) or had fathered some kids somewhere or something else that indicated I've shirked responsibility.

The person I have to live up to is myself. I have no concern for what others think of me.

Man-Thing said:
When I was growing up living on a farm I had many "chores" that on average I estimate took an average of ten hours to complete daily. This along with school (of which I had perfect attendence 9 years out of 13). Modern victicrats would consider this WORK a violation in child labor laws. The work was hard, dangerous and I would be chastized if not completed on time or correctly by my Father (an example would be being knocked down for complaining). I had no choice but to do it, I couldn't quit and most of all I couldn't complain. There was no wage but the security of a roof, clothes and food.

Anyway through all of my expeirence through hard work growing up there remains now absolutley no bitterness on my part to my parents. Infact I think that is the way it should be- children should be taught early on that hard work is the acceptable good that all should acheive for. This is why I have a problem with child labor laws.

Out of greed disguised as compassion many in the Western World consider it a travesty if a young child has to do hard work. This is just silly, and it is infact greedy because through the influence of groups like labour unions, workers rights organizations and boycotting citizens, pressure is being placed upon third world countries to eliminate child labour. I understand the reasoning behind it as I was once in that mindset, but to deny a family who would otherwise be starving the essentials of food, everything including their education becomes a moot point.

I hope many people reconsider their views on child labour. Of course no one is for horrible acts like child prostitution, but to limit a family's income because it just makes you feel better is evil IMO.

Discuss...

You are a neo-con facist pig. So it's okay for children to work in sweat shops?

War Lord said:
As far as I'm concerned, if a person doesn't have any responsibility towards other people, a wife and kid, then their personal living arrangements is their business and theirs alone.

Then don't tell people on the internet about living arrangements, if you don't people to comment on it.

Only have read part of the first and last page, so sorry if I repeat anything.

My view is that we as a society have indeed become soft. On the other hand a child should never work in a dangerous environment where he/she can be killed or maimed for wages.

In the US we have become more and more soft on how children are raised. Spanking to some ppl anymore is like abuse it seems. I'm only 23, but I can say most of the ppl I grew up with and children/teens in grades underneath me or relatives kids I have seen grow up hating work before they actually do it. Many feel work is a punishment and abhor the thought, but it's simply something we have to do whether we like it or not. It seems younger men are forgetting how to be men and are growing up weaker than the last generation IMO. Anymore it seems most ppl are obese, and most jobs seem to be set down or stand around jobs in doors. We don't get out in the sun as much, we rarely see a real hard days work, but we as a society complain very often. I think we're learning some bad habits from this, and becoming weaker for it.

On the other hand, kids are kids and should be allowed to be just that. A kid should never have to slave away for a wage, and if that has to happen then the country that kid lives in needs a major change. There's a difference inbetween teaching values and helping your kid grow up strong by having him do physically demanding chores, and sending your kid to a place with blades chopping and machines with 100's of pounds of crushing pressure. A parent IMO should have his child do things so he learns the value of working and doesn't grow up lazy or spoiled, but a child is also absent minded for the most part. In a dangerous shop a child might get distracted by a song, a bug flying by, or whatever and be injured or killed. Also as with cole mines, a child should never be put in a situation like that where his lungs can be permanently damaged before he hits puberty.

So what I'm saying I guess is nothing wrong with giving your kid chores around the house or having him work on a farm, but it should be just at your household where your supervising. A child shouldn't be working away his childhood missing out on being a child, and doing so in a place even remotely dangerous under a strangers watch. Hard work can teach a kid plenty as long as it's mixed with playtime, dangerous practically slave work with no free time is reprehensible and a child should never be put thru that. The parents of a family should take care of the monetary problems of a family not the kids. Child labor can be alright if it's farm work, helping a neighbor or elderly person or something of that sort, but even then in smaller doses and nothing he or she should have to give up all free time but school and sleep time for. A child should be allowed to have time to play with friends, or see a movie, or play with toys or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"