Christopher Nolan's Howard Hughes Biopic

Meh. Its been done and I have a very hard time seeing anyone topping The Aviator, so I'll pass.

You probably won't though. ;)

The Aviator is one of my all-time favourite Scorsese movies, and it's intensely rewatchable too. I love the flick to death, but regardless, I can totally see Nolan make a Hughes movie just as good or just totally different. I think some of the comments here are rather close-minded. Just because it's been done, doesn't mean...anything really. It's all about the execution, the script, the directing and the actors. Some people are responding to this news as if it said: ''Nolan to remake Scorsese's The Aviator''.

Exactly, Carmine. I can see this film really being it's own thing, the only similiary is the man. Scorsese covered about 15 minutes of that part of his life in his film. As great as that aspect was, here it could be something very different and feel unique. So unique you wouldn't feel the need to compare the two or feel that it's treading the same ground while staying on its own feet.

Especially under Nolan's direction and a different actor in the lead. Carrey could make what I just talked about work.

But hey, Bale could too. :awesome:

Meh. Its been done and I have a very hard time seeing anyone topping The Aviator, so I'll pass.

So you're already choosing to pass despite the fact that it's Christopher Nolan, no one has been cast, and there's no trailer?

So you're already choosing to pass despite the fact that it's Christopher Nolan, no one has been cast, and there's no trailer?

Matt isn't much of a fan of Nolan's work, so I doubt that name is going to make him interested in the project.

I still stand by that post-1948 Hughes is not nearly as interesting as the one depicted in The Aviator. I'm not sure how you can make a movie people enjoy watching about a guy who will spend almost the whole running time living in hotel rooms naked, afraid to go outside, and pissing in bottles. That's pretty extreme.
Have you not watched Christopher Nolan's films? Nolan would definitely take a non-linear storytelling approach, probably showing Hughes' past and how he got to the point he is at in the film. It's a different approach then Scorsese's, but I can see how major plot points in both films can be compared. But I have a feeling Nolan would try to make his interpretation unique enough in order to avoid comparisons with The Aviator.

Hey yeah, didn't Nolan had a guy scribbling notes everywhere and in his body, locked in a hotel room, in that one movie*? That was pretty interesting.

*Memento

Wow, I just google'd Hughes and Carrey with a more little pounds is a spitting image of him.

Seeing that it's about the years after "The Aviator" I'd be fine with it. I just watched the Aviator last night. Since it's about his later years, I feel like it won't need DiCaprio.

So... The Aviator Begins? The Aviator Rebooted? The Aviator Rises?

I dunno, it's crazy to think people won't compare it with the Scorsese film. That one was brilliantly made. I always figured he used some of his ideas for Hughes on Bruce Wayne, will be interesting to see how this turns out, if it's true. If this does work, it would officially be his first biopic!

Some of us at the Batman subforums are thinking Jake Gyllenhaal. It'd be interesting to see the otherwise "nice" actor take on the challenges of a character fighting (or embracing) dementia.

I'm very intrigued to see this, as Nolan did say at one time that it was the best script he had ever written. Judging by the man's talent, that is really saying something. Oh and Christian Bale for Nolan's Howard Hughes. Few actors can do OCD-riddled characters better than Bale. After American Psycho, The Machinist and Harsh Times (and to some extent even The Fighter), Bale has pretty much proven that freaky-crazy is his forte.

I think Bale actually favors Hughes more in looks than DiCaprio did...it'd be so awesome to see Bale grow out this crazy long beard and fingernails! He would do it too! :yay:

edit: just noticed the talk about Carrey...he could be amazing too. Love to see him win an Oscar some day!

Looks like Nolan will get some competition:

Beatty Plans Ambitious Howard Hughes Project

By Garth Franklin Thursday June 23rd 2011 02:07PM

Earlier this week came word that Warren Beatty was set to direct his first project in over a decade at Paramount Pictures. All we knew was that it was some sort of biopic, but we didn't know about whom.
Now, Deadline reports that Beatty plans to play Howard Hughes in an all-star ensemble drama with part of the story covering the affair Hughes had with a young woman in the later years of his life.
Beatty reportedly has met with the likes of Andrew Garfield, Alec Baldwin, Annette Bening, Shia La Beouf, Jack Nicholson, Evan Rachel Wood and Rooney Mara for roles. Beatty has reportedly wanted to play Hughes for a long time.

Wow, I just google'd Hughes and Carrey with a more little pounds is a spitting image of him.
Jim Carrey is the spitting image of country singer George Jones;

george_jones-shine_on.jpg

If there's one guy he was born to play, it's him.

JAK®;20698017 said:
Jim Carrey is the spitting image of country singer George Jones;

george_jones-shine_on.jpg

If there's one guy he was born to play, it's him.

Holy ****, I thought this was actually Carrey for a second. :lmao:

I wonder what's going on with this? I'm not really sure how Nolan could improve on 'The Aviator' but if anyone can it would be him. Fassbender would be an interesting Hughes. Fassbender and Nolan would work well together one day I think.

I think he got Hughes out of his system in TDKR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"