Clone Wars Clone Wars 2003 Genndy Tartakovsky

That's awesome news. This was a great series and I'm glad that Lucasfilm isn't brushing it under the rug because it's no longer canon.

This is one of the real hidden gems in the Star Wars oeuvre. So glad that the newer generations will now get to enjoy it for themselves. Tartakovsky is a genius.

It's not?
No. Disney made the decision that Filoni's Clone Wars series was to be the official canon when they purchased Lucasfilm. There's too much contradiction between the two series but I think they could have attempted to work around it. For example, Palpatine's kidnapping was only mentioned in Filoni's Clone Wars but in Tartakovsky's Clone Wars you get to see the whole thing. On the other hand, there are plenty of odd continuity errors in 2D Clone Wars, like how General Grievous speaks with a different accent (which I prefer, TBH, it sounds more sinister than Matthew Wood's voice) or the fact that he fought with his feet as well in his first appearance. But I can chalk that up to the series being produced at the same time Revenge of the Sith was filming so they had to work with what they had.

Is the bit where Mace Windu force crushes Grievous' chest causing his cough in ROTS not canon? I thought it was.

No. Disney made the decision that Filoni's Clone Wars series was to be the official canon when they purchased Lucasfilm. There's too much contradiction between the two series but I think they could have attempted to work around it. For example, Palpatine's kidnapping was only mentioned in Filoni's Clone Wars but in Tartakovsky's Clone Wars you get to see the whole thing. On the other hand, there are plenty of odd continuity errors in 2D Clone Wars, like how General Grievous speaks with a different accent (which I prefer, TBH, it sounds more sinister than Matthew Wood's voice) or the fact that he fought with his feet as well in his first appearance. But I can chalk that up to the series being produced at the same time Revenge of the Sith was filming so they had to work with what they had.

I mean there's too much contradiction between the movies and Clone Wars if we want to be perfectly honest.

Is the bit where Mace Windu force crushes Grievous' chest causing his cough in ROTS not canon? I thought it was.
I liked that part too, but he was already coughing well before that in the timeline in Filoni's Clone Wars.
I mean there's too much contradiction between the movies and Clone Wars if we want to be perfectly honest.
That goes without saying. I like Ahsoka overall, but she's one of the most shoehorned characters in the whole franchise.

Well this is the thing about EU stuff. Lucas was already picking and choosing what he wanted long before Disney ever bought the company. Blaming Disney for it is dumb. Lucas was doing the same thing all the time.

Well this is the thing about EU stuff. Lucas was already picking and choosing what he wanted long before Disney ever bought the company. Blaming Disney for it is dumb. Lucas was doing the same thing all the time.

There was this kind of implicit understanding that all the EU stuff wasn't really canon, or to be more accurate that nothing was canon unless it was explicitly sanctioned by Lucas, which up until Filoni's Clone Wars was just the theatrically released movies.

There was this kind of implicit understanding that all the EU stuff wasn't really canon, or to be more accurate that nothing was canon unless it was explicitly sanctioned by Lucas, which up until Filoni's Clone Wars was just the theatrically released movies.

Yeah, that was basically how I viewed it after the prequels and realized he wasn't doing the Clone Wars by what the past books had previously established and built up. Also Boba Fett being a clone. So putting this on Disney is dumb. Lucas never held the EU up as a precious thing.

I rewatched this again on Disney+ since I'd never watched it in HD before. Not gonna lie, when the Filoni Clone Wars series was announced back in the day I was a bit dismissive because of how much I loved the Tartakovsky Clone Wars. But now that I'm watching it again I really have to say that the Filoni Clone Wars was overall a vast improvement. The clones in this have zero personality, as do most of the characters. But the action scenes are still great, and the show was still good enough that some of the best elements carried over to The Clone Wars, like Ventress and James Arnold Taylor's Obi-Wan.

I think from a writing and storytelling perspective, Rebels is still my favorite show.

I'm very glad we have the old shorts archived now. I hope they will do the same with Droids at some point.

Honestly, why hasn't Lucasfilm tried to bring Genndy Tartakovsky back for more Star Wars? He's done some amazing work. I haven't watched all of Primal, but what I watched o enjoyed.

I bought the Clone Wars dvds when they came out and have watched them a few times now. Glad to see they put it on Disney Plus for others to discover.

Learning how Grevious got his cough, introduction of Asajj, and Mace Windu's fight against all the battle droids... so many awesome moments in this series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"