• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Cobra Commander's Mask

Shadow-Guardian

Sidekick
Reaction score
What did you think about it?

Like it? Hate it? Discuss it here.

Also discuss what you think it should be like in the sequel. Manips are welcome as well.

I loved it personally.

And in the sequel, I think they should
keep his new mask, but make it blue, with a cobra symbol. That way, it'll have the blue color and cold evil eyes of the hood, while keeping the faceplate look of the battle helmet. I think that'd be the best route. Maybe have kind of a Rise of the silver surfer Dr. Doom type of deal. Basically the same as the last movie, but has some upgrades and more bulky and bad-ass looking.

And I'm good for a comepletely different mask altogether, but at least keep the ROC mask for a while. Some of us actually liked it. Change it maybe halfway through, let it have some screentime.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I really hope they don't use it for the sequel. I'd rather see the original blank mask.

it seemed something just thrown together last minute as you see him fiddling with it during the movie....I think the blank mask is the way to go though

I hope they use a different mask in the sequel, especially since I didn't like the voice modulation effect it had. I'm preferential to the hood, personally, but I could settle for the mirrored face plate. I'd really like it if we got to see both.

I actually didn't mind the mask(s). I would keep the final mask he has, but fix it up and give it a more CC feel.

I wish they go for the hood... when CC is not in Battle. (He can have the same stuff as "The Doctor" beneath it.) If he ever needs to hit the battlefield a modified version of the Jason X mask that looks more like the classic mirror plate helmet.

Agreed, with his "Doctor" mask it would have been easy to just drape the classic CC hood over it.

I read somewhere, maybe wiki, that they felt the hood was too much KKK like. CC has always had different looks, so it can be redesigned easily. I did like his look at the Doctor much better. lol

I hate the "it looks like the KKK" excuse... CC is the leader of a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world... The fact that the Hood inspires terror (KKK for example) is a huge reason why the Hood would work.

Like I said before, I think it was smart for them to do this movie without a lot of the recognizable GI Joe stuff. As it seems like we will be getting a sequel now, it only makes sense that alot of the characters will evolve and possibly resemble their cartoon/comic counterparts more closely.

CC in particular will more than likely have some sort of mask that's alot more traditional, the director has already said as much in the interview they have up on movieweb.

I hate the "it looks like the KKK" excuse... CC is the leader of a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world... The fact that the Hood inspires terror (KKK for example) is a huge reason why the Hood would work.

The moronic thing about that excuse is all KKK masks are pointy and cone like, his mask is simply a mask. There is no comparison or argument, the people using the KKK excuse are grasping at straws to put that mask down in favor of the silver helmet.

Maybe it's the eye holes that do it. Maybe they tested it, we don't know what it looks like.

But it doesn't have to be a straight up mask anyway. And I saw this mask as a temporary mask. In the next film it will be more the classic look but better. Complete cloth with eyes holes cut out would look silly and wouldn't work. It has to look threatening. You could do better things with the mask.

Maybe it's the eye holes that do it. Maybe they tested it, we don't know what it looks like.

But it doesn't have to be a straight up mask anyway. And I saw this mask as a temporary mask. In the next film it will be more the classic look but better. Complete cloth with eyes holes cut out would look silly and wouldn't work. It has to look threatening. You could do better things with the mask. A hood over the mask wou

Cobra Commander's look was a modern hybrid of

his metal head 80's appearance:

cobracommanderdestrozar.jpg

and the hooded look:
gijoecobracommander.jpg

Then, based on the storyline of the film, I think the look of it works almost halfway all the round. Once I noticed where they got the inspiration of his look from, I was more accepting of it. I'm sure in a sequel, they'll change it again a little. I also noticed that his mask in the movie has a very serpent-like quality to it as well. I think maybe it's just the material of the mask needed work. I think it should've looked a bit more shiny and no so much like a plastic surgical mask, despite the fact that it probably was to look just that.

riseofcobracobracommand.jpg

He only "becomes" CC at the end of the movie. Throughout the rest of the movie, he's just the doctor and I think, as the doctor, he actually looked ok on-screen. I didn't love the CC mask too much at the end, but then I realized at that exact moment that the days of the covered-face-Darth Vader days, just doesn't work anymore. When you have 90% of the actor's face totally covered, it just comes off cheesy and a little hard to react or connect to. So, whether they kept the exact look or not, it would never work as well as just seeing it on a piece of paper or in a cartoon. In a movie, 90% of what you see is facial expression (compared to a cartoon where 90% is voice). When you take that away, even for remaining accurate to whatever you're adapting, you're sacrificing a hell of a lot.

Reminds me of his DIC costume. I prefer the hooded look that everyone loves to post from GI joe reloaded.

hooded look for sure, but the mask didnt bother me since its "The Rise of Cobra"

Cobra Commander's look was a modern hybrid of

his metal head 80's appearance:

cobracommanderdestrozar.jpg

and the hooded look:
gijoecobracommander.jpg

I think it's a mix of ALL of CC's appearances, the ones you mentioned above plus his battle armor, mostly the battle armor mixed with the mirror mask.

I kind of like the new CC mask...it'd be nice if we had multiple masks in the next one too but I honestly wouldn't mind if he kept the ROC mask if it ended up that way, it's pretty menacing if you ask me, just change the voice so he keeps his doctor voice. there's something about it that seems to suit the movie-verse, it's a bit more to look at than a plain hood or the mirror mask. I didn't really like his chest armor too much though, give him either of the suits above and it'd be pretty awesome.

A mixture of the helmet and the hood would be good.

There was nothing memorable about the mask used in this film. My biggest complaint is that it was so "bleh".

They should definitely given him a more traditional Cobra Commander look either being the solid metal, hood, or a combination of the two.

I'm sure I'd like the mask better if they showed it. As soon as he put it on they quick cutted away.

I would like to see a hood, but not face covering hood with eye holes cut out. More so of a cloak that conceals his nose and above.

I prefer the hood or silver faceplate. I loved how they transitioned him from The Doctor to Commander. After, Cullen got seriously burned he was powerless and it was perfect to have Rex step in and announce himself as Commander. My only problem was with the nanomites constructing Destro's mask. I would've preferred just the old Iron Mask.

I just finished a custom figure of movie Cobra Commander where he's got the classic helmet, and it's removable to reveal Rex's scarred face underneath. Hopefully I'll have pics up today.

Last edited:
you only see it for 10-15 seconds...id guess there would be some changes if there is a sequel

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"