• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sequels Colossus; gay?

Ratcrawler

Superhero
Reaction score
I've always been pretty ambivalent to Ultimate Colossus being made gay but the more I think about it, the more it might fit with the movie-verse. For starters, very little was ever done with the character. He actually had more development in his cameo bits of X2 than he did with all the added screen time of X-Men 3. We don't even know if he likes girls or not. So it's definitely possible and wouldn't feel out of continuity. Also, it would add a bit of diversity to the team. Considering these movies have been called a metaphor for being gay by a number of people, it really wouldn't be too out there.

At the very least, he could be bisexual. He could date Kitty Pryde and have Northstar on the side lol

You're seriously starting a whole new thread over this? At this point, I doubt it matters.

I've always been pretty ambivalent to Ultimate Colossus being made gay but the more I think about it, the more it might fit with the movie-verse. For starters, very little was ever done with the character. He actually had more development in his cameo bits of X2 than he did with all the added screen time of X-Men 3. We don't even know if he likes girls or not. So it's definitely possible and wouldn't feel out of continuity. Also, it would add a bit of diversity to the team. Considering these movies have been called a metaphor for being gay by a number of people, it really wouldn't be too out there.

At the very least, he could be bisexual. He could date Kitty Pryde and have Northstar on the side lol

Completely unnecessary. The xmen are not just about 'the gays'.

One character doesn't make the X-men completely about "the gays". Does having Storm make the X-men all about race? No, just more diverse. I'd be fine if they made Colossus gay, and it would make sense as they would be just drawing on the ultimates for inspiration. It would be great to see a gay superhero in a movie.

If this thread is going to stay open, just a reminder that homophobic/offensive comments will not be tolerated. Let's discuss this like the adults we all claim to be, please.

That being said, I don't know if it's necessary to make one of the characters gay - but I wouldn't mind if they did as long as it was done right.

I'm just trying to say that making a character gay just to be different is lame. That was always my beef with the ultimate xmen. Most of the changes (not just colossus) were made JUST to be different.
You want a gay character? Than they should make one.

I would love to see the Ultimate interpretation of Colossus on screen. It made the character fresh and interesting.

We don't even know if we're going to be seeing Colossus again any time soon.

I'm just trying to say that making a character gay just to be different is lame. That was always my beef with the ultimate xmen. Most of the changes (not just colossus) were made JUST to be different.

I agree with this.

I don't like the idea of Colossus being gay. Don't like the idea in Ultimate, and I don't like the idea for the movies.

I'm not against gay characters in my X-Men movies or comic books, but like you said, they should just make a gay character.

Making Colossus gay just wreeks to me of "shock value", not substance.

I agree with this.

I don't like the idea of Colossus being gay. Don't like the idea in Ultimate, and I don't like the idea for the movies.

I'm not against gay characters in my X-Men movies or comic books, but like you said, they should just make a gay character.

Making Colossus gay just wreeks to me of "shock value", not substance.

I don't mind whether he's gay or not.

The Ultimate version, who is gay, isn't a big deal to me. On the one hand, it's an extension of a cliche/stereotype because Colossus is gentle and artistic; on the other hand, it goes against cliche/stereotype because he's huge, masculine and muscular (although there is a 'muscle mary' gay stereotype too!).

After all, comic book Mystique is gay (or bi at least); her life-partner is the precognitive Destiny.

I realise the gay thing is still a big issue for so many people. Most people can't handle gay characters in media unless they're flamers who mince around for comedy value, and are thus so different that they are non-threatening to the hetero norm. Can't we have some gay characters who aren't like Harvey Fierstein?

This. I thought it was a shameless and clumsy publicity stunt. But then again, Ultimate was full of shoddy writing.

One character doesn't make the X-men completely about "the gays". Does having Storm make the X-men all about race? No, just more diverse.
If you read the OP, it implies that the X-men films are about homosexuality. That is what they are referring to.

It certainly wouldn't be the most drastic change made to a character in the X-Films (Stryker as a military scientist, Mutant Juggernaut, Brother Sabretooth, Barakkapool) and at least gay Colossus would have precedent. Again, I could go either way on the character, but I'd rather have that than him having one line and existing solely to throw Wolverine around.

I don't mind whether he's gay or not.

The Ultimate version, who is gay, isn't a big deal to me. On the one hand, it's an extension of a cliche/stereotype because Colossus is gentle and artistic; on the other hand, it goes against cliche/stereotype because he's huge, masculine and muscular (although there is a 'muscle mary' gay stereotype too!).

After all, comic book Mystique is gay (or bi at least); her life-partner is the precognitive Destiny.

I realise the gay thing is still a big issue for so many people. Most people can't handle gay characters in media unless they're flamers who mince around for comedy value, and are thus so different that they are non-threatening to the hetero norm. Can't we have some gay characters who aren't like Harvey Fierstein?

It has nothing to do with having an "issue" with gay characters. My point is exactly what you said - I don't think that homosexuality should be given to a character for shock value, and I feel that's what making Colossus gay in Ultimate was - shock value.

I'd rather them make a new character who is gay, and make that a part of their character, with essence. And no, they don't have to be a prancing flamer. I think if done properly, a gay character could work VERY well in the X-Men world.

They should just use Northstar. He's one of the first gay super heroes ever so it would be better to have him be the first gay film super hero.

Well... Northstar would still need a boyfriend :p

But Northstar is really bland, with a boring backstory and power set. In the extremely unlikely scenario where we see a gay Colossus in a movie, I think it would be more about adding diversity and a different point of view than it would be about a gimmick. I think having a prominent X-man be gay (especially one who already has a comic book version in that interpretation) would be better, rather than just include an irrelevant X-man like Northstar. And Colossus' biggest relationship is always ignored, both in all cartoons and the current franchise.

I see that everyone is very half and half on this subject.

To be honest, i dont think sexual orientation is something that necessarily needs to be made aware of on screen.

The X-Men is representative of the social issues of being singled out because of something you are as its something you dont necessarily choose to be but learn to except who you are and hope others except it to in a respectful and diverse way.

That doent mean there cant be gay mutants in an x-men movie... but i dont really see why it needs to be addressed. Unless, a mutant wanted to refer to being a mutant no different to being Gay or of different race when it comes to how the world is treating social issues of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"