comic books/graphic novels you would recommend as source material for DCEU films?

rogbngp

Snyderverse supporter
Reaction score
I grew up as a kid reading the Silver and Bronze Age comics from the mid 60's to early 70s, both DC and Marvel. I know nothing of what came after that in the comic books except what I've browsed in the past few years on Wikipedia. But now that the superhero movies seem finally to have come of age and we're seeing a profusion of CBMs getting made, I'm looking forward to researching the comic book sources to see what I've missed.

So for Christmas this year I plan to geek out on learning about the comic book source material for the DCEU's slated films. I'd appreciate feedback on which comic books/graphic novels you would you recommend to learn about the Justice League members as they figure to appear in the DCEU. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman is probably plenty for me to read about for the time being. But if you have recommendations as well for the Flash and Cyborg of course they will be appreciated. And I would assume that Green Lantern will be added eventually, as The Green Lantern Corps is scheduled for production. But it's not a priority to learn about right now.

For Superman I'm thinking the Man of Steel Prequel comic. Also... My guess is that BvS will feature the New 52's Bizarro in some form (and perhaps the creature will be a departure from the comics). In the comics did Lex ever create a clone from Zod's corpse? I see that the Forever Evil series has Lex attempt gene splicing using a teenaged human subject (specimen B-0). But does he try any experimentation using Zod's DNA that results in a Bizarro?

For Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Earth One, Volumes 1 and 2 (looks like Alfred in BvS is probably inspired by BEO).

For Wonder Woman: Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Blood (The New 52)?

For Aquaman: Aquaman Vol. 1: The Trench (The New 52)?

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I look forward to any feedback you may have!

Last edited:
Eisenlex + Bizarro sounds endlessly entertaining to me.

For Flash and GL they'll probably look to Johns' runs.

Cyborg's pretty much a blank slate unless they make it a Titans movie. Best to ask again in three years or so.

- Superman: Peace On Earth

latest

- Superman: Birthright

3101197-brcover.jpg

- Lex Luthor:Man Of Steel

4567_400x600.jpg

- Justice

51HHV4D648L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

- Batman War On Crime

41BCTTRNWYL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

- Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity

trinity.jpg

Last edited:
For the Man who has everything (although i know it's been used in a Timm TAS show, I think)

ftmwhecover.png

Superman: Red Son

tumblr_mojr5xb4ru1rcbnigo8_1280.jpg

Flash, the return of Barry Allen

251058-19985-119431-1-flash-tpb.jpg

The John Byrne OMAC story

OMAC-One-Man-Army-Corps-1-4-Complete-Set-John-Byrne-310129386788.jpg

Justice League: EArth 2 ( Grant Morrison)

JLA-Earth-2-1.jpg

Batman: Venom
2403056-new_edition.jpg

Will think up some more later !

I would love a HAWK film that used HAWKWORLD as the starting point.

If we are going to see Hal Jordan again, then I think that an adaptation of the key elements of EMERALD DAWN II, the downfall of Sinestro, would be a good way to kick off the GLC film.

The early runnings of the CAPTAIN ATOM book from the late 80's would be a great bare bones way to adapt that super hero.

I think that the COSMIC ODYSSEY would also be a good story to introduce the NEW GODS and The Demon.

The Power of Shazam by Jerry Ordway. One of my favorite graphic novels ever, can be translated almost exact for film as is

PowerofShazam%21_TPB.jpg

Wonder Woman Blood

latest

Superman I'd say Birthright but MoS used MANY of those elements, so I'll go with using this one eventually

Slide722.jpg

SEP050253.jpg

The first issue of Marc Andreyko's Manhunter should be required reading on how to launch a new character. Just a perfect origin story from start to finish, with a stand-up-and-cheer ending. It's honestly one of my favorite single issues of any series ever written.

That said, the first arc in its totality is very cinematic, and would easily translate to film with little to no adjustments. If DC/WB ever wanted to take a chance on an unknown character, this would be the way to do it, in my opinion.

I'm interested in seeing Barbara Gordon as Oracle in relationship with Batman specifically. Any comics that you all can recommend that show that relationship?

I have a feeling that Jena Malone will mostly likely play Oracle in BvS. Perhaps we'll get some backstory for her as Batgirl in the Batman standalone film. But for BvS I'm guessing Oracle.

Last edited:
DC/WB should use the Johns/Frank Superman: Brainiac storyline as the template for MOS2.
latest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"