Daredevil Compare DD Season 1 with the rest of the MCU

I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't understand why some folks are reluctant to rank this above the films. DD has actual character development and the best MCU villain to date.

Last edited:
I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't understand why some folks are reluctant to rank this above the films. DD has has actual character development and the best MCU villain to date.
That is part of what makes this an unfair comparison/ranking.
And then, some episodes ARE better than some films, while other episodes are lower.

And then, some episodes ARE better than some films, while other episodes are lower.

Fair enough. I have a very weird relationship with the MCU, I'm a huge fan of Guardians, The first Iron-Man film and The Winter Soldier, but the rest of the MCU has been incredibly underwhelming to me. Daredevil was a breath of fresh air to me personally.

1. The Avengers
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  3. Iron Man
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy
  5. Iron Man 3
  6. Iron Man 2
  7. Daredevil Season 1
  8. Thor
  9. Captain America: The First Avenger
  10. Thor: The Dark World
  11. Agents of SHIELD Season 2
  12. The Incredible Hulk
  13. Agents of SHIELD Season 1
  14. Agent Carter (Only watched the first two episodes, can’t really judge yet)

Some of this is really difficult because while I may feel Daredevil Season 1 is better than Thor, I have more of a connection with the characters in Thor due to The Avengers and TDW, which give it more weight to me. But I think this is a pretty representation for me.

1. The Avengers
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  3. Iron Man
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy
  5. Iron Man 3
  6. Iron Man 2
  7. Daredevil Season 1
  8. Thor
  9. Captain America: The First Avenger
  11. Agents of SHIELD Season 2
  12. The Incredible Hulk
  13. Agents of SHIELD Season 1
  14. Agent Carter (Only watched the first two episodes, can’t really judge yet)

Some of this is really difficult because while I may feel Daredevil Season 1 is better than Thor, I have more of a connection with the characters in Thor due to The Avengers and TDW, which give it more weight to me. But I think this is a pretty representation for me.

Just curious why you say you have more of a connection to Thor when we have already seen double the amount of screen time for Daredevil.

dd and winter soldier are leagues above everything else imo

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Daredevil
Guardians of The Galaxy
The Avengers
Iron-Man
Iron-Man 3
The Incredible Hulk
Agent Carter
Captain America: The First Avenger(Which is also the only MCU movie that gets better with every viewing.)
Agents of Shield
Thor: The Dark World
Iron-Man 2
Thor

TWS and DD get top billing for not only excellent scripts, but by far the best fight scenes in any comic related show or movie or really any movie or tv show.

Just curious why you say you have more of a connection to Thor when we have already seen double the amount of screen time for Daredevil.

We may have seen double the screen time with Matt, but we've seen over double the journey with Thor. He (and Loki) have had events and growth that have spanned over a much longer time period that the Daredevil series, and has had greater impact on the MCU as a whole.

That said, in a 1:1 comparison, Daredevil's story has been told better. Thor's story is just carrying more weight.

TWS and DD get top billing for not only excellent scripts, but by far the best fight scenes in any comic related show or movie or really any movie or tv show.

100% agreed on TWS and DD having the best fight scenes. They were so well done.

Last edited:
Man, the rankings here are all over the map, for all, not just DD.

Everything from ranking TIH above DD, AOS season 1 above DD (Seriously??) to ranking Avengers at the very bottom of everything, wtf??

I think you successfully managed to stumble upon the de facto definition of "an opinion" kudos!

And i dont mind saying so considering TIH > DD is my opinion which you so gallantly threw under the bus. I'd be glad to defend it if you like.

I'd never tell you how to compare it. If you think its more fair to go episode by episode, go for it. If you think scene by scene, sure. Character by character? Be my guest.

Honestly, I think in this situation its completely fair to compare one related thing to another. To compare Daredevil's depiction and portrayal in the MCU to the rest of the stories told so far.

I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't understand why some folks are reluctant to rank this above the films. DD has actual character development and the best MCU villain to date.

Again, I'm more than surprised that DD is consistently being ranked as THE highest quality story told in the 7 years since Marvel Studios' conception. But that's precisely why the thread exists.

I dont think DD is the best. But I do think it's among the best.

I'd also say Kingpin is perhaps equal to Loki. Not necessarily better.

Last edited:
Kingpin is easily the best villain we've seen in the MCU. Loki is very charismatic and entertaining, but never once have I feared for the heroes while he's on screen. IMO Stane, Fisk, Loki, and Director Pierce are easily the best we've seen so far. As for where it ranks for me:

Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Winter Soldier
Daredevil
The Avengers
Thor
Iron Man 3
The Incredible Hulk
The First Avenger
Thor The Dark World
Iron Man 2
Agents of Shield
Agent Carter (leaps and bounds above the ABC films)

Kingpin is easily the best villain we've seen in the MCU. Loki is very charismatic and entertaining, but never once have I feared for the heroes while he's on screen. IMO Stane, Fisk, Loki, and Director Pierce are easily the best we've seen so far.

This is a very fair point, but i wouldnt say it directly correlates with how good a villain is or isn't.

I didnt once fear for the X-Men when Mckellen Magneto was on screen. Great villain though.

I mean, "fearsome" is a trait that makes a great villain sure, but Loki doesnt need it. His traits are in the deception and scheming camp. Look at his history in the movies.
1. He won the throne after convincing his father his brother was a over-confident warmonger.
2. He killed Coulson by stabbing him in the back despite us not fearing for Coulson's safety. Hell, I didnt think Loki was capable either.
3. He won the throne again after convincing Thor that he was killed sacrificing himself out of brotherly love. (And may have murdered his own father to do so).

We might not ever have to fear for Thor's life (because of Loki's inherent comparative weakness next to Thor), but he is definitely still hugely villainous in his own write.

To be a god of mischief means we shouldnt fear him. And then when he goes and kills someone we are shocked.

When Kingpin kills someone, if you're shocked, you're kind of an idiot.

1. The Avengers
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Daredevil: Season 1
5. Iron Man
6. Thor
7. Captain America: The First Avenger
8. Agents of SHIELD Season 1
8. Thor: The Dark World
9. Iron Man 2
10. Agent Carter
11. Iron Man 3
12. Agents of SHIELD Season 2
13. The Incredible Hulk

Fair enough. I have a very weird relationship with the MCU, I'm a huge fan of Guardians, The first Iron-Man film and The Winter Soldier, but the rest of the MCU has been incredibly underwhelming to me. Daredevil was a breath of fresh air to me personally.

I feel the same way about the MCU. I have a few favorites that I love, but the rest is predictable/formulaic, boring, "popcorn" film that I really can't chew on.

Daredevil is easily the best thing out of the MCU. Its hard to argue otherwise.

I am not here to vote or compare, but rather to ask why everyone keeps calling it season one when it is in fact the only season? This mini-series is part of a four-part event that leads to a tie in for The Defenders, which itself with more directly tie into the rest of the MCU. In short, Daredevil could be considered "phase two."

Daredevil --> AKA Jessica Jones --> Luke Cage --> Iron Fist --> The Defenders

That is the plan of release, with Daredevil and Jessica Jones coming out this year, Luke Cage coming out next year and Iron Fist and The Defenders being currently TBA.

None of this is to suggest that additional seasons may not come in the future, but the current plan is only for a mini-series. As for the rest of the MCU, this series is incongruous with the rest of the MCU films. honestly, I felt more like I was watching a DC film than a Marvel film. That isn't bad though, because I very much enjoyed Daredevil. I find it to be far better than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (of which I am not a fan).

I am not here to vote or compare, but rather to ask why everyone keeps calling it season one when it is in fact the only season? This mini-series is part of a four-part event that leads to a tie in for The Defenders, which itself with more directly tie into the rest of the MCU. In short, Daredevil could be considered "phase two."

Daredevil --> AKA Jessica Jones --> Luke Cage --> Iron Fist --> The Defenders

That is the plan of release, with Daredevil and Jessica Jones coming out this year, Luke Cage coming out next year and Iron Fist and The Defenders being currently TBA.

None of this is to suggest that additional seasons may not come in the future, but the current plan is only for a mini-series.

Season 2 will probably come in 2017 after The Defenders is released.

At the rate they're going we'll get two shows a year. DD and AKA Jessica Jones in 2015, Luke Cage and Iron Fist in 2016 and The Defenders and DD2 in 2017.

Then in 2018 you can have AKA JJ2 & as many have suggested you can have Luke Cage and Iron Fist combined into Heroes for Hire (Season 2 for both of them).

As for comparing DD with the rest of the MCU...

1. The Avengers
2. Guardians of The Galaxy
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Iron Man
5. Daredevil
6. The Incredible Hulk
7. Thor
8. Captain America: The First Avenger
9. Iron Man 2
11. Agents of Shield (both seasons)
12. Agent Carter
13. Iron Man 3

I truly hope we dont have to wait longer than 2017 for S02 of DD.

I didn't think much could topple my appreciation for the rest of the MCU. Admittedly I've always liked Daredevil, even the Affleck film, despite the flaws of the theatrical cut. But this series has raised the bar so high that I'm not even that fussed for Avengers next week. It's almost like someone took the best bits from Batman Begins, Dredd and The Departed then threw them into a blender to produce a smoothie that is not only faithful to the original content and it's so palatable the sweet after taste stays with you for days.

If there's anything this series has done, it has given me hope for The Punisher and Blade to get the treatment they deserve. But until then Daredevil sits at my number 1 slot for the MCU. I shall patiently await a further season.

Film is a different medium than TV, so it is hard to compare in many ways. That being said, I would put Daredevil in my top 5 MCU currently. Probably at number 4 for me, just under The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Captain America: The First Avenger. That being said, it probably becomes number 5 in a couple weeks.

For me its only better than Aos. Agent Carter is still the best MCU show to date and I prefer all of the films than this one.

Better than anything else so far, even better than TWS.

Tier 1
Captain America:Winter Soldier
Daredevil (netflix)

Tier 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers
Iron Man
Thor

Tier 3
Agent Carter
Iron Man 2
Captain America:The 1st Avenger

We can't compare a 13 hour episode to just more or less 2 hour films. Of course the character development and villains will be better fleshed out in the DD series.

To me, DD is the best thing Marvel has done. It's new, so I have watched it all yet. Generally I prefer to watch each film twice before I rank it. The main factor is to keep my attention throughout a second viewing, which is hard to do since I know what is coming up. I don't know if DD can do that on repeat viewing. But the Avengers and GotG do it very consistently.

1. Daredevil Season 1
2. The Avengers
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Iron Man
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. Agents of SHIELD Season 1
8. Thor
9. Iron Man 3
10. Agents of SHIELD Season 2
11. Captain America: The First Avenger
12. Iron Man 2
13. The Incredible Hulk
14. Agent Carter

I plan on rewatching all of them this summer, so I'm sure that Agent Carter will move up and DD will move down.

Jus realized this thread exists I love making lists but honestly I cannot compare DD to the entire MCU as I love it all almost equally. One thing is certain though, Avengers is at the top of my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"