Daredevil Compare DD Season 1 with the rest of the MCU

We can't compare a 13 hour episode to just more or less 2 hour films. Of course the character development and villains will be better fleshed out in the DD series.

You see all the people above you who've already compared it righ?

Comparing Daredevil, AoS, and Agent Carter with the movies of the MCU is like comparing bananas to strawberries. True, combining the two with ice makes a delicious smoothie, but they are still two different fruits. That being said, Daredevil is the best superhero t.v.show I've ever seen. The partnership with Netflix allowed for more creativity and the plot was gripping.

Like others have sad, it's hard to compare a long running series to 2 hour movies. So, I think the best comparison is how much we become fan's of a character after seeing how his story is written. He's now my #2 favorite character in the MCU, right behind IronMan. I loved IronMan's story and love DD's. No other characters comes close, IMO....

1. Captain America The Winter Soldier
2. The Avengers
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Iron Man
5. Daredevil
6. Iron Man 3
7. The Incredible Hulk
8. Captain America The First Avenger
9. Thor
10. Thor The Dark World
11. Iron Man 2
12. Agent Carter
13. Agents of Shield

I may eventually put Daredevil over Iron Man after watching it again.

I'd never tell you how to compare it. If you think its more fair to go episode by episode, go for it. If you think scene by scene, sure. Character by character? Be my guest.

Honestly, I think in this situation its completely fair to compare one related thing to another. To compare Daredevil's depiction and portrayal in the MCU to the rest of the stories told so far.
I like this opinion.

1. The Incredible Hulk -- 10/10
  2. Captain America The Winter Soldier -- 10/10
  3. Daredevil Episode 2: Cut Man -- 10/10
  4. Daredevil episodes 11-13 -- 9.5/10
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy -- 9/10
  6. Iron Man 3 -- 9/10
  7. The Avengers -- 9/10
  8. Iron Man -- 8.5/10
  9. Thor -- 8.5/10
  10. Daredevil episodes 3-9 -- 8/10
  11. Iron Man 2 -- 8/10
  12. Daredevil episode 1 -- 7.5/10
  13. Captain America: The First Avenger -- 7/10
  14. Thor the Dark World -- 6/10

Now, I suppose you could do this episode by episode, but even the showrunners have called the season "one 13 hour long movie." Therefore I'm ranking mine as an entire season. Including all the ups and downs. It both surprises and fills me with joy to say that it has surpassed a greater majority of the content thus far released by Marvel/Disney

1. The Avengers
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. The Incredible Hulk
4. Daredevil Season 1
5. Iron Man
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. Iron Man 2
8. Iron Man 3
9. Captain America: The First Avenger
10. Agent Carter
11. Thor: The Dark World
12. Thor
13. Agents of SHIELD Season 2 (pending)
14. Agents of SHIELD Season 1

How does DD hold up in your opinion?

I'd have Daredevil at #3, with The Incredible Hulk moving down to the #10 spot....other than that, we are in agreement.

I agree with those that think it is difficult or 'unfair' to compare a TV show with movies. They are similar in that they're both a visual medium but TV has the advantage of being able to flesh out characters and stories with greater detail with the serialized format. That being said, I feel it's ok to compare TV with film when looking at them from either a quality or entertainment perspective or both. And like someone else said, even with a TV show there's some episodes that are ranked low and others higher but imo that just plays into the overall average of the rating. If a show has an episode that gets a 3/10 and drops the overall rating down a point, then so be it.

1. The Avengers
2. Daredevil
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. Iron Man
6. Captain America: The First Avenger
7. Agents of SHIELD Season 1
8. Thor
9. Iron Man 3
10. Agents of SHIELD Season 2
11. Iron Man 2
12. Thor: The Dark World
13. The Incredible Hulk
14. Agent Carter

I like this opinion.

1. The Incredible Hulk -- 10/10
  2. Captain America The Winter Soldier -- 10/10
  3. Daredevil Episode 2: Cut Man -- 10/10
  4. Daredevil episodes 11-13 -- 9.5/10
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy -- 9/10
  6. Iron Man 3 -- 9/10
  7. The Avengers -- 9/10
  8. Iron Man -- 8.5/10
  9. Thor -- 8.5/10
  10. Daredevil episodes 3-9 -- 8/10
  11. Iron Man 2 -- 8/10
  12. Daredevil episode 1 -- 7.5/10
  13. Captain America: The First Avenger -- 7/10
  14. Thor the Dark World -- 6/10

You have probably hit the nail on the head for me almost entirely (if i were to separate the episodes myself) for an average rating of about a 9/10 for me. Suffice it to say we have quite similar taste in MCU. Glad to see another Incredible Hulk fan.

I agree with those that think it is difficult or 'unfair' to compare a TV show with movies. They are similar in that they're both a visual medium but TV has the advantage of being able to flesh out characters and stories with greater detail with the serialized format. That being said, I feel it's ok to compare TV with film when looking at them from either a quality or entertainment perspective or both. And like someone else said, even with a TV show there's some episodes that are ranked low and others higher but imo that just plays into the overall average of the rating. If a show has an episode that gets a 3/10 and drops the overall rating down a point, then so be it.

I think that's the overall goal here. Thanks for your input.

Isn't it absolutely astonishing the about-face critical opinion of television has taken versus film over the past decade? You are definitely not alone in thinking television is a more detailed and emotionally-driven, character-focused medium than film and it seems like much of the talent in film is making its way over to "television" (including web-based networks). I think it's great. TV may even be an overall better medium for comic book adaptations in general. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
You have probably hit the nail on the head for me almost entirely (if i were to separate the episodes myself) for an average rating of about a 9/10 for me. Suffice it to say we have quite similar taste in MCU. Glad to see another Incredible Hulk fan.
tumblr_mawazmNPQZ1qhq58jo1_500.gif

I think that's the overall goal here. Thanks for your input.

Isn't it absolutely astonishing the about-face critical opinion of television has taken versus film over the past decade? You are definitely not alone in thinking television is a more detailed and emotionally-driven, character-focused medium than film and it seems like much of the talent in film is making its way over to "television" (including web-based networks). I think it's great. TV may even be an overall better medium for comic book adaptations in general. We'll have to wait and see.

You're welcome.

Well, when you think about it, TV with it's serialized type format is able to better mimic the storytelling and development that we see in the comics. With movies, things are too compartmentalized and often choices have to be made to either cut things short or be removed entirely mostly for time issues. Movies have the higher budgets to afford better action and maybe talent too but we are seeing a shift in the production values of TV. It's nice to really finally see companies taking the time and interest in producing some quality live-action CB based shows that, like DD, are capable of elevating past the genre and not being just a superhero show.

If you look at the animated productions for superheroes, they've already demonstrated the ability to have that awesome development and storytelling, i.e. B:TAS, Green Lantern, JLU, Young Justice, Spectacular Spider-Man, Supes:TAS, etc. but these shows are often looked down upon for being 'animated' and thus are nothing more than 'children's shows.' It's a stigma and it's often unjust. Point is, I believe the better medium for exploring these characters is in the TV format and hopefully with the continued success of shows like Flash, Arrow and DD, etc. we'll see even greater attention brought to the medium.

If you consider each episode of Daredevil to be one issue, a movie like Winter Soldier or any of them is like a double issue

Now, I suppose you could do this episode by episode, but even the showrunners have called the season "one 13 hour long movie." Therefore I'm ranking mine as an entire season. Including all the ups and downs. It both surprises and fills me with joy to say that it has surpassed a greater majority of the content thus far released by Marvel/Disney

1. The Avengers
3. The Incredible Hulk
4. Daredevil Season 1
5. Iron Man
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. Iron Man 2
8. Iron Man 3
10. Agent Carter
12. Thor
13. Agents of SHIELD Season 2 (pending)
14. Agents of SHIELD Season 1

How does DD hold up in your opinion?

I dunno if it's a fair comparison with a 13 episode series vs a full length movie film. it so much more you can do,expand and add to a series vs a film that has to edit/delete out a good number of scenes to fit a 1.5 to 2 hour film..

It's so way far ahead of SHIELD until its' not even a contest.
but wait until the Defenders, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke cage comes
out with their own series.

it's gonna already be so hard for any incoming Marvel series to compete with Dardevil because of the superhero and surrounding characters like Wilson Fisk, Murdock, the Hand, Typhoid Mary, etc.

1. The Avengers.
2. Captain America: TWS.
3. Daredevil Season 1.
4. Iron Man.
5. Guardians of the Galaxy.
6. Agent Carter.
7. Captain America TFA.
8. Agents of SHIELD Season 2 (thus far).
9. Thor.
10. The Incredible Hulk.
11. Iron Man 2.
12. Agents of SHIELD Season 1.
13. Iron Man 3.
14. Thor: TDW.

1. The Avengers
4. Iron Man
5. Captain America: The First Avenger
6. Thor
7. Iron Man 3
8.Thor: The Dark World
9. Daredevil
10. Agent Carter
11. TIH
12. Agents of Shield
13. Iron Man 2

I love DD, just can't put it above a number of films. It's ridiculously hard to even compare 13 episodes to a 2 hour film. DD had some epic scenes and moments that made me either sad or happy. But some of the moments in some of the Marvel films just impacted me more.

Updating the overall rankings with the release of Ant-Man. Interestingly Daredevil Season 1 beat both of the MCU theatrical releases this year, maybe a hint of what's to come? I have faith in the Russo Brothers, but after seeing how the seams started to show in Age of Ultron, the personal, intimate, lengthy story of Daredevil (and hopefully the other Defenders) is quite refreshing.

Plus I have to say, even in a "smaller" film like Ant-Man, the CGI lightness and bloat of these blockbusters is finally wearing on me. The fight between Daredevil and Nobu, the visceral, real physical nature of it delighted me more than any action in Ant-Man, with nothing to say of the hallway fight or the Kingpin scenes. Well done, Netflix MCU.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. The Avengers
3. Iron Man
4. Iron Man 3
5. Captain America: The First Avenger

6. Daredevil: Season 1
7. Avengers: Age of Ultron
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
9. Thor
10. Ant-Man

12. The Incredible Hulk
13. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 2
14. Agent Carter: Season 1
15. Iron Man 2

16. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1

2. The Avengers
3. Daredevil
4. Iron Man
5. Ant-Man
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
7. Thor
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
10. The Incredible Hulk
11. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
12. Agent Carter
13. Iron Man 2
14. Thor: The Dark World
15. Iron Man 3

Man, looking at all the rankings, I have to ask: Am I the only one who doesn't hate Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

For me Daredevil is definitely up there with the best, maybe it's even THE best thing Marvel has put on the screen. But being a tv-show helps. We know these characters more than some of the movie characters, even though those have been around for 6-7 years now.

Waaay at the top. I'm not going to lie, outside the first Iron Man and Winter Soldier I've been pretty meh about the MCU. Not for lack of trying. I've given them all a chance (outside this year's releases and GOTG which I'm sure I'll see at some point, and Thor 2 which I just never bothered with since I really didn't care for the first) but there is something about the MCU that feels too safe. Alot of them are okay enough but I forget about them instantly. To each their own though, just decided they aren't my cup of tea for the most part, Daredevil is the exact opposite for me. One of the best things on television and is basically tied with the Nolan Batfilms and X2/DOFP as far as favorite non-animated adaptions of a superhero. If I had to rank though it would probably look like this:

Daredevil
CA: WS
Iron Man
CA: FA
Iron Man 3
Avengers
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Iron Man 2
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Which in fairness I only gave like 2/3rds of the first season a shot)

Isn't the current DD series based on Frank Miller's run ? Would the fans have enjoyed the series if they had not taken such a dark and grounded tone and not based it on Frank Miller's DD ?

What I'm asking is ... is the show's popularity due to Frank Miller's take in the series ?

So, most Marvel Fans like Frank Miller ? I'm asking be'cause most DC fans just like his Batman Year One and TDKR (not his other Bat stories) , other Superman fans hate Frank Miller. :oldrazz:

2. Daredevil: Season 1
3. Iron Man
4. The Avengers
5. Guardians of the Galaxy

6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
7. Ant-Man

8. Captain America: The First Avenger
9. Iron Man 2

10. Thor
11. Iron Man 3
12. The Incredible Hulk

13. Thor: The Dark World

Isn't the current DD series based on Frank Miller's run ? Would the fans have enjoyed the series if they had not taken such a dark and grounded tone and not based it on Frank Miller's DD ?

What I'm asking is ... is the show's popularity due to Frank Miller's take in the series ?

So, most Marvel Fans like Frank Miller ? I'm asking be'cause most DC fans just like his Batman Year One and TDKR (not his other Bat stories) , other Superman fans hate Frank Miller. :oldrazz:

I think a lot of people think it's some of Frank Miller's best work before he went off into the realm of his more absurd/bad stuff, which I think starts off with the sequel to The Dark Knight Returns and continues with everything after that.

Frank Miller is probably my favourite Daredevil writer, and the show has a lot of him in it, but I would say that the show resembles the Bendis/Maleev run the most.

Daredevil Season 1
The Avengers
Iron Man
Captain America: The winter soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy

The Incredible Hulk
Agent Carter
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 2
Captain America: The First Avenger
Agents of SHIELD Season 1
Thor
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man 3

Haven't seen Ant-Man and haven't finished AoS Season 2 yet.

Frank Miller is probably my favourite Daredevil writer, and the show has a lot of him in it, but I would say that the show resembles the Bendis/Maleev run the most.

Also, Miller is not the only "dark" writer for Daredevil.

The problem isn't with "dark", its with "inappropriate dark". Daredevil should be darker than Ant-Man. . . and Superman should be brighter than Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"