Constantine Animated Series

Fallen Angel

Earth Bound
Reaction score
Constantine Resurrected as Animated Series by CW Seed http://thr.cm/SNuMnD

Constantine is coming back.

The DC Comics drama, which was most recently adapted for TV by NBC, will return as an animated series on The CW Seed, it was announced Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

Matt Ryan, who starred in the short-lived NBC drama, will voice the lead character.

The animated series will consist of five or six 10-minute episodes that will premiere during the 2017-18 TV season. On CW Seed, Constantine joins fellow animated DC Comics series Vixen, which launched its second season in October. Like Vixen, which is set in the Arrow universe that consists of CW live-action dramas Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Constantine has crossed over with Arrow in the past.
Ryan reprised the role in a 2011 episode of Arrow shortly after the series was canceled by NBC. Both Constantine and Arrow, like all of DC Comics-inspired TV series, are produced by Warner Bros. TV.

Last edited:
10min episodes? Thats more then what Vixen gets.

But it's exciting.

Yaaaaaaaassss

Hope they don't shoehorn in too much of the Arrowverse and just let Constantine grow his own corner of the universe.

Hopefully they can finally finish off that vague "rising darkness" storyline and then get into something good.

This is the best and most surprising news of the year so far.

Rather have a live action show, but this is better than nothing.

Haven't watched the CW seed cartoons before, do they try to do short 10 minute individual stories or are the 10 minute episodes short parts that add up to one larger story?

Haven't watched the CW seed cartoons before, do they try to do short 10 minute individual stories or are the 10 minute episodes short parts that add up to one larger story?

This is double the screentime and yeah so far it's been short webisodes that add up to a larger story. I can see this being longer because they want to do episodic vignettes.

Given that they got Goyer to co-produce this, I think there's a very strong possibility that we'll be seeing stuff that builds on both the character's guest spot on Arrow as well as on the NBC series, which means we could potentially see Chaz, Zeb, Manny, etc. show up at some point, even if they're voiced by different actors.

The Vixen episodes add up to one long story rather than being episodic.

SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS! I love how DC is finding new ways to keep bringing MAtt Ryan back to the role. ITs a cartoon but hey, this is a good thing, this means they they won't be limited by budget and can potentially really go gonzo or darker than they could have on network tv. Essentially, when this is added up, it will be an hour long Constantine animated movie.

Guess its time to finally get up off my ass and watch the tv series.

Next best thing to a live action series. Only wish the episodes were longer.

Rather have a live action show, but this is better than nothing.

Constantine isn't going to get a live action show on CW as long as Supernatural is still ongoing unfortunately.

^ Supernatural's continued existence isn't what's stopping a live-action Constantine revival; the fact that there just isn't room on The CW for another live-action DCTV series is.

Yes, DCTV is bringing the network success, but making that type of programming comprise 99.9 percent of its schedule isn't smart business because it amounts to "putting all one's eggs in one basket".

What I'm referring to is that Supernatural and Constantine are similar properties. Supernatural has borrowed elements from the Hellblazer/Constantine comics. There is no need for two shows that are covering the ground on the network.

Obviously CW would not want to oversaturate their network with too many Superhero shows although Constantine is more of a occult detective than traditional superhero.

Well, it's something. Glad that he's still part of the universe in some way. But like Vixen, I expect the bulk will deal primarily with Constantine related stuff and not as much crossover-heavy stuff. More so because he's so much further away compared to Vixen and her proximity to Star City.

What I'm referring to is that Supernatural and Constantine are similar properties. Supernatural has borrowed elements from the Hellblazer/Constantine comics. There is no need for two shows that are covering the ground on the network.

Obviously CW would not want to oversaturate their network with too many Superhero shows although Constantine is more of a occult detective than traditional superhero.

If CW thought anyone would watch a Constantine series they'd have picked it up after NBC canceled it. Supernatural has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that the NBC series got absolutely horrible ratings.

I really, REALLY didn't want it in the CWverse.

Hellblazer would work a thousand times better in the same sort of realm as Preacher. In fact, I would've started an entirely new series to be on AMC with Preacher, making AMC the " Vertigo network " as opposed to CW's " DC network " .

But whatever . It's something , at least, and Matt Ryan being back is definitely a plus. It's good to see this fantastic character getting more recognition, even if he's straying further and further away from the John Constantine I remember . (That Helblazer Rebirth series is an exception to that and on the right path , though. ) I'll probably still it anyway. Just PLEASE tone it down with the stupid fire-balls-coming-out-of-his-hands-like-he's-in-DBZ crap... I can't stand that , lol.

I really, REALLY didn't want it in the CWverse.

Hellblazer would work a thousand times better in the same sort of realm as Preacher. In fact, I would've started an entirely new series to be on AMC with Preacher, making AMC the " Vertigo network " as opposed to CW's " DC network " .

Tons of issues here:
1. Preacher, while based on a Vertigo Comic, is actually produced by Sony Television. So if a potential WB-owned Vertigo network wanted it, they'd actually have to pay someone else to license it. On the other hand, WB does produce iZombie and Lucifer, which, while loose adaptations, are also based on Vertigo Comics. So if they wanted to go that route it'd be easier. There's also a Y: the Last Man show in development at FX, separate DMZ and Ronin shows in development at SyFy, an Amped show in development at USA, a Scalped show ordered to pilot at WGN, and an Unfollow show in development at ABC. So there's no shortage of Vertigo shows on the horizon.

2. A brand new show is a big risk. Matt Ryan is already known in the role from his appearances on the NBC show, Arrow, and his unrelated upcoming role in Justice League Dark.

3. The original show is already in the Arrowverse. So it not only makes sense from a story perspective to keep it linked to the other shows, but it's also much safer to associate the new show with an extremely successful multimedia franchise (four running TV shows, two dead TV shows, multiple web series, multiple spin off comics and novels)

Not to mention that iZombie airs on the CW, and that's Vertigo, so AMC couldn't really be the Vertigo network with just two shows.

Tons of issues here:
1. Preacher, while based on a Vertigo Comic, is actually produced by Sony Television. So if a potential WB-owned Vertigo network wanted it, they'd actually have to pay someone else to license it. On the other hand, WB does produce iZombie and Lucifer, which, while loose adaptations, are also based on Vertigo Comics. So if they wanted to go that route it'd be easier. There's also a Y: the Last Man show in development at FX, separate DMZ and Ronin shows in development at SyFy, an Amped show in development at USA, a Scalped show ordered to pilot at WGN, and an Unfollow show in development at ABC. So there's no shortage of Vertigo shows on the horizon.

2. A brand new show is a big risk. Matt Ryan is already known in the role from his appearances on the NBC show, Arrow, and his unrelated upcoming role in Justice League Dark.

3. The original show is already in the Arrowverse. So it not only makes sense from a story perspective to keep it linked to the other shows, but it's also much safer to associate the new show with an extremely successful multimedia franchise (four running TV shows, two dead TV shows, multiple web series, multiple spin off comics and novels)

1.) It'd be difficult, but it'd be worth it. I for DAMN sure do not want it to be associated with either of those shows.

2. ) Meh. If JLD can be unrelated , I don't see why Matt can't have a brand new , Goyer-absent, closer-to-the-original-comics show.

3. ) That's my main concern. I don't care for the Arrowverse and I don't care for John being kind of shoehorned into it. NBC tried to neuter the character enough as it is, and they wouldn't even show him smoking onscreen in his Arrow appearance, so I can only imagine how ballsless this take on him is going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"