• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Coronavirus outbreak

5c6nGVZ.png

I know it is a different culture and they have different foods but live wolf pups? Porcupines? To eat? Rats aren't all that appealing either but at least I understand the precedent. That is unsettling. Nothing to do with this virus going around. That can and has come from more acceptable meat like pigs or chickens. I just really find that (literally) distasteful.

From a Times article dated 2017

May 15th, 2017 | Vol. 189, No. 18 | U.S.

The World Is Not Ready for the Next Pandemic
Across China, the virus that could spark the next pandemic is already circulating. It’s a bird flu called H7N9, and true to its name, it mostly infects poultry. Lately, however, it’s started jumping from chickens to humans more readily–bad news, because the virus is a killer. During a recent spike, 88% of people infected got pneumonia, three-quarters ended up in intensive care with severe respiratory problems, and 41% died.

What H7N9 can’t do–yet–is spread easily from person to person, but experts know that could change. The longer the virus spends in humans, the better the chance that it might mutate to become more contagious–and once that happens, it’s only a matter of time before it hops a plane out of China and onto foreign soil, where it could spread through the air like wildfire

That's a much higher death rate than this coronavirus has shown thus far.

Okay... I'm gonna get a little political here and point out something... China for all it's authoritarian heavy handedness is also terribly corrupt across the board and while in many spheres of life they regiment society in almost absurd ways, the government also allows a veritable wild west anything goes facet in a lot of other areas. Case in point... The unregulated use of exotic/wild animals as food for human consumption.

Wanna know why we have the EPA, the CDC, the Food And Drug Admin. and a host of other alphabet soup organizations and government entities whose magisteria is REGULATING and having AUTHORITY over various industries and businesses?

It's to safeguard the public health and wellbeing of YOU and your fellow 330 million American citizens. The "Communist" government of China is actually putting on a masterful display of why trusting the "Free Market" to correct itself as some absolute belief that trumps all else is a ****ing pipe dream.

Meh. I'm sure this is all blown out of proportion by Western media. Like the swine flu and the bird flu and all the other crap.

Vaccinate your kids and yourself and you should be fine.

Meh. I'm sure this is all blown out of proportion by Western media. Like the swine flu and the bird flu and all the other crap.

It's not just about Western Media.

*Turn on Closed Captioning if you don't speak any Chinese dialects.

Even if you are correct, it's not just a question of how bad THIS outbreak is or is not. It's that not only did it occur in the first place, showing the potential vectors for a future, more deadly pathogen, but that as with Bird Flu and SARS the Chinese government is both ill equipped to dealing with such events but also that they obfuscate and hide so much of what happens internally. If China were the only nation on Earth and it didn't have a central place in terms of shipping material and people all over the planet as part of the web of the world economy... Then no problem.

And, this isn't just true about outbreaks of infectious diseases. There are events DAILY within the People's Republic of China that we rarely hear about or which gets downplayed upon first report only for us to find out how catastrophic it really was. Riots, environmental disasters, building collapses and explosions and yes, disease born panic... Daily. Things which would be front page news for weeks or months in the U.S. or Canada happen every day in China.

Is this just overblown media hype? It is hard to say when the Chinese government and even to a degree her people, the average citizens, think it's prudent to paper over anything they feel reflects negatively on China as a whole.

The track record of China with these kind of things isn't great. Media skepticism is fine, often warrented... But without real facts on the ground from the source, it's rather hard to really understand the gravity of the situation. The media "hype" is an inevitable result of the "media blackout" China, politically and culturally employs when things like this happen.

I'm not entirely sure that the flu shot would be effective. This isn't a variation of the influenza virus. It doesn't seem very deadly yet, but that it seems very contagious should be a worrying factor.

It is a worrying prospect for the future that one of these viruses one day could be both ultra-contagious prior to symptoms manifesting and ultra-deadly once they do. With the amount of international travel these days it could take out most countries outside of rural areas before we knew what was happening.

5 cases down here so far.

Germany now has its first case.

Well I need to read into this more for symptoms. First articles that hit of course (like usual) didn't say jack about what the symptoms are.

Yeah that's not a normal issue. They say they can find a vaccine but it'd take months.

On the plus side, Qanon seems to have the solution for their followers. Drink bleach. May Darwin do its work...

Yeah I heard that. I know a few Chinese people that usually do a lot of back and forth from there to here and they are pissed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"