• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

The Amazing Spider-Man Could SM4 Be the End

Hobgoblin-demon

Civilian
Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed, that when a series has an "ok" or "bad" 3rd film, the 4th one tends to be a lot worse, and ends up killing the Franchise for years to come.

Examples:

Alien: 1st 2 were some of the best movies ever made, 3rd one sucked, 4th one killed the series. (AVP does not count)

Superman: 1st 2 were great, 3rd one sucked, 4th one sucked a lot, franchise ends for nearly 20 years.

Batman: 1st 2 were great (not best), 3rd one was corny, but still ok (like Sm3), and 4th one killed it for about 8 years.

I could go on and on, but maybe they should just stop while they are ahead, and later on, if anybody wants to, start a reboot.

Just my opinion, what do you guys think?

They might as well just give spidey nipples on his costume and make every thing in the scene have neon.

They might as well just give spidey nipples on his costume and make every thing in the scene have neon.

I concur... I am getting the Batman & Robin vibe... SM3 was only the tune-up...:csad:

Great point, but correct me if I'm wrong, but in all of those series, there was more than one director doing the movies. That's not the case with spiderman, and I think Raimi will keep in mind the fan's reaction. I personally liked spiderman 3 and I can't wait for another one. To several fans he "ruined" 1 out of the 3 movies, so we should just wait and see how the 4th one is before any reboot talk.

^I agree this wont happen to the Spidey movies. The movie is in Sam's hands i know it will be good.

Well, the way I see it is that Spider-Man 3 to me was not as bad as any of those. It was FAR superior.

Personally, I liked Alien 3. Alien and Aliens were better, but 3 was good. Resurrection was garbage.

I watched Batman Forever tonight actually lmao. It's a fun movie, taken as a comedy in my eyes. How Batman should be? God no. But it's not a BAD movie. Batman and Robin over did it by far, making it awful. Forever is entertaining to watch, fun to laugh at with only a few good things in it.

Spider-Man 3 can't be compared to that. I have no idea how anyone can do so, but that's just me. Sam Raimi is great, I think his fourth will be fantastic.

Well, the way I see it is that Spider-Man 3 to me was not as bad as any of those. It was FAR superior.

Personally, I liked Alien 3. Alien and Aliens were better, but 3 was good. Resurrection was garbage.

i dig Spider-Man 3 a LOT. does it have problem areas? god yes. but is it still rly good, heck yah. i love Alien3. i think its as good as ALIEN and ALIENS, i see those three as the trilogy. and yes "Ressurection" is complete and utter garbage.

Spidey 3 was mediocre (I thought it was okay) because of too many story lines & Rami being pressured to use Venom when he didn't want to.

If they let Rami use villains he want & only have 3 storylines tops, it'll be fine.

Spider-Man 3 can't be compared to that. I have no idea how anyone can do so, but that's just me. Sam Raimi is great, I think his fourth will be fantastic.
Very true! IMO, Spider-Man 3 is really superior to Batman Forever. I mean, if you think about it, Batman Forever had more flaws. However, it wasn't a bad film.

I watched Batman Forever tonight actually lmao. It's a fun movie, taken as a comedy in my eyes. How Batman should be? God no. But it's not a BAD movie. Batman and Robin over did it by far, making it awful. Forever is entertaining to watch, fun to laugh at with only a few good things in it.

I Repsectfully Agree.

Here come the crazies that think SM3 was great. SM3 wasn't a total bomb but when compared to SM1 and SM2...yes it totally sucked. It is cheesy and contrived with bad acting, a stupid plot, 4 characters fighting for screen time with little to no development, and really convenient...the meteor lands right next to Peter:dry: The little kids in this movie are terrible...terrible. Harry's amnesia is about the stupidest plot device in existance. Bernard the butler was stupid, Mary Jane was whiny and lame, and of course Eddie Brock/Venom was a total let down. If SM4 is any way near that again...this franchise will fail.

X3 was better than this and that says a lot:o There were some bright spots but the glaring black holes sucked them in. I think SM3 could have been great and on par with the rest of the franchise if Venom were left out. Because he wasn't, Sandman and Venom both failed and THC barely got any screen time...it was a mess.

And nobody is comparing SM3 to a single movie like Batman and Robin, they are comparing the Spider-Man franchise with the old Batman franchise. A great origin movie at its time, a better, bigger sequel, and then a bad third movie that leads on to an even worse fourth movie. So yeah, I would say I am scared for this franchise as well and those concerns from others are not unfounded.

Last edited:
Here come the crazies that think SM3 was great. SM3 wasn't a total bomb but when compared to SM1 and SM2...yes it totally sucked.
Opinion?
If SM4 is any way near that again...this franchise will fail.
This is more true than sticking a fork in an electrical outlet, it'll end up bad :csad:. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to remain optimistic. :O He did give us 1 & 2, was given less control over 3. I think the studio saw their mistake, and will at least give us a better movie than the third. That much I can hope, and look forward to, for now at least. :up:

Oh and I enjoyed 3 too, teeheeheehee

aheathosnap.png

Here come the crazies that think SM3 was great. SM3 wasn't a total bomb but when compared to SM1 and SM2...yes it totally sucked. It is cheesy and contrived with bad acting, a stupid plot, 4 characters fighting for screen time with little to no development, and really convenient...the meteor lands right next to Peter:dry: The little kids in this movie are terrible...terrible. Harry's amnesia is about the stupidest plot device in existance. Bernard the butler was stupid, Mary Jane was whiny and lame, and of course Eddie Brock/Venom was a total let down. If SM4 is any way near that again...this franchise will fail.

X3 was better than this and that says a lot:o There were some bright spots but the glaring black holes sucked them in. I think SM3 could have been great and on par with the rest of the franchise if Venom were left out. Because he wasn't, Sandman and Venom both failed and THC barely got any screen time...it was a mess.

And nobody is comparing SM3 to a single movie like Batman and Robin, they are comparing the Spider-Man franchise with the old Batman franchise. A great origin movie at its time, a better, bigger sequel, and then a bad third movie that leads on to an even worse fourth movie. So yeah, I would say I am scared for this franchise as well and those concerns from others are not unfounded.

"Crazies" are the ones who like Spidey 3? o_O
If you want to play like that, I can say crazies are the ones who DON'T like it. :o

I thought this movie juggled its storylines very well. Venom didn't need much more, just needed to live. Sandman got enough screentime and was used perfectly, and one of the only characters where I like his movie version more than the comics. As for the conveniences, movies are made up of them. It's what makes it more interesting and ties it in better. How people can say that about Spider-Man 3, but ignore some of the just as ridiculous ones in Spider-Man 2 is beyond me. I don't give ass about a coincidence as long as it's not OVER done. Symbiote landing next to Peter saved hella time. No Secret Wars, no shuttle crash.

As for Batman, I don't think Batman Returns was as good as Batman. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on that.

Raimi>Schumacher. It's that simple. Spider-Man 4 will bomb with fans if they nit pick it again I'll agree with that.

Here come the crazies that think SM3 was great.

It is going to get ugly here a year from now... almost as bad as Wolverine... can't wait.... all I can say is let people have their own personal opinions... no sense arguing about personal likes/dislikes.

Sam Raimi is NOT Joel Schumacher.

No... but Schumacher is not a terrible director by any stretch of the imagination. Neither is Raimi... but if he continues in the same direction as SM3 then the comparisons may become more validated.

Last edited:
Raimi actually made 2 good superhero films, though. And some people did like SM3. Schumacher doesn't have that to go by. When you look at all three people who directed Batman, Schumacher's movies would get the thumbs down. The fact that he couldn't upgrade a Batman movie over Burton is dissappointing IMO.

It's just as ridiculous to declare sm4 won't kill the series as it is to declare sm4 will kill it. If you look at the facts there are pros and cons:

PRO:
-Same director
-Sm3 was not complete crap
-Same Actors

CON:
-Sm3 can't compare to the first two and is by far the worst of the series
-The last film (Sm3) already had signs of cheese
-They seem to want to keep packing as much villains in one movie

Personally, I'd say the film has about a 60% of failure and 40% of success which is a lot better chances that I would have given B&R , Alein 4 and Supes 4.

Maybe. Maybe then you'll get the reboot that so many are hollering for.

I still admire Raimi's talents, inspite of SM3. The man did give us The Evil Dead, along with SM1 and 2. Look, SM3 was clearly not on par with the first two installments of the franchise, but the same mistakes will not be repeated again.

Im glad to see people feel the same way as I do. Alien 3 was decent, Ripley sacrificed herself and ended the trilogy. I have no idea why they brought her back in Ressurection, along with hybrids and clone monsters... The alien universe was interesting enough to survive without Ripley or any 'new' creatures. And Joss whedons 'sarcastic teenage girl' humour was alittle too strong.

On spidey, Tobeys screen test gave me the impression that Raimi origionally had a much different idea on how to shoot spider-man. It must have been the studios who told him to brighten it up and flatten the world for the kiddies. Spidey 4 could still be good.

every director looses his chemistry with thier sequels when they have to do it over and over again. It was good he took the time off, but it doesn't promise any of us of a better sequel to third. I don't think it will be worse, probably on Par with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"